Daily Journal

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2002
      I have a suggestion I would like to present to our group. Please let me know
      what you think.

      Many of us meditate daily. My sense is that most of us have new insights
      practically every meditation session. If we developed a simple format for
      posting our daily meditation sessions to this site we can share our daily
      insights as if we were writing a mediation journal. In this way we share
      insights without waiting for questions to prompt them. Our sharing will
      include our meditation techniques, and importantly the small variations we
      explore practically every session. Obviously we can exclude personal details
      not relevant to the group.

      We do not necessarily have to state our names - a pen name will do for
      reference. A uniform format helps to ensure we include only the details that
      we wish to share. We can refine the process as we go along.

      If we set up a good process I believe that in a year we can review thousands
      of insights - the potential is tremendous.

      A sample format: Hypothetical

      Journal Entry
      Name: xman (some pen name)
      Type: Focus on breath (the type of meditation you performed)
      Variation: 4 second pause on out breath (the variation of the primary
      meditation)
      Time: 6:30 a.m. (the time you meditated)
      Duration: 20 minutes (the duration of your meditation)
      Posture: Sitting on a chair (your meditation position)
      Condition: Dark room. Candles. Incense. Bell. (the accoutrements)
      Experience: Good session. Gentle rocking to heart beat. Distracting thoughts
      brought session to an end. (any new or unique experiences)
      Insights: Out breath discharged distracting thoughts. Switching focus from
      heart beat to breath allowed deeper meditation. (this would be the key
      entry - what insights can you share with the group)
      Questions: How can I improve the technique of discharging distracting
      thoughts with the out breath? (I would encourage at least one question not
      just for the responses but also for the effect of asking questions on the
      questioner - it develops curiosity and the potential for insights)

      Please let me have you thoughts on this suggestion. If we currently keep
      meditation journals we can use the entry as a source for our post.
      Alternatively we could substitute our journal with post.

      ...Tony
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2002
        Dear Tony,
        This is a fantastic idea! I know that there are people here who keep
        journals, and I hope they will share them. I also know that for some,
        it will be easier to just write in an unstructed way, and let their
        communication flow as it comes. I also know that there are some here
        who meditate 24x7, and I hope they too will journal and post. I'm
        very pleased that you have run this flag up the pole, or whatever the
        appropriate cliche is, and look forward to seeing who salutes. It's a
        brilliant concept and has the potential to be a tremendous resource.
        Thanks!