Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: a revolution of seeing....

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 24, 2003
      >The revolution you are talking about could be different also. My
      teacher believed that revolution was seeing relationships. People
      have a tendency to get tunnel vision. Opening up visually is a
      matter of making conscious comparisons between colors or shapes or
      textures or lines or forms........>

      Bobby, thank you for what you offered here.

      Part of what you say is going to take a bit
      of time to absorb. I think I will 'get it' better
      if I hear this with a paint brush in my hand...
      if you know what I mean?

      I'll let you know.

      thanks again,

      Melody

    • Melody
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 24, 2003
        Hi Bobby,

        I've been looking at this. I get the essence of what you're saying
        (if I'm hearing you correctly) about centering your focus on
        relationships, rather than on the individual elements,

        but I'm not quite sure I follow some of what you're saying.
        Well you amplify a bit:

        >Opening up visually is a
        matter of making conscious comparisons between colors or shapes or
        textures or lines or forms.

        Using the left brain to 'name' what I'm seeing, I'm looking at a picture
        of Osho's hands. (I just love that picture! LOL) Anyway, to describe
        it: it consists of two hands, opened, stretching outwards. [you get
        the jist of it now]

        Now to open up visually, as you're suggesting, I should now notice
        the color of his fingers (and how that color lightens and darkens
        at different points on his fingers. And compare that to the color
        of his finger nails, his cuff, and the color of the background?

        How do you mean then when you say,

        >....if you look for similarities in the field of observation you see
        relationships within each of those fields. When you center only on
        the relationships and never on individual elements an overview
        manifests.

        I'm stuck here. Help, please?

        Melody

      • Melody
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 24, 2003
          Another question, Bobby,

          How do you mean to look for the
          similarity in color and shape, etc?

          I may well be telling on myself here,
          lol, but in color and shapes what
          stands out to my eye is the differences,
          and not the similarities.

          For example if you were looking at green
          and red and white, how would you see
          the similarities?

          I could see that if I were looking
          at green and blue and purple. I could
          see that what they have in common was
          blue. But I don't get the sense that
          that's what you're pointing to here?

          By the way, thanks again. This is
          way good.

          Melody

        • Melody
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 24, 2003
            >If I started a religion it would be the religion of Relative
            Everything. Patanjali describes the mind forming around perception
            in three phases. First there is the limitless potential world ground
            or the raw ingredients where nothing is recognized as separate; then
            there is differentiation or pulling out or recognizing an element and
            naming it; and then there is particularization or the centering on
            the named element. I would add a fourth phase to that; relating
            >elements and seeing relationships.

            This really peaks my interest, Bobby.

            So, do you see the rt brain as that
            which forms the first perception,

            the left brain as forming the second,

            and the left brain centering on
            that named element?

            And perhaps the right brain then relating
            and seeing relationships?

            By the way, which translation of Patanjali's
            Yoga-sutras have you used? I've got the
            one by Pandit Usharbudh, and it's not written
            in what I would consider 'everyday English'.
            It makes my brain hurt trying
            to understand what he's saying.

            Melody

          • texasbg2000 <Bigbobgraham@aol.com>
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 24, 2003
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody"
              <melodyande@c...> wrote:

              > Another question, Bobby,
              >
              > How do you mean to look for the
              > similarity in color and shape, etc?

              It should read 'look for similars'. Look at the reds in the room to
              see which is the brightest red, which is the darkest and so on. Look
              at three shadows at the same time and decide which is the darkest.
              Then see which shadow is bluer, purpler greener and then which is
              warmer or redder. Looked at individually they just look dark but you
              begin to be able to be descriptive when you relate them.

              > I could see that if I were looking
              > at green and blue and purple. I could
              > see that what they have in common was
              > blue.

              I see what you mean here. You are right. But I am just talking about
              something simpler.

              > By the way, thanks again. This is
              > way good.
              >
              > Melody

              Thanks I'm glad to do it.

              Bobby G.

            • texasbg2000 <Bigbobgraham@aol.com>
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 24, 2003
                <melodyande@c...> wrote:
                > >If I started a religion it would be the religion of Relative
                > Everything. Patanjali describes the mind forming around perception
                > in three phases. First there is the limitless potential world
                ground
                > or the raw ingredients where nothing is recognized as separate;
                then
                > there is differentiation or pulling out or recognizing an element
                and
                > naming it; and then there is particularization or the centering on
                > the named element. I would add a fourth phase to that; relating
                > >elements and seeing relationships.
                >

                > This really peaks my interest, Bobby.

