Journal Entry

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 27, 2002
      Date: June 27, 2002
      Time: 3:00pm
      Duration: 25 minutes
      Technique: Breath and body awareness
      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed

      Chanted Om silently for most of the session. Mind chatter was medium.
      Back pain was pretty uncomfortable today. Started to feel sleepy so I
      ended my session early.
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 28, 2002
        June:28
        Time: 7:00am
        Duration: 30 minutes
        Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed
        Technique: Body and breath awareness, chanted Om silently

        Interesting session today. Mind chatter was minimal and my
        concentration very good. About halfway through my session I was
        interrupted for a few minutes. When I tried to get back into
        meditating I witnessed myself feeling aggravated that I had been
        interrupted while I was having such a "good" session. I was able to
        detach from this and realize that these frustrated feelings were not
        solid. That they just pass by like my thoughts. Although I've heard
        this concept many times, this was the first time that I actually
        witnessed it while it was happening. I was able to gain some
        concentration again but not as strong as before. Would have liked to
        continue but ended my session in anticipation of my husband coming
        downstairs to go to work. Interestingly, I had almost no back pain
        today. Just the slightest amount of an uncomfortable feeling.
      • eveneon
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 1, 2002
          Date:July 1
          Time:6:00am
          Duration:45minutes
          Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed
          Technique:Body and breath awareness

          Had a hard time getting started today, but towards the middle of my
          session my concentration improved. Minimal back pain today. Usually
          chanting OM is helpful in keeping my concentration but today it was
          more of a hindrance. I was concentrating on too many things at one
          time, so I decided to just focus on my breath and really pay
          attention to body awareness. Today session was longer than usual.
        • eveneon
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 2, 2002
            Date: July 2, 2002
            Time: 6:30am
            Duration 40 minutes
            Position: Eyes closed, sitting in chair, palms facing up, index
            finger touching thumb
            Technique: Body and breath awareness.

            "Good" session today. Concentration was strong and mind chatter
            minimal. Back pain practically non-existent. Something different
            occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I just see blackness.
            But about 15 minutes into my session I started to see little light
            pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise, similar to what I
            see when I first come out of meditation. This became my anchor or
            focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but I just never noticed
            it before. I was enjoying my meditation very much and did not want to
            end my session, but did so because I heard my husband wake up, which
            reminded me that I had to take care of some things before he left for
            work. I'm definitely noticing improved concentration the more I
            meditate.
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 2, 2002
              eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I
              just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I started to
              see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
              similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
              became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but
              I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
              much...

              Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
            • eveneon
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 3, 2002
                Date :July3
                Time: 6:30am
                Duration: 30 minutes
                Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up
                Technique: Body and breath awareness

                Hard to concentrate today. A lot of mind chatter. I didn't sleep well
                last night and I think this has something to do with it. It is also
                very hot and humid in my house making it extremely uncomfortable.
                Mild back pain.
              • gangak000
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 3, 2002
                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes
                  closed, I
                  > just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I
                  started to
                  > see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
                  > similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
                  > became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been
                  there but
                  > I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
                  > much...
                  >
                  > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!

                  G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......

                  word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
                  along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until you reach
                  the Source from which all proceeds from.....

                  shanti om ...g...
                • eveneon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 4, 2002
                    --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "gangak000"
                    <crystalkundalini@h...> wrote:
                    > > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
                    >
                    > G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......
                    >
                    > word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
                    > along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until
                    you reach
                    > the Source from which all proceeds from.....
                    >
                    > shanti om ...g...

                    No chasing here. Just observing.

                    Eve
                  • eveneon
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 6, 2002
                      Date: July 6, 2002
                      Time: 8:00am
                      Duration: 35 minutes open
                      Technique: Body and breath awareness
                      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, index finger touching thumb,
                      palms up

                      Today my concentration seemed to be stronger at the beginning of my
                      session rather than the end. Mind chatter was moderate. I had a few
                      ideas come to me for projects I have been working on. I was able to
                      let them go and trust that I would remember them after my meditation
                      (which I did). Although I wasn't thinking about these ideas that had
                      come to me, I guess the excitement of this kicked up the mind
                      chatter. It was a little harder to concentrate after this happened. I
                      felt relaxed and calm at the end of my session. Only noticed mild
                      back pain a couple times.
                    • eveneon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                        Date: July 8, 2002
                        Time: 8:30am
                        Duration: 15 minutes
                        Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up, index finger
                        touching thumb
                        Technique: Body and breath awareness

