Re: [Meditation Society of America] Journal Entry - tosime

  • Michael Read
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2002
      Questions: What is the source of the insights we gain during
      meditation? How can we know if they are true?

      These questions are excellent. The source is life itself.

      The insights are the product of three things.

      1. unfettered imagination - or that inborn ability to consider possibilities.
      2. instinct - the basic drive for survial
      3. intellect - the ability to aply simple logic

      We know the truth of these insights by trial and error. So, to understand the insights we may test them with thought and wiegh them against our experience. If we feel that the application of a particular insight has a beneficial result, we may say the insight is true.

      A more zenlike answer might point out that sitting down to meditate to gain insights is a waste of time. Insight can come at anytime and in any place. Rather, one should understand one's own mind as the universal mind. This is seen as most difficult to do. After all, as we observe the antics of the mind as it plays across the screen of our awareness, we see the tricks it plays as it jumps about from one thing to the next. Well, we are at times during meditation - paying close attention to the mind. Naturally, it thinks something is now required of it. But, since we haven't really given it anything to do. No solvable tasks to perform, it makes things up.

      At other times our attention focuses on itself. And, one of those times - bingo!

      note: time date and cirumstance wait for no one

      loveya - michael