Insult, Flattery, and Compassion - Tony

  • tosime
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hello Tony,

      I was trying to link a person to the name asimpjoy but drew a blank.

      Can you help me out? Who are you? - simple everyday terms please.

      ...Tony(O)

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, asimpjoy
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > Insult:
        >
        > Is this the desire to hurt another through
        > words or gesture. And why is one hurt, "psychologically"?
        > Often one will insult another to protect one's self,
        > ... As a defensive reaction to the feeling of being attacked?
        >
        > What makes one feel inwardly hurt - insulted?
        >
        > Is it because we want to maintain a certain idea or
        > image about who we think we are, and so we get hurt when
        > someone comes along and takes a poke at it - because we
        have become
        > so identified and attached to this image we have about our
        self, and
        > we don't want it to be disturbed?
        > ... Or perhaps we want to maintain it in the eyes of others?
        >

        > Flattery:
        >
        > Is flattery the way we "butter-up" someone so we
        > can get what we want from them.
        > I know when I feel flattered, because it embarrasses me,
        > and I get this strange feeling of being puffed up and
        manipulated.
        > ... Maybe flattery is words with the hidden agenda of a selfish
        > motive?
        >

        > Compassion:
        >
        > Its a strange thing Compassion, because you never know
        > what it will do. It can insult you or flatter you without
        > even the slightest hint of selfishness.
        > It seems to act from the natural flow of Love - a compliment or
        > reprimand,
        > ... According to whatever is needed.
        >
        > I think that is why Compassion is often so misunderstood.
        >
        > I've noticed that there are those who you can't flatter or insult.
        > ... Maybe they lost their image?
        >
        > With love and affection,
        > Tony

        G: this is why not everyone is meant to be a teacher / guide/
        mentor ..... it takes clarity ... it takes knowing the situation and
        the one that is being worked with .... it takes committment and
        dedication.... balance and wisdom ... not flattery or insults and
        degrading words....

        compassion may wear many faces.... a good teacher knows
        which one is needed in what moment....

        shanti om
      • dan330033
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Insult:
          >
          > Is this the desire to hurt another through
          > words or gesture. And why is one hurt, "psychologically"?
          > Often one will insult another to protect one's self,
          > ... As a defensive reaction to the feeling of being attacked?
          >
          > What makes one feel inwardly hurt - insulted?
          >
          > Is it because we want to maintain a certain idea or
          > image about who we think we are, and so we get hurt when
          > someone comes along and takes a poke at it - because we have become
          > so identified and attached to this image we have about our self,
          and
          > we don't want it to be disturbed?
          > ... Or perhaps we want to maintain it in the eyes of others?
          >

          > Flattery:
          >
          > Is flattery the way we "butter-up" someone so we
          > can get what we want from them.
          > I know when I feel flattered, because it embarrasses me,
          > and I get this strange feeling of being puffed up and manipulated.
          > ... Maybe flattery is words with the hidden agenda of a selfish
          > motive?
          >

          > Compassion:
          >
          > Its a strange thing Compassion, because you never know
          > what it will do. It can insult you or flatter you without
          > even the slightest hint of selfishness.
          > It seems to act from the natural flow of Love - a compliment or
          > reprimand,
          > ... According to whatever is needed.
          >
          > I think that is why Compassion is often so misunderstood.
          >
          > I've noticed that there are those who you can't flatter or insult.
          > ... Maybe they lost their image?
          >
          > With love and affection,
          > Tony

          Yes, Yes, Yes.

          And Yes.

          And the ones who really lost their image,
          you can flatter or insult.

          They lost the image of having no image.

          -- Dan
        • asimpjoy
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "dan330033"
            <dan330033@y...> wrote:
            > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, asimpjoy
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Insult:
            > >
            > > Is this the desire to hurt another through
            > > words or gesture. And why is one hurt, "psychologically"?
            > > Often one will insult another to protect one's self,
            > > ... As a defensive reaction to the feeling of being attacked?
            > >
            > > What makes one feel inwardly hurt - insulted?
            > >
            > > Is it because we want to maintain a certain idea or
            > > image about who we think we are, and so we get hurt when
            > > someone comes along and takes a poke at it - because we have
            become
            > > so identified and attached to this image we have about our self,
            > and
            > > we don't want it to be disturbed?
            > > ... Or perhaps we want to maintain it in the eyes of others?
            > >

            > > Flattery:
            > >
            > > Is flattery the way we "butter-up" someone so we
            > > can get what we want from them.
            > > I know when I feel flattered, because it embarrasses me,
            > > and I get this strange feeling of being puffed up and manipulated.
            > > ... Maybe flattery is words with the hidden agenda of a selfish
            > > motive?
            > >

            > > Compassion:
            > >
            > > Its a strange thing Compassion, because you never know
            > > what it will do. It can insult you or flatter you without
            > > even the slightest hint of selfishness.
            > > It seems to act from the natural flow of Love - a compliment or
            > > reprimand,
            > > ... According to whatever is needed.
            > >
            > > I think that is why Compassion is often so misunderstood.
            > >
            > > I've noticed that there are those who you can't flatter or insult.
            > > ... Maybe they lost their image?
            > >
            > > With love and affection,
            > > Tony
            >
            > Yes, Yes, Yes.
            >
            > And Yes.
            >
            > And the ones who really lost their image,
            > you can flatter or insult.
            >
            > They lost the image of having no image.
            >
            > -- Dan
            **** T: Yes, absolutely!
            ... Because the image of having no image is just another image.