Re: Direct Words of Sri Ramana on Guru and Silence/G

  • devianandi
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
      devi: i remember you making fun of my Guru Baba Hari Dass
      for being silent...

      G: one may remain in silence and still speak... it has to do
      with the mind and not the movement of the mouth.... mouni is
      silent mind.... but many confuse it with no speaking ...
      although sometimes when the mind is stilled then also one simply
      finds no need to speak....
      devi: i'm sure that baba hari dass doesn't get confused..i still
      answer that inner silence, added to this, outer silence is more
      powerful then inner silence with verbalization...
    • asimpjoy
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
        (snip)
        > I sat in Silence this morning,
        > And watched my mind chatter.
        > ... I wonder if it will ever end?

        G: where is it rising from ?

        **** T: I don't know?
        "Intellectually" I say it is a biochemical reaction in the brain.
        First there is a perceptual stimulus, which then creates the reaction
        of thought, and then thinking creates the reaction of more thought -
        challenge and response, and then another challenge and another
        response, and so on and on.
        ... A habitual process that just keeps on going, with seldom even a
        brief pause.

        However, I don't think this is what you are asking, is it?
        ... And so I say I don't know.

        Where does it come from? And where does it go?
        ... I don't know. I don't know?

        Maybe I need to pay better attention?

        Love,
        Tony
      • G
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, asimpjoy
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > (snip)
          > > I sat in Silence this morning,
          > > And watched my mind chatter.
          > > ... I wonder if it will ever end?
          >
          > G: where is it rising from ?
          >
          > **** T: I don't know?

          > "Intellectually" I say it is a biochemical reaction in the brain.
          > First there is a perceptual stimulus, which then creates the
          reaction of thought, and then thinking creates the reaction of
          more thought - challenge and response, and then another
          challenge and another response, and so on and on.
          > ... A habitual process that just keeps on going, with seldom
          even a brief pause.

          > However, I don't think this is what you are asking, is it?
          > ... And so I say I don't know.

          G: really can you believe that chemicals make up thoughts ...?
          if that were true then a chemical could make one a genius...
          quit trying to give an intelligent answer and really look at it....

          so when thoughts come and go does that mean that
          chemicals are not stable that they also come and go?
          what chemical composition comprises the word OM ?
          very quickly one can see that this doesn't hold water.....

          g:> Where does it come from? And where does it go?

          T:> ... I don't know. I don't know?
          > Maybe I need to pay better attention?

          G: so how deeply have you really been enquiring into the nature
          of things? chasing and second guessing thoughts is not
          looking deeply into the nature of things... that is simply creating
          more surface motion... you need to observe ... patiently.....

          then question.... then equiry will begin..... when one get's sick
          and tired of it all..... then they will start to enquire and will
          confront themselves head on ... then barriers will fall.....

          > Love,
          > Tony

          shanti om and love