Question about Michaels posting/teaching

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2002
      Question from Email:
      Dear Bob,
      I did not understand one thing about all that irrelevant talk that
      Michael wrote. If my getting enlightened is going to depend on me
      understanding gibberish such as that, I fear I'll never become
      enlightened. What gives? Did that make sense to you or is it some
      private joke? I'd write in the group but didn't want to offend
      Michael since he is obviously someone you respect most highly. I just
      thought it deserved some clarification.
      ***The writer has given permission to post this since being answered.
      Answer:
      I don't even know what I am doing, so I can only guess what he is
      doing, but I will give you my feeling, which is subject to change at
      any time...
      Michael is an enlightened man and could just keep the bliss to himself
      and not share a thing. Do you know the term Bodhisattva? He's being
      very generous, and is really telling it like it is, and sometimes
      does it from the nondual perspective, but most often with a wit and
      looseness not found easily or often. In the last few years, this
      "Nondual" method of enlightenment has grown like wildfire. What you
      will commonly find is a teacher - and there are alot of them now -
      whose technique is to throw everything back on the seeker by asking
      them "Who are you?", "Who is saying this", and a few other very
      similar cliches that are intended to draw the seeker to look within
      and awaken to the present moment and inner Witness that is not their
      body, emotions, mind/ego. This mimics the method used by the great
      Indian saint, Ramana Maharshi. Many of these teachers went to India,
      were in the presence of one of Maharshi's disciples (most usually
      Papaji), had a high experience, and thought they got enlightened and
      had been commissioned to enlighten others. They copied the "Who are
      you" method and started teaching. The emphasis is on not having to
      meditate, pray, gain mastery over their desires, or anything. You
      just have to see the Reality that is everpresent and that seeking of
      any kind prevents you from experiencing. The seeking is considered
      the suffering. Anyway, Michael points you to this without the pompous
      "higher then thou" persona that some of these teachers take on. He
      has fun being free of both seeking and having to play what I (and
      others) call being a Ramana parrot. Lets look at one of the posts:

      how many times you done read it
      said it
      heard it
      repeated it
      been told by your own guru
      felt it to be true
      and wanted it oh so much!

      still though didn't understand it?

      yo! dudes and dudettes!

      you are

      still silly old IT - michael

      See - Michael has actually told you what one of the other type
      teachers would have taken hours or a weekend seminar to share, in
      just a few words. IE: You don't have to look anywhere, or do anything,
      just BE, because "you are". As we used to say back in hippie days,
      can you dig it?
    • mareadba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2002
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., medit8ionsociety >
        > See - Michael has actually told you what one of the other type
        > teachers would have taken hours or a weekend seminar to share, in
        > just a few words. IE: You don't have to look anywhere, or do
        anything,
        > just BE, because "you are". As we used to say back in hippie days,
        > can you dig it?

        Thank you, Bob and no_reply.
        You know how many times it has been said - you are what you seek?
        The kingdom of heaven is within. Be as child?
        And gee, such lovely words. We like to frame them up in nice frames
        and admire them, point to them and cherish them. Ah, but when we
        start to take them to heart! Oh my!

        loveya - michael