Question and answer about Mantras

    Message 1 of 197 , Oct 17, 2001
      Question: What are some words used for Mantra
      meditation?<br>Answer: The Mantra we have posted on Meditation Station
      (technique #44). We also suggest that the mantra you use is
      a word or phrase that has real meaning to you. Any
      sound will work somewhat well, but studies by the
      Harvard Medical School have indicated that if the
      word/phrase means something to you, it will bring about a
      deeper meditative state quicker and with longer lasting
      effect. So, if you are looking for peace, for instance,
      let Peace be your mantra. Classically, some of the
      other Sanskrit words commonly used as mantra
      are:<br>Lam...this is for "earthy" people<br>Vam... this is for
      water (emotional types)<br>Ram...this is for fire
      (strong willed people)<br>Yam...air
      (thinkers)<br>Ham...ether (for metaphysical types)<br>But as I mentioned,
      something that you care about will let you meditate with
      greater benefit than some sounds that have no
      significance to you. There are organizations that "sell" words
      to use that they say have no meaning (but often are
      actually the names of Hindu divinities), and they claim
      that thinking about the meaning holds you back. But I
      suggest that you consider saving yourself $1000, and make
      up your own word without meaning, if that approach
      appeals to you.
    • eveneon
      Message 197 of 197 , Jun 9, 2002
        wrote: