Re: Binaural Beat Technology for Altered States and Meditation ??

    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2002
      Hi - I found this on the site whose URL you posted:
      "Passively listening to binaural beats may not spontaneously propel
      you into an altered state of consciousness. One's subjective
      experience in response to binaural-beat stimulation may also be
      influenced by a number of mediating factors. For example, the
      willingness and ability of the listener to relax and focus attention
      may contribute to binaural-beat effectiveness in inducing state
      changes."
      So, I think this answers your "Does it work?" question. I don't know
      if it is safe, but I have tried something akin to this and survived.
      Ray Rose (no relation) has a great CD that produced a meditative
      state when I listened to it. His Email address is vibehealer@...
      I'm pretty sure that it does use this technology. Now to get to the
      heart of the matter. I don't believe that there are any shortcuts to
      spiritual evolution. A 15 year old kid can buy a hit of acid or
      ecstacy and experience something very exotic and exciting, but the
      next day if he gets acne, he will be very upset. "Highs" are not
      necessarily good, even if they mimic deep states of meditation. Their
      results are temporary. "Deep meditative states" that bring real
      change are the treasure you seek, and that is best attained by
      meditation.
      If you do pursue this methodology, please post something about what
      you have experienced. I'm sure it will be very interesting.
      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose
      <onewizardway@y...> wrote:
      > Astronauts are using a binaural beat something technology to reduce
      > their need for sleep. I did a search and found this
      > http://www.brain.web-us.com/thescience.htm . It appears that it
      > creates altered states and allows someone to achieve deep states of
      > meditation in about 5 minutes that normally take master years. Has
      > any one tried this technology? Does it work? Is it safe? Is there a
      > disadvantage to taking a short cut to reach these levels?
      > Thanks.
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
        Dear Wizard:

        I bought a brainwave entrainment device a few years ago and it worked
        very well. It seems that the key to using the device for meditation
        is to induce the alpha waves. This can be done in either hemisphere
        of the brain or both. The Alpha waves are the bridge between the
        beta and theta.
        It was interesting to experiment with the machine called the David
        Paradise (not recommended for epilectics). It cost about $500.

        An interesting book on brainwaves is "The High Performance Mind" by
        Anna Wise. She helped develop a machine that draws a picture of the
        relative srengths of delta, theta, alpha, and beta of people in
        various activities including the highest meditative states. The
        diagram for the highest state is very interesting.

        The paradise machine I mentioned above worked very well for me until
        I started meditating on the I Am. Then it had no effect after that,
        which I thought was interesting too.

        For info on the machine the company where I got mine is Comptronics
        Devices Limited and they have a good website.

        I hope this helps

        Love
        Bobby G.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "onewizardway"
        <onewizardway@y...> wrote:
        > Astronauts are using a binaural beat something technology to reduce
        > their need for sleep. I did a search and found this
        > http://www.brain.web-us.com/thescience.htm . It appears that it
        > creates altered states and allows someone to achieve deep states of
        > meditation in about 5 minutes that normally take master years. Has
        > any one tried this technology? Does it work? Is it safe? Is there a
        > disadvantage to taking a short cut to reach these levels?
        > Thanks.
      • tosime2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
          Hi Bobby G,

          Could you describe how your sessions on the David Paradise machine
          went?

          Also, what happened when you started meditating on the "I Am"? What
          is your explanation for why the machine had no effect?

          Thanks...Tony

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tosime2001" <tosime@l...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Bobby G,

            Hi Tony:

            > Could you describe how your sessions on the David Paradise machine
            > went?

            Yes, the machine comes with preset programs that you key in on the
            pad. A booklet describes what brainwave frequency and what brain
            hemisphere will be progammed and the effects. Don the eyepieces and
            earphones and begin the session. Light and sound pulses induce the
            brainwaves.
            I found it very effective.

            > Also, what happened when you started meditating on the "I Am"? What
            > is your explanation for why the machine had no effect?

            I believe the I Am meditation is a balanced mix of brainwaves that is
            stable. It is an effortless meditation.
            Constraint of the fluctuations (vrittis) of Consciousness is the goal
            IMO of all spiritual programs. The I Am is the Aham vritti or first
            fluctuation. If it is held stable in the mind, then all others are
            also.
            Impressions even those from a machine plugged into the senses
            metaphorically bounce off it.
            At any rate as long as I meditated on the I Am the machine would not
            change my brainwaves. The machine was a good reminder though as it
            was a single distraction instead of the infinite number of
            distractions I am usually susceptable to. White noise can also be
            programmed in to keep out annoying sounds and visuals.

            > Thanks...Tony

            My pleasure
            Love,
            Bobby G.