It's About Time

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2003
      You know how the universe often comes up with things simultaneously
      that could hardly be just a coincidence? Well, today I was having a
      discussion about Gurdjieff's great book All and Everything. Now, if
      you don't want me to spoil a part of the ending of this 1200+ page
      book, you might not want to read further. But what we were commenting
      on was how he concludes that the most remarkable thing about humans
      is that they think that they are immortal, and that they have all the
      time in the world to evolve in consciousness. And then just now I got
      this as an add on from the Sivananda mailing list:
      "The secret of success in life is time rightly used. Every moment is
      precious. Time lost is lost for ever." - Swami Sivananda

      It is said that when this kind of thing happens, reflect on it and
      respect it, because it isn't just by chance. It's something the
      universe wants you to understand. And now I've shared it with you. I
      hope you have the time to deal with it. Or, to appreciate that you
      might not, and pay attention to what you would if you didn't have all
      the time in the world.
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 28, 2003
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > You know how the universe often comes up with things simultaneously
        > that could hardly be just a coincidence? Well, today I was having a
        > discussion about Gurdjieff's great book All and Everything. Now, if
        > you don't want me to spoil a part of the ending of this 1200+ page
        > book, you might not want to read further. But what we were
        commenting
        > on was how he concludes that the most remarkable thing about humans
        > is that they think that they are immortal, and that they have all
        the
        > time in the world to evolve in consciousness. And then just now I
        got
        > this as an add on from the Sivananda mailing list:
        > "The secret of success in life is time rightly used. Every moment is
        > precious. Time lost is lost for ever." - Swami Sivananda
        >
        > It is said that when this kind of thing happens, reflect on it and
        > respect it, because it isn't just by chance. It's something the
        > universe wants you to understand. And now I've shared it with you.
        > hope you have the time to deal with it. Or, to appreciate that you
        > might not, and pay attention to what you would if you didn't have
        all
        > the time in the world.
        > Peace and blessings,
        > Bob

        True.

        You don't have forever.

        Don't even assume a next moment -- that
        may well be an imaginary assumption.

        Apply yourself fully now -- this is
        all you've got, all that is available.

        And surprisingly, it turns out to be All indeed.

        -- Dan
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25 6:35 PM
          fellow time travelers:

          A few years ago i ran into this idea about time.

          Time should not be thought of as increments or spaces with a past and
          future incremental nature. It is more clear in a metaphysical sense
          to think of it in terms of duration.

          The duration of the current event is the present. The present lasts
          as long as the current event lasts. Then it is a past event. While
          shopping, shopping is the present moment. Then when it is finished
          it is the past and we can see it for its entirety. What we could not
          see about shopping while it was going on is now clear. This magazine
          is too expensive, these shoes are too red, etc. I shopped too long.
          It is the problem of involvement that keeps realization about the
          present moment on the back burner: that keeps us from seeing our own
          actions in context. That and the inablity to place the beginning and
          middle in perspective until we know the ending.

          It is the same problem as knowing how someone else will take what we
          say before we hear their response. Even then if we unwittingly
          offended them, the defenses will keep enlightenment at bay till the
          current event is over for some time.

          So at the end of the day we remember the shopping in context with the
          cooking and working and driving and offending and see the whole day
          as it was. So the shopping which is the past in one sense before the
          day was over, was still the present until the current event of the
          whole day was past. That day is put in context with other days and
          it becomes clear that nothing is the past. Everything is current.

          This allows us to see that only the current exists. Current is an
          interesting word. It also is a flow of energy.

          So a man falls off a cliff. Death is eminent. The whole life of the
          man is that current event which is ending.

          Love
          Bobby G.
        • Jason Fishman
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25 6:47 PM
            Thanks for this Bobby. Although I do see precisely
            what your saying here about retrospection and how it
            often covers up the present moment, I also have
            pondered what a reversal would entail.

            Similar to not being able to describe deep sea diving
            unless one actually deep sea dives. I often wonder if
            we would be able to slow, speed up, stop or reverse
            the appearent speed of time, the duration.

