Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 73

  • Ramon Sender
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2002
      Tony wrote:

      >waves of endorhpin release

      Could you describe these waves in more detail? From where do they originate, and how
      do they actually feel?

      1) Tongue tip held lightly between teeth - is this to complete the microcosmic orbit? I thought the upper pallet was the contact point.
      There are various traditions that place the tongue firmly behind the upper teeth against the upper palate. This is not the
      same.
      2) How do you focus the silent word 'Now' on the heartbeat rhythm?
      After a sequence of :Level One tongue sucks on the exhale, rhythmically clenching the anal sphincters and pushing
      the diaphragm in and up ('uddiyana bandha') with each exhale, I can easily feel my heartbeat pusling in my throat
      and chest.
      I then begain a series of Level Two 'clucks' with the tongue against the back of the palate, still holding the tip
      of the tongue between the front teeth. These are the 'sleep nursing' sounds a baby makes. I syncrhonize these
      on the heartbeat. Sixty or seventy of these create not subtle but very pronounced waves of energy from below
      the solar plexus. up through the chest and out the arms and hands.
      Once these energy release occurs, I move to Level Three, which is the 'Now' on the back of the tongue.
      This basically is the same movement as the 'cluck,' but just more subtle and silent, so I can do it in public
      without people staring at me and wonderful if I'm a 'cluckhead' (which I am, but the world has not yet been
      made safe for cluckheads (grin))

      > Do you verbalize mentally?
      Yes, I suppose I do, although my main focus is on repeating the word Now silently, although moving
      my tongue tip up and down in what feels like a slightly forward and back rotational movement.

      >What is this aimed at achieving?
      It's aimed at helping me -- reminding me - to remain on the forward slope of the wave of the
      Present - surfing on the Now, so to speak, nefore the formation of thought. I consider losing this wave
      a 'wipe out,' to borrow a surfing metaphor.

      >3) What is nursing movements with tongue and mulabanha?
      Nursing movements with the tongue (Level One) duplicates what a babies do at their mothers'
      breasts. The mulabandha contraction (anal sphincter clench) and the uddiyana bandha (diaphragm
      drawing in and up contraction) following naturally out of a serious suck on the tongue. Having
      observed various nursing babies, I can tell you that a breast-fed baby has to work hard to extract
      milk from the nipple, as opposed to bottle-fed which basically is just pouring down the throat.

      The nipple-feeding baby sound, if made into a word, is more like "DAHH-GUHH" a suck with the
      front tip of the tongue followed by a suck /swallow with the back of the tongue. A bottle-feeding
      baby's word is more or less 'GLUG' - a one-step swallow. I had the privilege of sharing an apartment
      with a breastfed and bottlefed six-month-year-old, and they would crawl around each saying their
      favorite nursing word. "GUH-DAH!" and "GULLAH". Absolutely fascinating.

      >What does it do?
      It does a number of things. It stimulates saliva production, which should be swallowed following
      the Taoist teachings. I like to visualize it as 'Amrita' - or heavenly nectar. It also triggers the
      energy waves I mentioned previously. These energy waves are so blissful that they take me
      out of any thoughts that may be occuring and center me in my heart. I then notice that any
      thoughts that appear - especially the type of thought that begins "Oh! I should be -- " seems
      to trigger an energy wave in my hara - lower belly - and I can focus on the energy instead of
      on the thought.

      >4) What are sleep nursing 'clucks'?
      When a baby dreams of nursing, they make nursing movements with their tongues
      that include little clucking sounds as they create and release a small vacuum betwen their tongues
      and the back of the palate. If you don't get it, say "Kuh Kuh" and then close your mouth and
      say it again, and you're getting close.

      >5) I found it hard to understand your experience, could you explain it a little further.
      I don't know what else I can say except that this level of experiences began to occur
      after I lost a very beloved dog - actually I had to have him put to sleep because he had
      a vicious, biting habit that could not be controlled no matter what we tried - and we tried
      everything -- from Prozac, to behavioural therapy. But the vet said he must have had a
      brain lesion - and would suddenly attack with no advance warning.
      Anyway, I cried for two weeks. And I must confess that I have cried very rarely over a
      lifespan of sixty-plus years. I believe this crying was a final gift from my little guy,
      because I think I had been carrying a lot of emotional 'armoring' in my chest - lateral
      tensions that were blocking energy flows. Once I lost them, I was able to get ahead

      Therefore there are two possibilities with these nursing exercises: a) they won't work
      for someone who has a lot of lateral tension in their chests and bodies. or b) because
      of certain early childhood traumas I experienced (loss of mother at 2 years old, or
      perhaps having to give up nursing at 16 months because of the birth of my sister?)
      I have remained 'stuck' at this level of development. If so, then I think I'm very very
      grateful, because the more I do it the more easily I can achieve high bliss and low-
      thought states.

      I hope all this helps. And I hope to find a way to achieve some sort of feedback
      and measurement of the above-described exercises. I think I'm going to try
      alpha/theta brainwave neurofeedback soon.

      FINALLY, to anyone having trouble meditating, I would suggest chanting, especially
      on the word OM - or AUM. After chanting OM for a half-hour, I find myself
      evolving the sound to a snore on the inhale (don't laugh!), and allow the exhaled
      OM to vibrate my slightly parted lips. The OM is a very good method for
      dissolving those lateral chest tensions I mentioned above.

      And if you're STILL having problems, try what I call The Full-Circle OM -
      Find a pitch on which you can OM on the inhale also. Remember your
      'croaky' inhaled speaking voice as a kid? Once you've found that pitch, OM
      full-circle in and out. The inhaled OM resonates the chest much better than
      the exhaled -- sort of the same feeling is inhaling on a harmonica!

      I apologize for the length of this reply. But Tony asked me a bunch of questions,
      and I'm grateful for the chance to put the three level of the nursing exercise down
      in detail. Thank you, Tony! And please don't hestate, anyone, to ask further.

      From the ME in me that's the same as the ME in you and in all beings,
      Ramon

      Look forward to your reply.

      ...Tony