Endorphin Release - Ramon

  • tosime2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2002
      Ramon wrote:

      >waves of endorphin release

      Could you describe these waves in more detail? From where do they
      originate, and how
      do they actually feel?

      Firstly, I am not sure if what I am experiencing is an endorphin
      release. It is the best explanation I have right now - and it seems
      to fit my experience.

      I think it was about 6 months after I started meditation that I first
      experienced these waves. I was meditating normally then suddenly, out
      of nowhere, came what sounded like the continuous tone of a bell. It
      started faintly at first then quickly grew louder. I was so scared
      that I shut it off when it got very loud (the sound responded
      instantly to my thought). Later I decided to open up to the sound and
      see if anything would happen. Eventually the sound started again, but
      not quite as loud as before. I let it reach a crescendo. Instantly I
      felt a warm pleasant wave flow through my body. I had no idea what it
      was. It simply felt very pleasant. I closed my meditation as usual.

      I tried to recreate the experience during the next few meditations
      but nothing happened. Gradually, over several sessions, I could hear
      very faintly, that same bell-like sound. During each meditation
      session, the sound would grow louder but would not peak. On day it
      peaked and I again felt the wave of bliss flow through me.

      I did a lot of research but could not find anything specific. The
      closest explanation was some sort of Kundalini awakening.

      After a while, most of my meditations revolved around seeking these
      feelings of bliss. Sometimes they would happen and other times they
      would not. Sometimes I could experience a flow of peaks - one after
      another. Eventually I decided to suspend my meditation for about 6
      months to see if the break could give me a reorientation. Since I
      recently re-started, the waves have started up again, although much
      fainter than before. I am still not sure if I should follow this
      path. I have a sense that there might be something at the point where
      I can peak the waves.

      It typically takes about 10 -15 minutes of meditation before the
      waves start. I am not sure where they come from, I assumed they
      originated somewhere in my brain. During my next session I will try
      to isolate the location.

      The fist sign I have is a faint higher pitched sound among the mass
      of inner sounds that I hear. If I did nothing the sound may or may
      not get louder. If I focus on the sound I can get it to gently grow
      louder. It is hard to explain how I do this. The best way I can
      describe it is encouragement - I am sort of inducing it to grow.
      Another way I might explain it (and this is not literal) is as if I
      were sucking a liquid through a straw - all in my mind.

      When the sound reaches a peak I feel a sort of wave flow though me.
      It is a blissful feeling. It is not exactly like anything I have felt
      outside of meditation (I have no experience of drugs). After a while
      the feeling subsides and soon afterwards, on a good meditation, a new
      tone will start and I can repeat the process.

      I hope this helps. Has anyone else had this experience?

      ...Tony