            Peace and Love

            --- texasbg2000 <Bigbobgraham@...> wrote:

            > fellow time travelers:
            >
            > A few years ago i ran into this idea about time.
            >
            > Time should not be thought of as increments or
            > spaces with a past and
            > future incremental nature. It is more clear in a
            > metaphysical sense
            > to think of it in terms of duration.
            >
            > The duration of the current event is the present.
            > The present lasts
            > as long as the current event lasts. Then it is a
            > past event. While
            > shopping, shopping is the present moment. Then when
            > it is finished
            > it is the past and we can see it for its entirety.
            > What we could not
            > see about shopping while it was going on is now
            > clear. This magazine
            > is too expensive, these shoes are too red, etc. I
            > shopped too long.
            > It is the problem of involvement that keeps
            > realization about the
            > present moment on the back burner: that keeps us
            > from seeing our own
            > actions in context. That and the inablity to place
            > the beginning and
            > middle in perspective until we know the ending.
            >
            > It is the same problem as knowing how someone else
            > will take what we
            > say before we hear their response. Even then if we
            > unwittingly
            > offended them, the defenses will keep enlightenment
            > at bay till the
            > current event is over for some time.
            >
            > So at the end of the day we remember the shopping in
            > context with the
            > cooking and working and driving and offending and
            > see the whole day
            > as it was. So the shopping which is the past in one
            > sense before the
            > day was over, was still the present until the
            > current event of the
            > whole day was past. That day is put in context with
            > other days and
            > it becomes clear that nothing is the past.
            > Everything is current.
            >
            > This allows us to see that only the current exists.
            > Current is an
            > interesting word. It also is a flow of energy.
            >
            > So a man falls off a cliff. Death is eminent. The
            > whole life of the
            > man is that current event which is ending.
            >
            > Love
            > Bobby G.

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • texasbg2000
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26 7:09 AM
              <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks for this Bobby. Although I do see precisely
              > what your saying here about retrospection and how it
              > often covers up the present moment, I also have
              > pondered what a reversal would entail.
              >
              > Similar to not being able to describe deep sea diving
              > unless one actually deep sea dives. I often wonder if
              > we would be able to slow, speed up, stop or reverse
              > the appearent speed of time, the duration.
              >
              > Peace and Love

              Hi Jason:

              Thanks for the response. I will ponder what you say about
              retrospection covering the present moment. The idea is my clumsy
              rendition from Henri Bergson the Nobel Laureate in Literature.
              Your loose screw is okay, it is non-threatening.

              Love
              Bobby G.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
                When things happen at the same time, it's often considered a spiritual
                sign from above and something to be paid attention to. As Sandeep has
                so eloquently posted about time today, and as I just got this at this
                time, it seems to be time to post it. In any event, I always enjoy
                Swami Sivananda every time. Enjoy!

                SIVANANDA DAILY READING FOR 3 NOVEMBER
                TIME IS A TRICK

                Time is the mode of the mind. It is a mental creation. Time is a
                trick of the mind. It is an illusion. Brahman is beyond time. It is
                eternity. Go beyond time and rest in the timeless, eternal,
                imperishable Brahman.

                'Up and down', 'within and without', 'high and low', 'big and
                small', 'thin and stout', 'virtue and vice', 'good and
                bad', 'pleasure and pain', 'here and there', are all relative terms.
                They are mental creations only. Up will become down and down will
                become up. This stick is small when compared to that big stick, but
                that big stick will become small when compared with an even bigger
                stick! Within will become without and without will become within.

                What is good at one time is bad at another time. What is good for one
                man is bad for another man. What is dharma for one is adharma for
                another and, what is dharma at one time is not dharma at another time.

                Brahman is neither thin nor stout, neither big nor small. In Brahman
                there is neither within nor without, neither virtue nor vice, neither
                pleasure nor pain, good nor bad. It is a homogeneous essence of bliss
                and knowledge where there is no play of the mind, neither time nor
                space, east nor west, past nor future, Thursday nor Friday.

                Tomorrow becomes today and today becomes yesterday. Future becomes
                present and present becomes the past. What is all this? This is a
                creation or trick of the mind only. In God, everything is in the
                present only; it is here only.

                There is neither night nor day, yesterday nor tomorrow in the sun. It
                is the mind that has created time and space. When you are happy time
                passes quickly. When you are unhappy time hangs heavily. All this is
                only a relative world.

                Life is not a question of creeds but of deeds well done. No life is
                free from difficulties, it is a series of conflicts. Face them boldly
                through the grace of the Lord and the power of his name. Change is
                the law of life. Truth is the law of life. Love is the fulfilling of
                the law of life. Death is the gate to another life. Life is endless.