dishearted - Barb

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2002
      Hello Barb,

      I am sorry this has to be a quick reply. It is 2 a.m. and I have to go to sleep soon.

      Have you tried approaching quieting the mind as fun? If I tried to approach quieting my mind seriously, my mind would do summersaults of joy - it would have a field day.

      For me it was (still is) a fun challenge. Since I am in the mood for analogies, permit me to use playing cards. I imagine quieting my mind to playing cards with myself when I and my mind are on opposite sides of a table. The funny thing is that we can both see each other's hand, but we can't let on that we can see or that will give the game away (And that is another story entirely).

      Here is the trick to it. You have to come out of your body so gently your mind does not see you doing this, and move to a neutral side of the table where you can watch everything that's going on. Your body is still there playing cards. However you are now the "watcher". You are observing the game. So long as you do all this gently (I like the word subtle) your mind will continue playing the game of cards with what it thinks is your body. You will then be free to walk away (gently) and explore. When you are ready, you come back to the table and re-enter your body. If your minds finds out you have left your body it will come after you and even start a fight.

      Cheers...Tony