Journal Entry - tosime

  • tosime2001
    Message 1 of 99 , Jun 27, 2002
      Notes: Posting your meditation journal is an excellent opportunity to
      share your meditation experience so others can learn from your
      insights and reflect on their own practice. You will find that
      posting a journal is a good motivator for regular, progressive
      meditation. Please use any format you wish. Feel free to ask
      questions in your post, respond to questions in other posts and
      comment on any aspect of each entry. While meditating, be careful to
      avoid a mind commentary that anticipates posting a journal entry as
      this can distract from your meditation session. Avoid judging your
      sessions based on what you read posted by others.

      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: June 27
      Variation: Focus on breath
      Time: 07:15 a.m.
      Duration: 41 minutes (open)
      Posture: Seated on chair
      Body: Eyes closed, tongue tip to pallet, hands on knees-index finger
      touching thumb
      Condition: Dark room. Candles. Incense. Essential Oil – (Bergamot
      + water on burner). Bell.
      Experience: Unusual session. Nervousness of a job interview today
      colored the whole session. The flickering candles were a major
      distraction even though my eyes were closed.
      Mind Chatter: Very high.
      Waves of bliss: None.

      Insights: Our true self. After a normal first stage, I was surprised
      to find a lot of activity at the second stage. It was like entering a
      familiar room and suddenly discovering that it is full of people
      chatting. I was unaware, at my conscious level, of this hive of
      activity below the surface. After my initial surprise and after
      unhooking myself from some of the threads of mind chatter, I decided
      to stand back from all the activity and ask why? Why am I meditating?
      Health? Yes, but there is more. Exploring my subconscious? Yes, but
      there is more. To discover my true self? YES! Everything we do in
      life, everything that happens in life is a pointer to our true self.
      With this insight I tried to reach stage 3 but was pulled back by the
      mind chatter from the second stage. No waves of bliss today!

      Questions: What is the source of the insights we gain during
      meditation? How can we know if they are true?
    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        without
        > meditating
        >
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        >
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        on
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        very
        > little thinking on my part.
        >
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        >
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        slide
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        any
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        thought
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....