                This is in the Georg Feuerstein trans. of "Yoga Sutra".

                > So, do you see the rt brain as that
                > which forms the first perception,
                >
                > the left brain as forming the second,
                >
                > and the left brain centering on
                > that named element?
                >
                > And perhaps the right brain then relating
                > and seeing relationships?

                That is an interesting way of looking at it. All visuals come into
                the right hemisphere. We have the five senses some of which probably
                are located in the left.

                I think differentiation and particularization proceeds as a left
                brain activity because without an already existing mental structure
                you would not be able to name something.

                To be named it has to fit into a pattern of some sort. For instance
                a dog will walk past a computer and not differentiate it from the
                background, but a person will inspect the particulars. The computer
                nerd automatically compares the computer to others because he has an
                overview where I, for instance, am more like the dog.

                I would however, automatically compare the colors of the computer
                with the other colors in my field of vision and that is what I would
                like to see more people do. It fills your life with color but in the
                beginning you have to work for it.

                Love
                Bobby G.
              • Melody
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 24, 2003
                  Hi Bobby,

                  Thanks for all you've shared with me. I look
                  forward to working with this more in the days
                  to come.

                  On a related, and rather synchronistic, note,

                  I just received this offering of Ramesh's
                  in my mailbox:

                  "When both the rational and intuitive planes of mind are allowed full
                  operation, they get superimposed on each other resulting in a fasting of the
                  mind or NO-MIND state. This is the most alert state in which the mind can
                  find itself because of the total freedom in which it can operate - a
                  beautiful, natural blending of discipline and spontaneity."

                  Does this sound like the fourth phase of perceiving
                  reality that you were talking about?

                  Kind of does to me. :-)

                  Something else that just occurred to me is
                  that if two people who tend to perceive
                  reality differently....for example, one in

                  a more linear, naming, rational way,
                  and another in a more intuitive, relative way...

                  are trying to have a conversation, I could
                  see how the two could never really hear
                  each other. They are indeed perceiving
                  two different worlds! I remember now
                  reading about this experiment in which
                  people who had lost that 'linking mechanism'
                  (I forget what they call it....but the ability
                  for one side of the brain to communicate
                  with the other ) between the two hemisheres
                  underwent a series of tests.

                  They were given a picture to read twice..
                  once with one eye closed, and then later
                  with the other eye closed. Each time the
                  subject described seeing two totally different
                  pictures.

                  Well, that could sure explain a lot of communication
                  gaps, couldn't it?

                  Before closing for the evening, I wanted to tell
                  you that I read your article and browsed your
                  gallery. It's as if by seeing those paintings,
                  I was seeing you....in a nonverbal kind of way. :-)
                  Thank you for sharing yourself that way.

                  Melody

                • Jason Fishman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 25, 2003
                    --- Melody <melodyande@...> wrote:
                    > Hi Bobby,
                    >
                    > Thanks for all you've shared with me. I look
                    > forward to working with this more in the days
                    > to come.

                    Firstly, I would like to thank you both for all this
                    well worded information. It was very clear to me and
                    as I often times do, I took time to note exactly what
                    was said. Especial within the discussion of compairing
                    like color values when trying to create, on paper, a
                    masterpiece of ones own imagination.

                    Sculpting and writing are quite different, for me,
                    then that of painting or drawing. In both, there is a
                    more spontaniousness, where no comparing seems to
                    occur. When I sit down to sculpt something, with
                    either wood, ice, clay or words, it always seems to
                    just manifest itself into something and I just follow
                    as it does. When it comes to drawing or painting, I
                    start and blah, I spend to much time trying to create
                    instead of letting it just manifest. I usually end up
                    with a picture looking like what my 6 year old posted
                    in her kindergarden class then anything really
                    detailed.

                    One thing I did find interesting to note is here in
                    this e-mail. The differing perspectives mentioned
                    below by Melody. When looking into anything, life,
                    painting, sculpting, writing, composition or simple
                    discussion. There is only spontanious happenings, only
                    when one stops to try to "create" the flow then does
                    it become difficult to manifest. I know this differs
                    somewhat with what I wrote above, about painting and
                    sculpting differences. Yet, thats just it, the
                    difference is spontanious also, the flow in either
                    isn't different, just the way I view the two seemingly
                    seperate concepts of sculpting and painting.
                    This bring about a whole new connection to "all is
                    one, spontanious happening". All within life and all
                    it's doings, spontaniously.

