Question From Email

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 3, 2002
      I was hoping that someone with direct experience would respond.

      Here is my 2 cents.

      It reads like an OBE (Out-of-body experience). Many people have this experience daily and post these experiences to various Yahoo groups. I suggest doing a search for OBE or Kundalini, joining the groups and asking questions. You should find a lot of material in the files section of the groups. After you read this material you should have a good idea of what is happening and what to expect. You should not have any surprises.

      There are a number of web sites on OBE. I would suggest one of Robert Bruce's sites. He wrote the book 'Astral Dynamics' which I assume is a standard text on the subject.

      I think your fear is natural. I suggest reading a little about Kundalini just in case you have an 'awakening' so you will know what to do. From what I have read, most OBE's are harmless. What most people regret is not being able to re-create the experience when they finally decide to explore this area. I have read posts from people who try for months to re-create what happened spontaneously.

      My personal view is that our inner intelligence is much greater than our conscious mind. It knows what is happening even if we don't. In a sense we need to trust the process. It helps to be well informed first!
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 18, 2002
        Question:
        I have a comfortable chair with a
        straight back that I like to use for
        meditation.My question is,is it OK to
        support my back with the back of the
        chair?The back of the chair is straight
        and I'm much more comfortable this way.
        Thanks.
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 18, 2002
          My suggestion is to simply sit in a comfortable position. Not so comfortable
          that you naturally fall asleep and not so uncomfortable that it distracts
          from your meditation. For some people that might mean supporting the back
          for others it might not. So if you are more comfortable with your back being
          supported, then that should be the position for you.

          Some additional points.
          Over time you may decide to change your position - your level of relaxation
          and the state of your back muscles may warrant a change.
          During meditation you may reach a stage where you no longer feel the chair,
          so initial position may not be that important.
          You can experiment to find the best position, rather than forcing yourself
          into what you think is the best position.

          ...Tony

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 26, 2002
            Here's a question we received yesterday, and obviously I'm not able
            to address this from first hand experience. I suggested Ms Anonymous
            let me post this here, and she has graciously given her permission.
            I'm sure we have many here who can share their experiences, and many
            who will benefit from their sharing.
            Hi. I hope you can help me out. I am nearly 50 years old. For the
            last few months, I have been stressed out and have been waking up in
            the middle of the night and cannot go back to sleep. I keep awake
            worrying about things etc. I am also going through menopause. Do
            you have any good meditation advice for me? Your help would be
            appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 12, 2002
              xxx wrote:
              I have a Christian background and always was told that meditation was
              a "New Age" thing and was of the devil. A new friend considers it the
              same as prayer, which of course is a holy thing. How do meditation
              and prayer differ?
            • Jeff Belyea
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 13, 2002
                >xxx wrote:
                >I have a Christian background and always was told that meditation was
                >a "New Age" thing and was of the devil. A new friend considers it the
                >same as prayer, which of course is a holy thing. How do meditation
                >and prayer differ?

                I like Mother Teresa's response to this question. She said, "Prayer is
                talking to God. Meditation is listening to God." I have a Christian background
                and was a preacher for 7 years in a church called, "Servants of The New
                Covenant". I taught meditation classes in this church. I am convinced
                that Jesus was a meditator, too. How about, "Be still and know that I am God."?

                Jeff
                --
                Jeff Belyea
                aka Jeffrey Noble,PhD

              • G
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 13, 2002
                  --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., Jeff Belyea <jeff@s...> wrote:
                  > >xxx wrote:
                  > >I have a Christian background and always was told that meditation
                  was
                  > >a "New Age" thing and was of the devil. A new friend considers it
                  the
                  > >same as prayer, which of course is a holy thing. How do meditation
                  > >and prayer differ?
                  > >

                  > I like Mother Teresa's response to this question. She said, "Prayer
                  is
                  > talking to God. Meditation is listening to God." I have a Christian
                  background
                  > and was a preacher for 7 years in a church called, "Servants of The
                  New
                  > Covenant". I taught meditation classes in this church. I am
                  convinced
                  > that Jesus was a meditator, too. How about, "Be still and know that
                  I am God."?

                  > Jeff

                  G: Jeff is so right as usual... Would have to say the the
                  Contemplatives are in the midst of prayer as Well as the listening or
                  waiting upon God... It is only within the stillness that the heart
                  speaks or the wisdom comes forth... Prayer is petitioning and
                  meditation is waiting for the answers...

                  i doub't that Christ or Abraham simply kept petitioning God
                  without sitting back and allowing God to send the Answers ... If
                  Moses wasn't willing to listen then how would the 10 commandments
                  have come? if Abraham didn't listen then how did he hear Gods word
                  to spare Issac... It is in the stillness that Gods voice may be
                  Known...

