Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Dr Daryl Banned

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
      Sheesh....as if this wasn't to be
      expected....

      As long as this kind of stuff
      triggers a response, this kind
      of stuff continues. ( That is the
      one thing I've learned from my
      interactions on these lists. )

      (And banning someone is everybit
      the response as arguing with them
      is.)

      What's next? Changing the list to
      moderated status? Approving all
      new subscriptions...and putting them
      on moderated status?

      All this because we couldn't just ignore
      someone's attempts to stir up a reaction?

      Yeah, I know. It's your list Bob, and you're
      free to moderate it as you choose. It's
      just that seems that one day we might
      learn from 'experience'..

      Melody

    • Melody
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
        >As long as this kind of stuff
        triggers a response, this kind
        of stuff continues.

        Man, oh man. Speaking of triggering
        a response. This one has triggered
        a really deeply rooted one in me.

        Talk about achilles heels....hoo boy.

        Lots of stuff makes sense now.

        As I said below,

        "It's just that it seems that one day we might learn from 'experience'..."

        Today seems to be a good day to do just that.
        The 'pattern' is now obvious.

        I'm grateful for this thread. Well....kind of grateful. :-)

        Melody

      • Jason Fishman
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
          Do elaborate, melody

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody"
            <melodyande@c...> wrote:

            snip

            > What's next? Changing the list to
            > moderated status? Approving all
            > new subscriptions...and putting them
            > on moderated status?

            For quite a while the list's membership has been subject to approval.
            This came about because for a while, we were put in a situation where
            if you opened a post, you were sent to a neverending forwarding to
            porno sites. Thanks to Sri Jerryji of NDS's suggestion, we dealt with
            that well by going to moderated membership. Similarly, when Neo Nazi's
            starting posting racist messages, they were banned. DrDaryl's death
            threats are worthy of banishment. Now, we see him posting under a
            false name (Ganga's!), and Yahoo has been made aware of this (Thanks
            Gregji!). If we have to, to prevent violence, we will go to moderated
            posts. BTW, Am I wrong to think that if I banned Judi for her words,
            you would be very in favor of that. But, I see her words as leading to
            introspection, and his having the potential to lead to real physical
            acting out. I hope I'm wrong about him, but better safe than sorry,
            and other similar cliche's.

            > Yeah, I know. It's your list Bob, and you're
            > free to moderate it as you choose. It's
            > just that seems that one day we might
            > learn from 'experience'..
            >
            > Melody

            I work with Psych patients every day, and I have learned from
            experience that it is rare that you can underestimate a sociopathic
            personality's actions.
          • Melody
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
              >Do elaborate, melody

              Oh...only briefly.

              I've just come face to face
              with an affliction....kind of
              a core wound, if you will.

              Greg and Bob just played the
              part of my parents here....after
              I told my folks that my brother had been raping me
              for years.

              Their response was so very similar: "apples
              and oranges" kind of stuff....that what my brother did
              wasn't really 'abuse'.

              That hurt more than anything I had ever
              endured from my brother.

              And... as I've just discovered this moment...
              it still does. Like you wouldn't believe.

              So not to feed this 'story' any more, I'm
              just going to stand still a while and feel
              it....let the heart crack all the way open.

              Melody

            • Jason <munkiman4u@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
                Ahhh this clears up quite a bit... Nothing like opening old wounds.
                > >Do elaborate, melody
                >

                > Oh...only briefly.
                >
                > I've just come face to face
                > with an affliction....kind of
                > a core wound, if you will.
                >
                > Greg and Bob just played the
                > part of my parents here....after
                > I told my folks that my brother had been raping me
                > for years.
                >
                > Their response was so very similar: "apples
                > and oranges" kind of stuff....that what my brother did
                > wasn't really 'abuse'.
                >
                > That hurt more than anything I had ever
                > endured from my brother.
                >
                > And... as I've just discovered this moment...
                > it still does. Like you wouldn't believe.
                >
                > So not to feed this 'story' any more, I'm
                > just going to stand still a while and feel
                > it....let the heart crack all the way open.
                >
                > Melody

              • Melody
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
                  >Ahhh this clears up quite a bit... Nothing like opening old wounds.

                  It clears up, for me, what has
                  driven my participation for so
                  long on these lists.....especially
                  in reference to Judi and her
                  'supporters': underneath there
                  has been a desire...not just desire,
                  but insistence....that people see
                  that this stuff hurts, and to be
                  made to see that the
                  'abusers' aren't what they appear to
                  be. (My brother is a department
                  chair at a major university....and
                  a church deacon.)

                  You know...the impression I got
                  from my folks was that they didn't
                  want...and refused to let....any
                  'facts' interrupt their 'idea' of who
                  my brother was.

                  I've been seeing many of you, here,
                  in the same light - as refusing to
                  hear anything that would contradict
                  your current regard for Judi.

                  Gene had it wrong the other day when
                  he said I was playing out the mythos
                  of trying to "save Judi from herself".

                  Although I, too, believed that.

                  I see here, for the first time, that
                  my quest has been to convince you all
                  (as representing my 'parents') that
                  people aren't what they seem....that
                  real ugliness can be hidden....AND
                  to get you to admit that what she
                  does to people is 'wrong' and 'bad'.

                  For years, I had convinced myself that
                  I was doing something 'heroic' in my
                  dealings with my brother since. And
                  it was easy for me to enjoy a sense of
                  heroics in putting Judi's 'sins' on
                  a banner and waving it. But there's
                  nothing heroic about any of that. Not
                  a damned thing. I've been everybit as delusional
                  in my responses as I accused my parents of being.

                  Whoever said "the truth hurts"
                  sure got that right.

                • Jason <munkiman4u@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
                    This is great that your getting this out. Yet, what is the
                    understanding gained? That you are just as blind? In other words
                    I'm trying to figure out the exact "ah-ha" you are seeing.