                    Manifested spontaniously for your reading pleasure.
                    Peace and Love,
                    Jason

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • satkartar7 <mi_nok@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 25, 2003
                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody" <melodyande@c...> wrote:
                      > >If I started a religion it would be the religion of Relative
                      > Everything. Patanjali describes the mind forming around perception
                      > in three phases. First there is the limitless potential world ground
                      > or the raw ingredients where nothing is recognized as separate; then
                      > there is differentiation or pulling out or recognizing an element and
                      > naming it; and then there is particularization or the centering on
                      > the named element. I would add a fourth phase to that; relating
                      > >elements and seeing relationships.
                      >

                      > This really peaks my interest, Bobby.
                      >
                      > So, do you see the rt brain as that
                      > which forms the first perception,
                      >
                      > the left brain as forming the second,
                      >
                      > and the left brain centering on
                      > that named element?
                      >
                      > And perhaps the right brain then relating
                      > and seeing relationships?
                      >
                      > By the way, which translation of Patanjali's
                      > Yoga-sutras have you used? I've got the
                      > one by Pandit Usharbudh, and it's not written
                      > in what I would consider 'everyday English'.
                      > It makes my brain hurt trying
                      > to understand what he's saying.
                      >
                      > Melody

                      Shibendu Ji's granddad's is good

                      http://www.yoganiketan.net/patanjali/patanjali.htm

                      http://dailyreadings.com/ys1-1.htm

                      many links can be found at:

                      <http://www.rainbowbody.net/HeartMind/Links.htm>

                      Karta
                    • satkartar7 <mi_nok@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 25, 2003
                        melodyande@c... wrote:
                        If I started a religion it would be the religion of Relative Everything.

                        <smiles>

                        texasbg2000 wrote:

                        a dog will walk past a computer and not differentiate it from the
                        > background, but a person will inspect the particulars. The computer
                        > nerd automatically compares the computer to others because he has an
                        > overview where I, for instance, am more like the dog.
                        >
                        > I would however, automatically compare the colors of the computer
                        > with the other colors in my field of vision and that is what I would
                        > like to see more people do. It fills your life with color but in the
                        > beginning you have to work for it.

                        Bobby G., i would like to read your
                        other writings; where can i find them?

                        Karta

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 25, 2003
                          <munkiman4u@y...> wrote:

                          > --- Melody <melodyande@c...> wrote:
                          > > Hi Bobby,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for all you've shared with me. I look
                          > > forward to working with this more in the days
                          > > to come.
                          >
                          > Firstly, I would like to thank you both for all this
                          > well worded information. It was very clear to me and
                          > as I often times do, I took time to note exactly what
                          > was said. Especial within the discussion of compairing
                          > like color values when trying to create, on paper, a
                          > masterpiece of ones own imagination.

                          Hi Jason;

                          > There is only spontanious happenings, only
                          > when one stops to try to "create" the flow then does
                          > it become difficult to manifest. just the way I view the two
                          seemingly
                          > seperate concepts of sculpting and painting.

                          I snipped this down so I could comment on the seemingly different
                          concepts of sculpting and painting. The French phrase 'objet
                          d'art" , object of art, is the term used to denote the object itself
                          instead of treating it like it represents something else, i.e., the
                          thing depicted. A painting that is an object of art is a sculpture
                          of paint on canvas. Monet and Van Gogh in particular used the paint
                          as clay to create the object we see on the wall. The scene
                          represented is just a starting point for the arist. The pencil is
                          used in the same way if one is creative with textures.

                          treat your drawing this way and see what happens.

                          Love
                          Bobby G.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 25, 2003

                            > "When both the rational and intuitive planes of mind are allowed
                            full
                            > operation, they get superimposed on each other resulting in a
                            fasting of the
                            > mind or NO-MIND state. This is the most alert state in which the
                            mind can
                            > find itself because of the total freedom in which it can operate - a
                            > beautiful, natural blending of discipline and spontaneity."
                            > Does this sound like the fourth phase of perceiving
                            > reality that you were talking about?
                            > Kind of does to me. :-)

                            Hi Melody:

                            I thinks so too. The word 'intuitive' is taken to be the holoistic
                            side of the brain. In animals the bi-cameral brain, left and right
                            hemispheres, are used for survival. The antelope can bend down to
                            drink at the water hole with the left and keep track of the lions
                            with the holistic side, right. simultaneously.