                  Love Shanti Om ...g... i was also within an esoteric christian
                  order and meditation was stressed as much as prayer...
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 8, 2003
                    To Whom It May Concern,
                    I am a 21 year old female in desperate need to find inner peace. I
                    lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly just under 2 years ago. I
                    thought that I was "ok" with myself but recently I found that I am
                    having anxiety attacks and am very angry most of the day. I wanted to
                    know if there was a way for meditation to help me overcome my problems
                    as well as a place to take lessons. I live in the Northeastern New
                    Jersey area and wanted to know if you had any recommendations to point
                    me in the right direction.
                    Thank you very much,
                  • jimmania
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 8, 2003
                      Dear L,

                      I lost my father too and experienced similar things to what you are going
                      through...recently I have become a student at the Integral Yoga Institute in
                      New York, and it has done wonders for me with both meditation and yoga. If
                      youy are able to get there they have terrific programs and they have helped
                      me find an inner peace that wasn't there before. In the meantime, be gentle
                      and patient with yourself and don't be afraid to seek help. I wish you all the
                      best.

                      ~jim c.

                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
                      no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > To Whom It May Concern,
                      > I am a 21 year old female in desperate need to find inner peace. I
                      > lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly just under 2 years ago. I
                      > thought that I was "ok" with myself but recently I found that I am
                      > having anxiety attacks and am very angry most of the day. I wanted to
                      > know if there was a way for meditation to help me overcome my problems
                      > as well as a place to take lessons. I live in the Northeastern New
                      > Jersey area and wanted to know if you had any recommendations to point
                      > me in the right direction.
                      > Thank you very much,
                    • Gene Poole
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 9, 2003
                        >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                        > To Whom It May Concern,
                        > I am a 21 year old female in desperate need to find inner peace. I
                        > lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly just under 2 years ago. I
                        > thought that I was "ok" with myself but recently I found that I am
                        > having anxiety attacks and am very angry most of the day. I wanted to
                        > know if there was a way for meditation to help me overcome my problems
                        > as well as a place to take lessons. I live in the Northeastern New
                        > Jersey area and wanted to know if you had any recommendations to point
                        > me in the right direction.
                        > Thank you very much,

                        Hello L...

                        My first step, based upon my own personal
                        experience, would be to enter psychotherapy
                        with a legitimate, degreed, licensed therapist.

                        Given the circumstances you present, I would
                        suggest a female therapist.

                        I would start out with 'cognitive therapy' first,
                        and then eventually graduate to 'transpersonal
                        therapy', in that order.

                        I suggest a schedule of at least once per week
                        for therapy.

                        It is better to approach your need immediately,
                        and to embrace therapy frankly; you have nothing
                        to lose by opening to the therapist.

                        Be sure to attend to any physical needs or illness
                        that may be troublesome or intruding into your
                        life. Unattended illness will always exacerbate
                        psychic distress.

                        If you are not doing so already, it is wise to begin
                        taking two 'B-100' natural B complex capsules
                        every morning with breakfast (you do eat breakfast,
                        yes?).

                        Of course... it is necessary to understand that any
                        choices you make, in any circumstances, are your
                        own. At all costs, avoid succumbing to the role of
                        victim.

                        Warm regards...

                        ==Gene Poole==
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
                          When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing or should
                          you do visulization? What is the difference?
                          L and J
                        • Jeff Belyea
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
                            Noticing the breath, focusing
                            our awareness on the gentle
                            and silent inhale and exhale,
                            is at the core of almost all
                            techniques or combination
                            of techniques taught as
                            "meditation".

                            As this relaxation technique
                            quiets the mind, we may
                            eventually come to an inner
                            silence, where even noticing
                            the breath fades away.

                            This inner silence is true
                            meditation, and over time
                            the meditator will come to
                            maintain this inner silence
                            as an undercurrent of life,
                            while being actively engaged
                            the daily activities.

                            At this point (and this ability
                            to be able to maintain the
                            inner silence while even
                            active can takes years for
                            some to achieve) meditation
                            becomes our natural state,
                            and with that comes a
                            peace of mind and freedom
                            from stress - or at least
                            an effective way to manage
                            stress –

                            and with it may come a
                            natural enlightenment, a
                            realization, an awakening,
                            an understanding, a sudden and
                            startling wisdom, a sense of
                            a "new" reality - that was there
                            all the time just waiting for us
                            to re-discover it and shake off
                            the learned way of thinking
                            that had us formerly identifying
                            ourselves with our thinking,
                            our senses, and our intellect.

                            Visualization is not meditation
                            in the classic sense, but is
                            a way to quiet negative self-talk
                            and may be a "cousin" to
                            meditation, but it is not
                            meditation.

                            Visualization is a wonderful
                            creative strategy for goal
                            achievement: imagining
                            that we are at an ideal weight,
                            motivating us toward success
                            in our careers, sports performance,
                            or breaking a habit like quitting
                            smoking...or jumping over
                            a big puddle.

                            Visualization is an active
                            use of our imagination and
                            while a positive and valuable
                            tools as mentioned above,
                            it engages the thinking process
                            and inner "noise", which is
                            not the same as the inner
                            silence that meditation
                            can bring us to experience -
                            and the mystical door that
                            it can open.

                            -- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
                            medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing
                            or should
                            > you do visulization? What is the difference?
                            > L and J
                          • roya kanani
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004

                              When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing or should
                              you do visulization?  What is the difference?
                              L and J

                              I think when we concentrate in breathing, after short time appeared some image in our mind.

                              Do you Yahoo!?
                            • ganeshbabu vempati