Binaural Beat Technology for Altered States and Meditation ??

  • onewizardway
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2002
      Astronauts are using a binaural beat something technology to reduce
      their need for sleep. I did a search and found this
      http://www.brain.web-us.com/thescience.htm . It appears that it
      creates altered states and allows someone to achieve deep states of
      meditation in about 5 minutes that normally take master years. Has
      any one tried this technology? Does it work? Is it safe? Is there a
      disadvantage to taking a short cut to reach these levels?
      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2002
        Hi - I found this on the site whose URL you posted:
        "Passively listening to binaural beats may not spontaneously propel
        you into an altered state of consciousness. One's subjective
        experience in response to binaural-beat stimulation may also be
        influenced by a number of mediating factors. For example, the
        willingness and ability of the listener to relax and focus attention
        may contribute to binaural-beat effectiveness in inducing state
        changes."
        So, I think this answers your "Does it work?" question. I don't know
        if it is safe, but I have tried something akin to this and survived.
        Ray Rose (no relation) has a great CD that produced a meditative
        state when I listened to it. His Email address is vibehealer@...
        I'm pretty sure that it does use this technology. Now to get to the
        heart of the matter. I don't believe that there are any shortcuts to
        spiritual evolution. A 15 year old kid can buy a hit of acid or
        ecstacy and experience something very exotic and exciting, but the
        next day if he gets acne, he will be very upset. "Highs" are not
        necessarily good, even if they mimic deep states of meditation. Their
        results are temporary. "Deep meditative states" that bring real
        change are the treasure you seek, and that is best attained by
        meditation.
        If you do pursue this methodology, please post something about what
        you have experienced. I'm sure it will be very interesting.
        Peace and blessings,
        Bob Rose
        <onewizardway@y...> wrote:
        > Astronauts are using a binaural beat something technology to reduce
        > their need for sleep. I did a search and found this
        > http://www.brain.web-us.com/thescience.htm . It appears that it
        > creates altered states and allows someone to achieve deep states of
        > meditation in about 5 minutes that normally take master years. Has
        > any one tried this technology? Does it work? Is it safe? Is there a
        > disadvantage to taking a short cut to reach these levels?
        > Thanks.
      • texasbg2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
          Dear Wizard:

          I bought a brainwave entrainment device a few years ago and it worked
          very well. It seems that the key to using the device for meditation
          is to induce the alpha waves. This can be done in either hemisphere
          of the brain or both. The Alpha waves are the bridge between the
          beta and theta.
          It was interesting to experiment with the machine called the David
          Paradise (not recommended for epilectics). It cost about $500.

          An interesting book on brainwaves is "The High Performance Mind" by
          Anna Wise. She helped develop a machine that draws a picture of the
          relative srengths of delta, theta, alpha, and beta of people in
          various activities including the highest meditative states. The
          diagram for the highest state is very interesting.

          The paradise machine I mentioned above worked very well for me until
          I started meditating on the I Am. Then it had no effect after that,
          which I thought was interesting too.

          For info on the machine the company where I got mine is Comptronics
          Devices Limited and they have a good website.

          I hope this helps

          Love
          Bobby G.

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "onewizardway"
          <onewizardway@y...> wrote:
          > Astronauts are using a binaural beat something technology to reduce
          > their need for sleep. I did a search and found this
          > http://www.brain.web-us.com/thescience.htm . It appears that it
          > creates altered states and allows someone to achieve deep states of
          > meditation in about 5 minutes that normally take master years. Has
          > any one tried this technology? Does it work? Is it safe? Is there a
          > disadvantage to taking a short cut to reach these levels?
          > Thanks.
        • tosime2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
            Hi Bobby G,

            Could you describe how your sessions on the David Paradise machine
            went?

            Also, what happened when you started meditating on the "I Am"? What
            is your explanation for why the machine had no effect?

            Thanks...Tony

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2002
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tosime2001" <tosime@l...>
              wrote:
              > Hi Bobby G,

              Hi Tony:

              > Could you describe how your sessions on the David Paradise machine
              > went?

              Yes, the machine comes with preset programs that you key in on the
              pad. A booklet describes what brainwave frequency and what brain
              hemisphere will be progammed and the effects. Don the eyepieces and
              earphones and begin the session. Light and sound pulses induce the
              brainwaves.
              I found it very effective.

              > Also, what happened when you started meditating on the "I Am"? What
              > is your explanation for why the machine had no effect?

              I believe the I Am meditation is a balanced mix of brainwaves that is
              stable. It is an effortless meditation.
              Constraint of the fluctuations (vrittis) of Consciousness is the goal
              IMO of all spiritual programs. The I Am is the Aham vritti or first
              fluctuation. If it is held stable in the mind, then all others are
              also.
              Impressions even those from a machine plugged into the senses
              metaphorically bounce off it.
              At any rate as long as I meditated on the I Am the machine would not
              change my brainwaves. The machine was a good reminder though as it
              was a single distraction instead of the infinite number of
              distractions I am usually susceptable to. White noise can also be
              programmed in to keep out annoying sounds and visuals.

              > Thanks...Tony

              My pleasure
              Love,
              Bobby G.