                            By creating an ego the left can obscure the right side input and to
                            superimpose the two once again I believe is the meaning of that
                            passage.

                            > Something else that just occurred to me is
                            > that if two people who tend to perceive
                            > reality differently....for example, one in
                            >
                            > a more linear, naming, rational way,
                            > and another in a more intuitive, relative way...
                            >
                            > are trying to have a conversation, I could
                            > see how the two could never really hear
                            > each other. They are indeed perceiving
                            > two different worlds! I remember now
                            > reading about this experiment in which
                            > people who had lost that 'linking mechanism'
                            > (I forget what they call it....but the ability
                            > for one side of the brain to communicate
                            > with the other ) between the two hemisheres
                            > underwent a series of tests.
                            >
                            > They were given a picture to read twice..
                            > once with one eye closed, and then later
                            > with the other eye closed. Each time the
                            > subject described seeing two totally different
                            > pictures.
                            >
                            > Well, that could sure explain a lot of communication
                            > gaps, couldn't it?

                            That connecting nerve is something Colossum or something like that.
                            i would have to look it up but it is the passageway by which the two
                            hemispheres communicate. Ordinarily it is said women have a better
                            connection than men in this respect. I think creating art in the way
                            I was talking about it greases this connection as does meditation.

                            Left domination is hardening and right is flighty. They need to
                            temper each other. Balance or the middle path.

                            > Before closing for the evening, I wanted to tell
                            > you that I read your article and browsed your
                            > gallery. It's as if by seeing those paintings,
                            > I was seeing you....in a nonverbal kind of way. :-)
                            > Thank you for sharing yourself that way.
                            >
                            > Melody

                            Thank you Melody for saying that. Since one of them is a self
                            portrait you also saw me in the verbal way.
                            Love
                            Bobby G.
                          • Melody
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 2 9:14 AM
                              > By the way, which translation of Patanjali's
                              > Yoga-sutras have you used? I've got the
                              > one by Pandit Usharbudh, and it's not written
                              > in what I would consider 'everyday English'.
                              > It makes my brain hurt trying
                              > to understand what he's saying.
                              >
                              > Melody

                              Shibendu Ji's granddad's is good

                              http://www.yoganiketan.net/patanjali/patanjali.htm

                              http://dailyreadings.com/ys1-1.htm

                              many links can be found at:

                              <http://www.rainbowbody.net/HeartMind/Links.htm>

                              Karta

                              Hi Karta,

                              Thank you very much for these links.

                              I've been reading Venkatesananda's interpretation
                              of the Patanjali Sutras this morning, and what
                              a pleasure it is to read.....absent any sanskrit
                              terms. It's very good for a 'beginning' read of
                              these sutras.

                              I can see where it may be beneficial to
                              later get a Sanskrit dictionary....so as to
                              be able to read other translations....but for
                              a starter, I much appreciate this one written
                              in easy, everyday English language.

                              much thanks,
                              Melody

                            • satkartar7 <mi_nok@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 2 9:48 AM
                                --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody" <melodyande@c...> wrote:

                                > > By the way, which translation of Patanjali's
                                > > Yoga-sutras have you used? I've got the
                                > > one by Pandit Usharbudh, and it's not written
                                > > in what I would consider 'everyday English'.
                                > > It makes my brain hurt trying
                                > > to understand what he's saying.
                                > >
                                > > Melody
                                > >

                                > Shibendu Ji's granddad's is good
                                >
                                > http://www.yoganiketan.net/patanjali/patanjali.htm
                                >
                                > http://dailyreadings.com/ys1-1.htm
                                >
                                > many links can be found at:
                                >
                                > <http://www.rainbowbody.net/HeartMind/Links.htm>
                                >
                                > Karta
                                >

                                > Hi Karta,
                                >
                                > Thank you very much for these links.
                                >
                                > I've been reading Venkatesananda's interpretation
                                > of the Patanjali Sutras this morning, and what
                                > a pleasure it is to read.....absent any sanskrit
                                > terms. It's very good for a 'beginning' read of
                                > these sutras.
                                >

                                > I can see where it may be beneficial to
                                > later get a Sanskrit dictionary....so as to
                                > be able to read other translations....but for
                                > a starter,

                                i admire this commitment

                                I much appreciate this one written
                                > in easy, everyday English language.