Thoughts of Sri Ramana M.

  • mlcanow
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7 8:57 AM
      *Meditation is your true nature now.

      You call it meditation because other thoughts distract you. When
      this thoughts are dispelled, you remain in the state of meditation,
      free from thoughts.

      When the practice becomes firm, your real nature shows itself as
      true meditation.

      When meditation is well-established, it cannot be given up.
      It will go on automatically,even when you are engaged in work or
      play. It will persist in sleep, too.

      Meditation must become so deep-rooted
      that it will be natural to one.

      *Your duty is to Be,
      and not to be this or that.

      "I Am That I Am" sums up the whole truth;
      the method is summarized in "Be Still."

      If one inquires as to where in the body the thought "I" first rises,
      one would discover that it rises in the heart;
      that is the place of the mind's origin.

      *GRACE IS WITHIN YOU;
      GRACE IS THE SELF.

      GRACE IS ALWAYS PRESENT
      You imagine it is something somewhere high in the sky,
      far away, and has to descend.
      It is really inside you, in your Heart,
      and the moment you effect subsidence or merger of the mind into its
      Source, grace rushes forth, sprouting as from a spring within you.

      *Pleasure or pain are only aspects of the mind.
      Our essential nature is happiness.

      Happiness is inherent in everyone and is not due to external causes.

      *We forget the Self and imagine the body or the mind to be the Self.
      It is this wrong identity that gives rise to misery.

      *Thoughts change but not you.

      Thoughts form your bondage and are not external to you,
      so no external remedy need be sought for freedom.

      What does it matter if the mind is active?
      It is only so on the substratum of the Self.

      Hold to the Self even during mental activity.

      Because you have lost hold of the Self,
      thoughts afflict you;
      you see the world and doubts arise,
      along with anxiety about the future.

      *There is no use removing doubts.
      If we clear one doubt, another arises, and there will be no end of
      doubts.
      All doubts will cease only when the doubter and his source have been
      found. Seek for the source of the doubter, and you find he is really
      nonexistent.
      Doubter ceasing, doubts will cease.

      *Why do you worry about life and death?

      Deathlessness is our real nature.
      The real "I" exists here and now.

      There is neither creation nor destruction,
      neither destiny nor free will,
      neither path nor achievement.
      This is the final truth.

      from the book:
      The essential teachings of Ramana Maharshi
      A Visual Journey
      (InnerDirections Publishing)
      note: beautiful book not only for the written content but also for
      the photography. To watch this book is meditation on its own.