Journal Entry

    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2002
      Time: all the time
      Insight: There is no "time". There is only now. It is our mind that
      invents the illusion that things happen in sequence. This also leads
      to the delusion that we can somehow deduce that because "this"
      happened at one point of time, "that" will happen at another. And so,
      we erronously think that we "can do", when the reality is "Thy will
      be done". If we go to the movies, it seems that things just flow, but
      in reality, what we are watching is one frame, then another,and
      another, and so on. That's what life is really like. From another
      perspective, we are only seeing one small part of what's happening at
      a time. It is well illustrated in the old story about the 3 blind men
      who come upon an elephant. One grabs the ear and says "This thing is
      like a giant leaf". Another touches a leg and says "No, it is like a
      tree". The next holds the tail and says "You are both wrong. It is a
      snake" Only a man who has sight and can see the whole elephant knows
      the truth.
      Question: "Who" sees?
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 9, 2002
        date:June 8
        time:8:00am
        duration: 40 minutes
        technique: focus on breath and body awareness

        Focused on the feeling of my body and watched my breath. Aware of
        mind chatter. Tried to separate from it. Used the mantra "detach" a
        few times. At this point I am still trying to build my concentration
        so I can hold meditative state for more than a few minutes at a time.
        Time passed quickly. Was interrupted once, but went right back into
        meditating. My cats came and sat with me.

        Later this day I meditated for a few moments outside in the hammock.
        Listened to sounds of nature in the yard. My body tried to distract
        me by presenting me with pain in my jaw.
      • eveneon
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 9, 2002
          Date: June 9, 2002
          Time: 7:30 am
          Duration: 50 minutes
          Technique: Breath and body awareness

          Moderate amount of chatter today. Noted wandering", "thinking",
          or "remembering". Tried to keep breath awareness in the foreground
          and chatter in the background. Tried to "detach" from my thoughts,
          rather than be them. Changed position once. No body pain today.
          Although I felt I only been sitting for about 30 minutes, 50 minutes
          had passed.
        • eveneon
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 9, 2002
            This isn't exactly an entry but I haven't included this part of my
            meditation in any of my postings yet, and thought this info. may be
            relevant.

            I don't do anything special to set up for meditation. I sit in my
            living room, on my couch, in silence with my eyes closed. I don't
            time my meditations. I let myself stop when I feel ready. I try and
            stay in that meditative feeling for a few moments after I end my
            session.

            Yesterday I noticed that throughout the day, my attention was
            spontaniously brought back to my breath and body. No doubt the
            effects of my morning meditaion session.

            Eve
          • eveneon
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 10, 2002
              Date: June 10
              Time: 9:20am
              Duration: 30 minutes
              Technique: Body and breath awareness

              Very hard to concentrate today. More chatter than meditating. Body
              was aching. Perhaps I should have stretched before I started. I am
              going to try and keep aware of body and breath throughout the day
              today.
            • eveneon
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 21, 2002
                Date: June 21
                Time: 8:20 am
                Duration: 40 minutes
                Technique: Body and breath awareness

                Today was the first time I have sat down in meditaion in about a week
                and half. I almost didn't. I was making excuses not to (no time
                today, too tired to concentrate). I'm glad I resisted the urge to
                blow it off. It's amazing what motivation will do. I started
                meditating again a few weeks ago because I was afraid to fly. Now
                that my trip is over, it's very hard to find a "reason" to meditate.
                I want to continue to meditate to gain a deeper awareness throughout
                my day and a general sense of calm. Wanting to meditate and doing it
                are two different things. I hope I will continue to do it.
                It was an ok session, nothing special happened. I decided to meditate
                in a different spot today, sitting in a chair in front of a window. I
                liked the sunlight coming in. I just watched my thoughts, breathed,
                and paid attention to my body. It seemed the "deeper" I went, the
                more my body would ache. Same places as usual; back, shoulders, jaw.
                It wasn't a distraction though.
              • eveneon
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 24, 2002
                  Date: June 22
                  Time: about 7:45
                  Duration: I forgot to look at the clock but I think it was about 35
                  minutes
                  Technique: Breath and body awareness
                  Position: Sitting in chair with feet on the floor, eyes closed