                        Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not sure
                        why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like my
                        lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open my
                        mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy nose
                        so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                        session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                        unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                        not to try and continue.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                          eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not
                          sure why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like
                          my lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open
                          my mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy
                          nose so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                          session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                          unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                          not to try and continue.
                          Comment: Dear Eve, Have you heard that we are experiencing an air
                          quality problem in our area (N.E. America)? This is caused by what
                          must be an enormous fire in Ontario, Canada. Bette, who has asthma,
                          had trouble this morning just walking the 30 or so feet to her car.
                          As you know, I usually feel that "failed" meditation sessions have
                          the best potential to learn from, but in this case, I can't even
                          recommend taking a deep breath and calming down. You'd probably pass
                          out. BTW, have you tried any healing techniques for your back
                          problems?
                        • eveneon
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                            Hi Bob. I did hear about the fires but didn't think that it could
                            effect me. However, after watching the news this morning I realised
                            that it could be a problem when they said that there was a smoke
                            advisory today. It's pretty wild that a fire so far away could effect
                            us down here.
                            I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I figured
                            that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have it, that
                            it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to trying
                            something though. I might be nice to have something to shift my
                            meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend something
                            to try?
                            Thanks,
                            Eve

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 8, 2002
                              Eve wrote:
                              > I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I
                              figured that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have
                              it, that it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to
                              trying something though. It might be nice to have something to shift
                              my meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend
                              something to try?
                              Thanks, Eve
                              Dear Eve,
                              At one time, my first impulse would have been to say "Baily's Irish
                              Cream", but that's just the eternal teen-ager in me looking for
                              acceptance through being funny. Now, all grown up (or down, depending
                              on your viewpoint), I'm going to suggest checking out the healing
                              techniques on our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/week29.html
                              BTW, this is the 2nd time in 24 hours I've suggested this, so I
                              expect doing it again very soon - or is this just an example of
                              holding on to folk lore and treating it as truth. Nah, not in this
                              case. Everybody knows that it's scientific fact that things happen in
                              3's. Oops - there goes that teenager again. Seriously, I hope that
                              you have learned all you need to from the back pain, and that one of
                              the methods discussed on the site, or something else, helps effect a
                              complete relief of your discomfort. After all, the Eagles training
                              camp opens in 18 days, and we all need to give football our complete
                              attention thereafter. Hey - how about that. The teenager came out 3
                              times. Yep - scientific proof if I ever saw it!
                            • eveneon
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                                Thanks Bob. I checked out the healing meditaions and will try them
                                next time my back pain kicks in. Interestly, I had no back pain today.
                                Eve

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 9, 2002
                                  Date: July 9, 2002
                                  Time: 8:20am
                                  Duration: 45minutes (open)
                                  Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms facing up resting on
                                  knees
                                  Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                  Very good concentration today. I was able to stay focused almost
                                  continuously. I really had no back pain today except for a moment or
                                  two of noticing a mild discomfort, which quickly passed. But I did
                                  however also notice some mild discomfort in my jaw. Not enough to
                                  distract me. Today's session seemed to have a different quality to
                                  it, but I don't think I can describe it. I can only say it seemed to
                                  be more of a watching or "witnessing" of my thoughts. I meditated in
                                  a different room and facing a different direction. I don't know if
                                  this had an influence or not. Possible I suppose. Longer than normal
                                  session today. Very calm and relaxed afterward.
                                • eveneon
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                                    Date: July 10, 2002
                                    Time: 8:20am
                                    Duration: 40 minutes (open)
                                    Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms on knees facing up
                                    Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                    Not much to say about today's session other than it was similar to
                                    yesterdays. My concentration was not quite as strong, but still good.
                                    Seemed to be weaker towards the end. No back or body pain of any kind
                                    today.

                                    Insights: Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                    physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                    In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                    much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all temporary.
                                    Just witness.
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
                                      Eve wrote:
                                      Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                      physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                      In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                      much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all
                                      temporary.
                                      Just witness.
                                      Comment: Sometimes wisdom floats by. This is a great example. Thanks!
                                    • eveneon
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 11, 2002
                                        Date: July 11, 2002
                                        Time: 8:40
                                        Duration: 40 minutes
                                        Position: sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms resting on knees
                                        facing up
                                        Technique: Breath and body awareness

                                        Today was all about body awareness. I started my session the same way
                                        I usually do, scanning my body for tension then focusing on the sound
                                        and feeling of my breath. I was finding it difficult to concentrate
                                        and noticed some back pain starting to build so I decided to try some
                                        healing visualization techniques. I focused on drawing healing energy
                                        (represented by an iridescent purple/pink/bluish color). I imagined
                                        bringing this in through my breath and my arms, legs, and head. I
                                        would hold this energy in my body and see it moving around, and then
                                        I would exhale the painful energy (represented by the color red) I
                                        did this for a while I noticed where tension was coming up in my
                                        body. My back pain never left completely, but it changed intensity
                                        and certain times. I was feeling the need to stretch and was starting
                                        to feel a little warm. I just sat with this until I felt it was time
                                        to stop. My concentration seemed to get stronger as my session
                                        progressed. I felt a little achy when I woke up this morning and I
                                        still feel a little achy after meditating. I don't know if this
                                        visualization helped my pain or not, but it gave me something to
                                        focus on, helping me to concentrate a little more.