Falling asleep

  • kmckenzie92765
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2002
      Monday I spent an unprecedented 30
      minutes in meditation and it didn't feel
      all that strained. How do I know I didn't
      fall asleep?
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28, 2002
        Sleep is an unconscious state. Meditation is a conscious experience.
        When we concentrate and achieve a meditative state, an EEG would show
        brain waves between 8 and 13 MHz (Alpha). When we are in a deep
        sleep,
        we are at 1 to 4 MHz (Delta). The "zone" between, 4-8 MHz (Theta) is
        a very creative, intuitive time that we reach every time we are just
        waking up or falling asleep. When we go deeply into a meditative
        state, we can quickly go right past it and go directly to deep sleep.
        With practice, it becomes easier to maintain conscious connection
        with your inner Witness, and just watch your meditation flow by. It is
        said that when we are in deep sleep, our Witness rejoins the
        infinite,
        eternal Divine Consciousness, and when we wake up, we go back through
        the various levels and return to our usual state that registers
        between 14 and 25 MHz (Beta). Another factor that comes into play is
        that there is a tremendous endorphin release when we meditate, and
        that can be so relaxing that it is easy to feel so comfortable we
        doze off. This too will become easier to deal with as you continue
        your practice. I think it's great that you were able to stay focused
        for 30 minutes. As was said in My Fair Lady, "I think she's got it!"