Gowan Chart explanation - Ramon

  • tosime2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2002
      Ramon,

      I am about half way through the chart and I am beginning to
      understand it. Please correct me where I go off track.

      In the left column we have different states of consciousness. (I
      don't understand the groupings i.e. Prototaxic, Syntaxic etc.)
      The heading of each subsequent column represents a different method
      or approach to meditation from Good/Bad to Integral Yoga.
      The intersection of each method and state of consciousness contains a
      description that best corresponds to that level of consciousness for
      that method.

      Where the intersection is empty then there is likely no equivalent
      state for that method.

      As a starting point, what are the groupings for the levels of
      consciousness?

      Prototaxic
      Parataxic
      Syntaxic (creative)