                  Moderate amount of chatter today. Started chanting OM silently
                  halfway through session and found this helps greatly in improving my
                  concentration. Not sure if this is because of the power of OM itself
                  or because it is just another thing for my mind to do, which takes
                  away from the chatter. Had back pain today but it wasn't constant. It
                  definitely comes and goes, which I find interesting. I think part of
                  it has to do with my posture (not meditating posture but my regular
                  walking and standing posture.) But I also think that it is my body
                  attempting to distract me from meditating. It usually does not
                  distract me enough to make me stop. When I concentrate on the pain,
                  sometimes it subsides and sometimes it gets worse. I am going to
                  continue to look at this back pain thing.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 24, 2002
                    eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    Had back pain today...I also think that it is my body attempting to
                    distract me from meditating... I am going to continue to look at this
                    back pain thing.
                    Dear Eve, I know you know this, but I want to share it out loud, so
                    speak. You can simply Witness this, or you can do healing techniques,
                    or you can ask God to help (but with the acknowledgement that "Thy
                    will be done"), but in any event, these type distractive things often
                    are the best ways to learn and can have a greater long term benefit
                    than mystic visions, bliss, and so on. So, I'd say that you had a
                    great meditation! Thanks for sharing.
                  • eveneon
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 25, 2002
                      Date: June 25, 2002
                      Time: 8:35am
                      Duration: 40 minutes
                      Technique: Body and breath awareness and chanted OM silently
                      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed

                      Began session by chanting OM aloud three times, then continuing
                      through rest of session chanting silently. I find this very helpful
                      in keeping me focused. Noticed discomfort in my back almost
                      immediately, however when I was ending my session the pain was hardly
                      noticeable. It went from being almost unbearable at times to non-
                      existent at other times. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes
                      the pain come and go, but I feel I have some influence or control
                      over it. Mind chatter was pretty quiet today. I think my
                      concentration is improving. It was an enjoyable session. I was a
                      little cranky before I meditated but now I feel pretty good.
                    • eveneon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 25, 2002
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > will be done"), but in any event, these type distractive things
                        often
                        > are the best ways to learn and can have a greater long term benefit
                        > than mystic visions, bliss, and so on. So, I'd say that you had a
                        > great meditation! Thanks for sharing.

                        Yes, reguarding mystic visions and bliss, I am finding my meditation
                        much more effective and enjoyable when I don't expect these things.
                        In the past, I have gone into meditaion wanting to experience these
                        things. I was always dissapointed becasue they never happened. Well,
                        I wouldn't say I was never blissful, but it was nothing out of the
                        ordinary. Now I am just trying to improve concentration so I can
                        meditate more easily. By focusing on my body and breath and expecting
                        nothing, I think my concentration is improving. And actually, knowing
                        my personality, beautiful visions and feelings of intense bliss would
                        be a major distraction for me.
                        I have already noticed a greater calm and clarity in my everyday
                        living since I started meditating again.
                      • eveneon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 27, 2002
                          Date: June 27, 2002
                          Time: 3:00pm
                          Duration: 25 minutes
                          Technique: Breath and body awareness
                          Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed

                          Chanted Om silently for most of the session. Mind chatter was medium.
                          Back pain was pretty uncomfortable today. Started to feel sleepy so I
                          ended my session early.
                        • eveneon
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 28, 2002
                            June:28
                            Time: 7:00am
                            Duration: 30 minutes
                            Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed
                            Technique: Body and breath awareness, chanted Om silently

                            Interesting session today. Mind chatter was minimal and my
                            concentration very good. About halfway through my session I was
                            interrupted for a few minutes. When I tried to get back into
                            meditating I witnessed myself feeling aggravated that I had been
                            interrupted while I was having such a "good" session. I was able to
                            detach from this and realize that these frustrated feelings were not
                            solid. That they just pass by like my thoughts. Although I've heard
                            this concept many times, this was the first time that I actually
                            witnessed it while it was happening. I was able to gain some
                            concentration again but not as strong as before. Would have liked to
                            continue but ended my session in anticipation of my husband coming
                            downstairs to go to work. Interestingly, I had almost no back pain
                            today. Just the slightest amount of an uncomfortable feeling.
                          • eveneon
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 1 11:22 AM
                              Date:July 1
                              Time:6:00am
                              Duration:45minutes
                              Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed
                              Technique:Body and breath awareness

                              Had a hard time getting started today, but towards the middle of my
                              session my concentration improved. Minimal back pain today. Usually
                              chanting OM is helpful in keeping my concentration but today it was
                              more of a hindrance. I was concentrating on too many things at one
                              time, so I decided to just focus on my breath and really pay
                              attention to body awareness. Today session was longer than usual.
                            • eveneon
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 2 4:28 AM
                                Date: July 2, 2002
                                Time: 6:30am
                                Duration 40 minutes
                                Position: Eyes closed, sitting in chair, palms facing up, index
                                finger touching thumb
                                Technique: Body and breath awareness.

                                "Good" session today. Concentration was strong and mind chatter
                                minimal. Back pain practically non-existent. Something different
                                occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I just see blackness.
                                But about 15 minutes into my session I started to see little light
                                pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise, similar to what I
                                see when I first come out of meditation. This became my anchor or
                                focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but I just never noticed
                                it before. I was enjoying my meditation very much and did not want to
                                end my session, but did so because I heard my husband wake up, which
                                reminded me that I had to take care of some things before he left for
                                work. I'm definitely noticing improved concentration the more I
                                meditate.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 2 9:10 AM
                                  eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                  Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes closed, I
                                  just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I started to
                                  see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
                                  similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
                                  became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been there but
                                  I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
                                  much...

