Journal Entry - tosime

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 99 , Jun 4, 2002
      Journal Entry - tosime
      Date: June 04
      Type: (1) Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
      Type: (2) Chi Kung
      Variation: Focus on heart beat and breath
      Time: 7:50 a.m.
      Duration: (1) 56 minutes (open)
      Duration: (2) 20 minutes (timed)
      Posture: (1) Seated on chair, eyes closed
      Posture: (2) Standing (Zhan Zhuang)
      Condition: (1) Dark room. Candles. Incense. Essential Oil - Bergamot (in burner). Bell.
      Condition: (2) Normal room.
      Experience: Major release of endorphins.

      Insights: (a) Inner sounds. Using earplugs opens a world of inner sounds. Internally there is a constant background sound reflecting inner body processes, the occasional real-life sound i.e. breaking glass and a simulated sound which gives the feeling without the sound i.e. a car horn. Externally, there is the sound of things happening around you i.e. someone hammering a nail and lower frequency sounds which are not normally heard without earplugs i.e. the vibration of a distant machine. Focusing on the most subtle background sound takes me deeper into the meditation. Practically every body function has an associated sound. Over time you can recognize each function by its related sound. Today I focused on the sound that goes with the endorphin release. I encouraged it by passively waiting in anticipation without attempting to force it (force is counter productive). Eventually it came and released an endorphin shot which was very pleasant - about a 6/10 on my personal scale. My concern is not to become addicted to this process.

      Insights: (b) Since the inner sounds are always with us, they represent a sort of portal for staying present in day to day situations. My goal will be to listen for my inner sounds at different times during the day (without earplugs) as a means of staying present. While it is easy when there is quiet, it is more of a challenge when there is noise - but those are the times when the skill will be developed most.

      Questions: If each body function has an associated inner sound, can we use this sound to control the body function? It could act as a kind of feedback device to let us know what is happening when we try to control the body function.

      PS - Could others please post their journal entries.

    • Swami-G
      Message 99 of 99 , Nov 29, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > Journal Entry - tosime
        > Date: November 29 2003
        > Type: Meditation on inner sounds (with earplugs)
        > Time: 07:55 a.m.
        > Duration: 38 minutes (open)
        > Posture: Seated on chair
        > Body: Eyes closed,
        > - Hands on knees
        > Room Condition: Darkened room
        > - One candle
        > - Incense
        > - Essential Oil - (Gardenia + water on burner)
        > Pre-session:
        > - Full body stretch (3 times).
        > - Struck the bell 3 times before starting
        > Mind Chatter: Low
        > Waves of bliss: None
        > Experience: Good Session. First session after about a year
        without
        > meditating
        >
        > Result: Recall Session - Getting used to the motions.
        >
        > Surprising easy to return to meditation. My body felt as if it were
        on
        > automatic pilot - simply did most of the usual things I did with
        very
        > little thinking on my part.
        >
        > Good physical relaxation. Moved quite quickly through deeper
        and deeper
        > states of physical relaxation.
        >
        > Had the insight that my day to day thinking was like watching a
        slide
        > show. Each slide would stop if I dwelt on it by thinking about it.
        If I
        > did not, the next slide would appear. Most of my problems
        come when I
        > dwell too much on each passing thought. The progression of
        thoughts is a
        > natural process that I interfere with when I dwell too long on
        any
        > particular thought. I should try relaxing more and allowing the
        thought
        > process to take its natural course.

        Sg: nice to see the site come back to its intention.....