Binaural Beat Technology for Altered States and Meditation ??

  • tosime2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
      Hi Bobby G,

      Could you describe how your sessions on the David Paradise machine
      went?

      Also, what happened when you started meditating on the "I Am"? What
      is your explanation for why the machine had no effect?

      Thanks...Tony

      Dear Wizard:

      I bought a brainwave entrainment device a few years ago and it worked
      very well. It seems that the key to using the device for meditation
      is to induce the alpha waves. This can be done in either hemisphere
      of the brain or both. The Alpha waves are the bridge between the
      beta and theta.
      It was interesting to experiment with the machine called the David
      Paradise (not recommended for epilectics). It cost about $500.

      An interesting book on brainwaves is "The High Performance Mind" by
      Anna Wise. She helped develop a machine that draws a picture of the
      relative srengths of delta, theta, alpha, and beta of people in
      various activities including the highest meditative states. The
      diagram for the highest state is very interesting.

      The paradise machine I mentioned above worked very well for me until
      I started meditating on the I Am. Then it had no effect after that,
      which I thought was interesting too.

      For info on the machine the company where I got mine is Comptronics
      Devices Limited and they have a good website.

      I hope this helps

      Love
      Bobby G.
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tosime2001" <tosime@l...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Bobby G,

        Hi Tony:

        > Could you describe how your sessions on the David Paradise machine
        > went?

        Yes, the machine comes with preset programs that you key in on the
        pad. A booklet describes what brainwave frequency and what brain
        hemisphere will be progammed and the effects. Don the eyepieces and
        earphones and begin the session. Light and sound pulses induce the
        brainwaves.
        I found it very effective.

        > Also, what happened when you started meditating on the "I Am"? What
        > is your explanation for why the machine had no effect?

        I believe the I Am meditation is a balanced mix of brainwaves that is
        stable. It is an effortless meditation.
        Constraint of the fluctuations (vrittis) of Consciousness is the goal
        IMO of all spiritual programs. The I Am is the Aham vritti or first
        fluctuation. If it is held stable in the mind, then all others are
        also.
        Impressions even those from a machine plugged into the senses
        metaphorically bounce off it.
        At any rate as long as I meditated on the I Am the machine would not
        change my brainwaves. The machine was a good reminder though as it
        was a single distraction instead of the infinite number of
        distractions I am usually susceptable to. White noise can also be
        programmed in to keep out annoying sounds and visuals.

        > Thanks...Tony

        My pleasure
        Love,
        Bobby G.