Re: Doubting Jody

  • Gene Poole
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30 1:55 PM
      "jodyrrr" <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      "Jeff Belyea" <jeff@s...> wrote:

      > [snip]
      >
      > > Freedom from doubt can mean
      > > that in one who has been graced
      > > with enlightened realization
      > > that there is no longer a search
      > > for objective truth, no need for
      > > certainty, because "certainty"
      > > is known. Clarity is known.
      > > And clarity has no questions.
      >
      > Yet that isn't what Ganga is suggesting. What she
      > (and her passage) suggests is that the mind of one
      > who is supposedly enlightened is absolutely free
      > from *any* kind of doubt.

      Pardon, but that is not what I read.

      > That may make good copy, but it just ain't the
      > truth, at least for any of those on this page.

      Even so, it is difficult to divine (pardon the
      expression) the actual reality/perspective
      of another... instead, we depend on the words
      they post here... we carefully parse the offered
      logic, compare concepts with our own knowledge
      base, etc...

      > That is, all the minds here belie all the normal
      > doings of minds. These minds may be associated
      > with supposedly enlightened folk, or supposedly
      > unenlightened folk. But the fact remains that
      > these minds display tendencies that would seem
      > to refute what Ganga is saying.

      One mind may display what another does not;
      yet, there is no actual refutation, only comparison,
      with conclusions added as afterthought.

      > Realization is not conditioned by anything within
      > the mind or without. Some may have come to
      > realization in the context of a stilled mind, some may
      > have come in the context of an active mind.

      The difficulty seems to be... that one says that the
      personal context is realization... and then offers
      content which seem, not to come from that context.

      The real question is: To 'whom' does that content
      seem alien to the (stated/realized) context?

      All parties... cling to their own assumed context,
      and offer content, usually mindless of discrepancies
      so revealed... exceptions are rare... yet, this is known
      already, and an accepted part of this peculiar dance...
      it may be, that some are unaware of the accepted
      protocols of venues such as this, and thus take
      offense when questioned, vis, context vs content.

      > My point is this: getting frustrated because your
      > brother drank all the milk isn't a sign of enlightenment,
      > but nor does it indicate any lack of it.
      >
      > --jody.

      True enough... although, in the context of
      this particular (G) issue, it may be a matter
      of simple naivety... innocence if you will...

      So change the analogy to this:

      You have set up in advance an existing system
      in which, when brother drinks milk and you
      feign anger... he is to determine the 'seriousness'
      of your 'state' and thus receive the love you actually
      feel for him, if he succeeds/passes.

      This is done as an initiatory 'test', and will
      be repeated until he 'passes' by just laughing
      and continuing to drink the milk. It is an
      important test, because it represents how
      'real life' actually works.

      ==Gene Poole==