New to meditation

  • tosime2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
      Hello supernik2001,

      I started meditation after I read in a book how good it was for your
      health. My initial attempts were very crude - I hardly remember what
      I did exactly. However the benefits were immediate and exciting. I
      think I went through a sort of beginner's exuberance. Each session
      opened floodgates of subconscious activity - I had access to a lot of
      feelings, insights all kinds of unusual stuff that was just below my
      conscious mind. It was quite a revelation that there was so much
      happening there and it was stored just 'inches' below my conscious
      mind. Funny things would happen - for instance, I would find myself
      listening in on a telephone conversation between two people and I
      would wonder why? Was it my imagination? Was it real? Was there a
      message? Then instantly I would be in a completely different
      situation. It was almost dream-like.

      After a few months, this 'surface stuff' dried up as I quickly
      drained it and I was not adding much to it during the day. I read
      different books, searched a lot on the web and experimented with my
      practice. I developed a way of allowing myself to be guided as to
      what I should do. Essentially I would keep an open mind with a subtle
      question of what should I do next? Eventually I would sense what I
      needed to do to refine my technique. I went through a phase of trying
      to perfect a meditation technique but quickly learnt that trying to
      force something was counter-productive - the key is to be guided by a
      deeper intelligence which knows just what you need to do and when. So
      my basic approach was to make lots of small changes to continually
      refine my technique.

      The benefits were in different areas. My blood pressure dropped. I
      felt more calm during the day. I needed less sleep. My intuition
      improved. My spiritual development accelerated. But most of all, it
      was fun. There was a lot of exploration and learning. The potential
      is vast.

      The key lessons I have learned are:
      1) Your conscious mind represents a tiny fraction of your whole mind
      2) Your mind is continually developing - meditation helps the process
      3) Don't force anything - it is often counter productive

      One thing to bear in mind is that the outside world is essentially a
      projection of our mind. We cannot be sure how much of the "world" is
      subjective and how much is objective. So things like insights or
      revelations should not be a surprise if we see everything as
      happening inside our minds rather than in some external, objective
      reality.

      I hope this helps...Tony

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2002
        Dear Tony,
        Your post today was great. You're very eloquent, and I'd like to share
        it with the 15,000+ readers and members who get our newsletter, The
        Inner Traveler. I don't know if you have checked it out yet, but it is
        worth the time to download (1.61MB). The issue that comes out this
        week has the Dalai Lama as one of the authors, and I think I might be
        able to squeeze your article into the next issue which will also have
        an article by His Holiness. I'm sure you'll agree that being
        published
        and in the same issue as him, as well as having him probably reading
        your insights would be "Way cool", as the kids say. The sample issue
        of The Inner Traveler can be downloaded at URL:
        http://www.meditationsociety.com/it66136/index.html

        Here is what I'd like to publish:
        Tony's intro to Med
        -
[...]

        After considering letting this article being published, you can
        contact me personally at medit8@... or post here.
        In any event, there is nothing better than sharing those things
        that help people evolve in consciousness, and this article will be
        encouraging to many who I'm sure will pursue their meditation with
        renewed enthusiasm after reading it. Your postings are very good and
        beneficial, and I hope you will continue sharing in the way you do.
        Please don't let it deter you if others don't use the journal format
        to share. I know they are out there enjoying and benefiting from
        yours. They just don't feel competent/comfortable with that format.
        In
        any event, thanks for your energy.