Endorphin release

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2002
      Thank you for the informative post.

      Could you go further on the endorphin release. I have experienced very
      pleasant feelings during meditation, often about 10 - 15 minutes after I
      start. I have been curious as to why I sometimes have them while at other
      times I do not. Does anyone know why our bodies release endorphins during
      meditation? Are there levels or stages of release? Can we influence the
      level and duration of release? What are the health implications? Could
      endorphins prove to be a distraction from going deeper into meditation? Will
      one get used to the release such that it will no longer have the same
      impact?

      Could you point me to studies on the internet that review endorphin release.

      Thanks...Tony

      Snip...
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2002
        Dear Tony,
        Our bodies are chemical maunfacturing factories. One of the most
        benefical products we make are endorphines. They reverse the harmful
        results of stress. Some of tremendously damaging things that stress
        causes are: an increase in blood presure and heart rate, increased
        respiratory effort, decreased blood flow to the brain, shutting down
        of the digestive and immune systems, and feelings of anxiety, fear,
        and helplessness. If we drink alcohol, or smoke a joint, or snort
        cocaine, they don't get us "high". The endorphins they release do.
        Unlike these things, which have tremendously negative side effects,
        meditation prompted release of endorphins have no negative side
        effects. You don't find meditators driving dangerously, or getting
        the
        munchies, or stealing Grandma's television to sell just to get
        another
        thrill. There are many research studies that point to meditation as
        being a great releaser of endorphines. Here's a link to one, and part
        of what's there, that says a bunch of stuff that translates into
        understandable english as "meditation = endorphin release".

        http://www.alternativemedicinedebates.com/article1037.html
        "Functional Brain Mapping of the Relaxation Response and Meditation"
        Lazar S., Bush G., Gollub R.,Fricchione G., Khalsa G., Benson H.,
        Neuroreport,Vol. 11:1581-1585, May 15, 2000.

        "Meditation is a conscious mental process that induces a set of
        integrated physiologic changes termed the relaxation response.
        Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)was used to identify and
        characterize the brain regions that are active during a simple form
        of meditation. Significant(p<10 -7) signal increases were observed in
        the group-averaged data in the dorsolateral prefrontal and parietal
        cortices, hippocampus/parahippocampus, temporal lobe, pregenual
        anterior cingulate cortex, striatum, and pre- and post-central gyri
        during meditation. Global fMRI signal decreases were also noted,
        although these were probably secondary to cardiorespiratory changes
        that often accompany meditation. The results indicate that the
        practice of meditation activates neural structures involved in
        attention and control of the autonomic nervous system."

        The "relaxation response" that is referred to is an endorphine
        release. It is the antidote to the adrenaline release found in "fight
        or flight". The Relaxation response has been popularized by Dr.
        Herbert Benson MD. Harvard School of Medicine. His site
        http://www.mbmi.org/default.asp
        is basically built around it, and is about the proven scientific
        finding that endorphins are released 100% of the time by 100% of
        those
        who meditate following a few common techniques. There are lots of
        ways
        to release endorphines, but meditation is the best, and as i said
        before....no munchies!