                                  Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
                                • eveneon
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 3 4:06 AM
                                    Date :July3
                                    Time: 6:30am
                                    Duration: 30 minutes
                                    Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up
                                    Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                    Hard to concentrate today. A lot of mind chatter. I didn't sleep well
                                    last night and I think this has something to do with it. It is also
                                    very hot and humid in my house making it extremely uncomfortable.
                                    Mild back pain.
                                  • gangak000
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 3 7:41 AM
                                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                      > eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                      > Something different occurred today. Usually, with my eyes
                                      closed, I
                                      > just see blackness. But about 15 minutes into my session I
                                      started to
                                      > see little light pixels mixed in with the black. Like white noise,
                                      > similar to what I see when I first come out of meditation. This
                                      > became my anchor or focus. I'm thinking it has always been
                                      there but
                                      > I just never noticed it before. I was enjoying my meditation very
                                      > much...
                                      >
                                      > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!

                                      G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......

                                      word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
                                      along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until you reach
                                      the Source from which all proceeds from.....

                                      shanti om ...g...
                                    • eveneon
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 4 7:19 PM
                                        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "gangak000"
                                        <crystalkundalini@h...> wrote:
                                        > > Comment: Warning! Warning! 3rd Eye opening! Maya beware!!!
                                        >
                                        > G: hahahhahaha nope warning warning maya extended......
                                        >
                                        > word to the wise do not chase after the rising phenomena
                                        > along the way..... that is not It.... continue on..... until
                                        you reach
                                        > the Source from which all proceeds from.....
                                        >
                                        > shanti om ...g...

                                        No chasing here. Just observing.

                                        Eve
                                      • eveneon
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 6 6:10 AM
                                          Date: July 6, 2002
                                          Time: 8:00am
                                          Duration: 35 minutes open
                                          Technique: Body and breath awareness
                                          Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, index finger touching thumb,
                                          palms up

                                          Today my concentration seemed to be stronger at the beginning of my
                                          session rather than the end. Mind chatter was moderate. I had a few
                                          ideas come to me for projects I have been working on. I was able to
                                          let them go and trust that I would remember them after my meditation
                                          (which I did). Although I wasn't thinking about these ideas that had
                                          come to me, I guess the excitement of this kicked up the mind
                                          chatter. It was a little harder to concentrate after this happened. I
                                          felt relaxed and calm at the end of my session. Only noticed mild
                                          back pain a couple times.
                                        • eveneon
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 8 8:35 AM
                                            Date: July 8, 2002
                                            Time: 8:30am
                                            Duration: 15 minutes
                                            Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms up, index finger
                                            touching thumb
                                            Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                            Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not sure
                                            why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like my
                                            lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open my
                                            mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy nose
                                            so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                                            session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                                            unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                                            not to try and continue.
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 8 8:59 AM
                                              eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                              > Very hard to concentrate today. Could not stay focused. I'm not
                                              sure why, but I was finding it difficult to breathe today. It was like
                                              my lungs were never quite full of air, and a few times I had to open
                                              my mouth to draw in as much air as I could. I don't have a stuffy
                                              nose so I'm not sure what that is all about. About 10 minutes into my
                                              session I noticed my back pain, which gradually grew worse. I
                                              unconsciously came out of my session after fifteen minutes. Decided
                                              not to try and continue.
                                              Comment: Dear Eve, Have you heard that we are experiencing an air
                                              quality problem in our area (N.E. America)? This is caused by what
                                              must be an enormous fire in Ontario, Canada. Bette, who has asthma,
                                              had trouble this morning just walking the 30 or so feet to her car.
                                              As you know, I usually feel that "failed" meditation sessions have
                                              the best potential to learn from, but in this case, I can't even
                                              recommend taking a deep breath and calming down. You'd probably pass
                                              out. BTW, have you tried any healing techniques for your back
                                              problems?
                                            • eveneon
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 8 11:47 AM
                                                Hi Bob. I did hear about the fires but didn't think that it could
                                                effect me. However, after watching the news this morning I realised
                                                that it could be a problem when they said that there was a smoke
                                                advisory today. It's pretty wild that a fire so far away could effect
                                                us down here.
                                                I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I figured
                                                that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have it, that
                                                it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to trying
                                                something though. I might be nice to have something to shift my
                                                meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend something
                                                to try?
                                                Thanks,
                                                Eve

