Re: [Meditation Society of America] hi

  • Tony Perez
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2002
      Keep trying! It took me some time to get the hang of it. Also, it really helps to be surrounded by an inspiring atmosphere; open a windows to let in fresh air. Read or listen to music beforehand that really puts you in a pleasant mood. Start with mantras (a phrase that you keep saying to yourself over and over), and/or focus on a slow moving object (a lava lamp works good). The main thing is, don't worry about trying to meditate, just keep doing these suggestions and let your mind do its thing.

      Hope this helps!
      Achhaa,

      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2002
        One thing you might try is doing a candle focus. To do this is sit at a table or desk with a candle lit. Keep a piece of paper and a pen in your hand. Then focus your thoughts on the flame. Each time you note your mind has wandered make little tick mark on the paper but still keep your eyes on the candle. Try this for ten minutes each day and note your tick marks. In time it gets better as you gain skill in focusing on the point of the flame. Actually it doesn't have to be a candle but this works well at increasing ability to focus. If I may I would also say to you, be kind to yourself.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2002
          Hi,

          From my brief experience with meditation, I sense that there is a subconscious development that takes place during meditation that is not apparent to our conscious minds. We only experience some of the physical benefits such as reduced stress. At unspecified times our subconscious development becomes conscious and our whole attitude to life changes.

          I stopped meditation for about 6 months because I felt my expectations were driving my meditation direction. Since re-starting I now appreciate that my inner guidance is much more 'intelligent' than I realized and it would have brought about whatever adjustments I needed. All I needed to do was trust the process.