Olfactory Overload - Tab

  • tosime2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2002
      Hi Tab,

      Had a good laugh at your comments on olfactory overload. Yes, I think
      someone new to my session would have an overload. For me it has been
      a gradual or incremental progression. The candles are not scented.
      The incense is smokeless and hardly noticeable which is why I burn
      two. I adjust the bergamot to be just right for me after over a
      year's practice doing it. I had a slight cold that day so I was
      dripping slightly, before the session started. I think the
      combination of smells and meditation relaxation opened up my sinuses
      more than I expected.

      I have tried meditating with my eyes open, but I find eyes closed to
      be more effective. With the inner sounds approach, I am quite
      conscious of the rush of sounds that happen when I open my eyes. I
      guess our brains do a lot of visual processing. For me meditation is
      best when the brain has reduced sensory processing to a minimum.

      I find it interesting that you would be worried of your house burning
      down if you used candles during your meditation. I put my candles in
      holders. I have never had a problem with flames since there is
      nothing very close to them that could burn. I happen to have a fire
      extinguisher in the room - which I have never used.

      I had an odd experience with bergamot. I used to use another
      essential oil, I have forgotten the name, but it was a Body Shop
      product. When I ran out, I sent someone to buy some more for me. They
      returned saying that the shop had run out of my regular oil and the
      shopkeeper had suggested I try Bergazest - probably a combination of
      Bergamot and lemon. The first time I used Bergazest was the first
      time I experienced the waves of bliss. I can't be sure there is a
      link, since I have been able to experience the waves without the oil,
      however I have a strong suspicion there is a link. I wonder if anyone
      has any knowledge of essential oils and meditation experiences?

      I can understand your concern about writing your meditation
      experiences. My thinking is that when we share our experiences we
      come closer to the higher significance of what we are doing.

      ...Tony