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 8 12:32 PM
                                                  Eve wrote:
                                                  > I have not done any healing techniques for my back. I guess I
                                                  figured that since the pain comes and goes and I don't always have
                                                  it, that it would just eventually stop on it's own. I am open to
                                                  trying something though. It might be nice to have something to shift
                                                  my meditation to when my back pain kicks in. Can you recommend
                                                  something to try?
                                                  Thanks, Eve
                                                  Dear Eve,
                                                  At one time, my first impulse would have been to say "Baily's Irish
                                                  Cream", but that's just the eternal teen-ager in me looking for
                                                  acceptance through being funny. Now, all grown up (or down, depending
                                                  on your viewpoint), I'm going to suggest checking out the healing
                                                  techniques on our site http://www.meditationsociety.com/week29.html
                                                  BTW, this is the 2nd time in 24 hours I've suggested this, so I
                                                  expect doing it again very soon - or is this just an example of
                                                  holding on to folk lore and treating it as truth. Nah, not in this
                                                  case. Everybody knows that it's scientific fact that things happen in
                                                  3's. Oops - there goes that teenager again. Seriously, I hope that
                                                  you have learned all you need to from the back pain, and that one of
                                                  the methods discussed on the site, or something else, helps effect a
                                                  complete relief of your discomfort. After all, the Eagles training
                                                  camp opens in 18 days, and we all need to give football our complete
                                                  attention thereafter. Hey - how about that. The teenager came out 3
                                                  times. Yep - scientific proof if I ever saw it!
                                                • eveneon
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 9 11:27 AM
                                                    Thanks Bob. I checked out the healing meditaions and will try them
                                                    next time my back pain kicks in. Interestly, I had no back pain today.
                                                    Eve

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 9 11:29 AM
                                                      Date: July 9, 2002
                                                      Time: 8:20am
                                                      Duration: 45minutes (open)
                                                      Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms facing up resting on
                                                      knees
                                                      Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                                      Very good concentration today. I was able to stay focused almost
                                                      continuously. I really had no back pain today except for a moment or
                                                      two of noticing a mild discomfort, which quickly passed. But I did
                                                      however also notice some mild discomfort in my jaw. Not enough to
                                                      distract me. Today's session seemed to have a different quality to
                                                      it, but I don't think I can describe it. I can only say it seemed to
                                                      be more of a watching or "witnessing" of my thoughts. I meditated in
                                                      a different room and facing a different direction. I don't know if
                                                      this had an influence or not. Possible I suppose. Longer than normal
                                                      session today. Very calm and relaxed afterward.
                                                    • eveneon
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 10 6:47 AM
                                                        Date: July 10, 2002
                                                        Time: 8:20am
                                                        Duration: 40 minutes (open)
                                                        Position: Sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms on knees facing up
                                                        Technique: Body and breath awareness

                                                        Not much to say about today's session other than it was similar to
                                                        yesterdays. My concentration was not quite as strong, but still good.
                                                        Seemed to be weaker towards the end. No back or body pain of any kind
                                                        today.

                                                        Insights: Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                                        physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                                        In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                                        much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all temporary.
                                                        Just witness.
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 10 9:47 AM
                                                          Eve wrote:
                                                          Meditation is much like everyday life. Thoughts, feelings,
                                                          physical sensations are all fluid in meditation. They just float by.
                                                          In life, situations, relationships, and experience all float by in
                                                          much the same the way. You can hold onto nothing. It's all
                                                          temporary.
                                                          Just witness.
                                                          Comment: Sometimes wisdom floats by. This is a great example. Thanks!
                                                        • eveneon
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 11 6:02 AM
                                                            Date: July 11, 2002
                                                            Time: 8:40
                                                            Duration: 40 minutes
                                                            Position: sitting in chair, eyes closed, palms resting on knees
                                                            facing up
                                                            Technique: Breath and body awareness

                                                            Today was all about body awareness. I started my session the same way
                                                            I usually do, scanning my body for tension then focusing on the sound
                                                            and feeling of my breath. I was finding it difficult to concentrate
                                                            and noticed some back pain starting to build so I decided to try some
                                                            healing visualization techniques. I focused on drawing healing energy
                                                            (represented by an iridescent purple/pink/bluish color). I imagined
                                                            bringing this in through my breath and my arms, legs, and head. I
                                                            would hold this energy in my body and see it moving around, and then
                                                            I would exhale the painful energy (represented by the color red) I
                                                            did this for a while I noticed where tension was coming up in my
                                                            body. My back pain never left completely, but it changed intensity
                                                            and certain times. I was feeling the need to stretch and was starting
                                                            to feel a little warm. I just sat with this until I felt it was time
                                                            to stop. My concentration seemed to get stronger as my session
                                                            progressed. I felt a little achy when I woke up this morning and I
                                                            still feel a little achy after meditating. I don't know if this
                                                            visualization helped my pain or not, but it gave me something to
                                                            focus on, helping me to concentrate a little more.