May I join the discussion for the disheartened?

  • lesley_j2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2002
      I am fairly new to regular meditation. I understand where you are.
      I was just there. At first, what I was doing felt very forced, as if I
      were trying to make my mind *do* something. Because this
      feeling didn't seem to be what I assumed meditiation was, I only
      meditated occasionally. However, one thing I did try to do
      consistently was what I've called heart opening. During the day,
      when I noticed that I was tense or stressed, I would stop right
      where I was and take very deep breaths and imagine that my
      heart was a flower opening. After a few minutes of this, I relaxed.

      After practicing heart opening for a few months, I noticed that I
      was dwelling on issues a little less. So, I found that I could stick
      with meditation long enough for the mind chatter to quiet some.
      However, it took me many, many weeks of just clearing the
      chatter.

      If you can stick through the period of *surface clearing* tosime
      mentioned earlier, you can look for that inner guide. I also agree
      with tosime about letting each meditation be an end to itself.
      Some sessions I feel compelled to pray, others I feel compelled
      to touch and love or heal parts of my body, others are beautiful
      visions or insights, then others there is just silence and peace.
      And, I do have days where it just doesn't seem to happen. It is
      worth the time to work through the initial *surface clearning.*

      The other suggestion I have is to drink lots of water. It really
      helps me. Days when I'm short on water (as on days with lots of
      errands in town) I have a much harder go at it.

      Lesley
    • tosime2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
        Lesley,

        Thanks for this excellent advice. I will try the heart opening
        exercise. It sounds beautiful.

        ...Tony
      • Lora_T
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2002
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tosime2001" <tosime@l...>
          wrote:
          > Lesley,
          >
          > Thanks for this excellent advice. I will try the heart opening
          > exercise. It sounds beautiful.
          >
          > ...Tony

          What does water have to do with all of this.. This is my first time
          to do with anything like meditation.
          Thank You for this message board.....

          I am a beginner at meditating.... How do I get started Please...
          Lora)T