Re: [Meditation Society of America] hi

  • thenakedswimmer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2002
      One thing you might try is doing a candle focus. To do this is sit at a table or desk with a candle lit. Keep a piece of paper and a pen in your hand. Then focus your thoughts on the flame. Each time you note your mind has wandered make little tick mark on the paper but still keep your eyes on the candle. Try this for ten minutes each day and note your tick marks. In time it gets better as you gain skill in focusing on the point of the flame. Actually it doesn't have to be a candle but this works well at increasing ability to focus. If I may I would also say to you, be kind to yourself.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
        Hi,

        From my brief experience with meditation, I sense that there is a subconscious development that takes place during meditation that is not apparent to our conscious minds. We only experience some of the physical benefits such as reduced stress. At unspecified times our subconscious development becomes conscious and our whole attitude to life changes.

        I stopped meditation for about 6 months because I felt my expectations were driving my meditation direction. Since re-starting I now appreciate that my inner guidance is much more 'intelligent' than I realized and it would have brought about whatever adjustments I needed. All I needed to do was trust the process.