yet more questions...

  • lesley_j2001
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2002
      I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
      many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
      detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.

      I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
      as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
      this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
      question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
      does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
      back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
      bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
      of thoughts floating around.

      Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
      thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
      easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
      toward oneness with the divine?

      Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
      spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
      others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
      as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
      contribution to society in some humanitarian way.

      My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
      spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
      Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
      truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
      priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
      one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
      journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
      several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
      and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
      renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
      why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
      householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
      this in your reply.

      Lesley
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2002
        Dear Lesley,
        You state "I am happy as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy
        making a contribution to society in some humanitarian way." You also
        ask about karma, and the question of having to become a renunciate in
        order to be a spiritually evolved person. Many monks, nuns, swami's
        and so on, are not overly happy, wise, are not making a contribution
        to humanity, and aren't particularly spiritual. A householder whose
        intentions are pure is far more advanced than a person who just wears
        the robes, but is empty of real goodness. The formula for spiritual
        development, karma, and a good reincarnation is as follows: The more
        selflessly you act, the better the karma. The greater the
        selfishness, the greater the suffering/bad karma/bad reincarnation.
        Acting always with humility and compassion is the perfect
        methodology.

        As the great Swami Sivananda said to summarize the 350+ spiritual
        books he had written, "Be good. Do good." If your "gut feeling" is
        that it isn't right to just acknowledge negative thoughts and not act
        on them, you can take the spiritual warrior path. This would involve
        action, demonstrated by witnessing your life as it takes place,
        emptying yourself of negativity when it arises, and filling with
        love. Since thoughts are the greatest cause of reactions, witness
        them with dispassionate discrimination, and don't let the negative
        ones come forward to become negative words, and then negative
        actions.

        I know it is considered somewhat of a cliché, but there is no
        doubt that being a good wife, mom, and woman can be the best
        contribution anyone can make to the world. To do these jobs perfectly
        necessitates being selfless, humble, and compassionate. Of course,
        the same is true of being a good husband, father, and man. Whenever
        these vocations are done properly, you are guaranteed good karma,
        spiritual growth, and all the other blessings ever dreamt of, and
        more. You have nothing to fear. You are going in the right direction.

        Lesley wrote:
        > I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
        > many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
        > detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.
        >
        > I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
        > as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
        > this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
        > question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
        > does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
        > back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
        > bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
        > of thoughts floating around.
        >
        > Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
        > thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
        > easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
        > toward oneness with the divine?
        >
        > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation
        and
        > spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
        > others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
        > as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
        > contribution to society in some humanitarian way.
        >
        > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
        > spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
        > Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
        > truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
        > priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
        > one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
        > journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
        > several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
        > and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
        > renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
        > why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
        > householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
        > this in your reply.
        >
        > Lesley
      • kmckenzie92765
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2002
          > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
          > spiritual growth. . . . .
          >
          > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
          > spiritual humans. >
          > Lesley

          Oh, Lesley, the things I could share with you. I'm a novice with
          meditation, but I'm sure of the connection with God, and there is nothing
          to fear, only blessing. We come from God and enjoying a daily
          connection with God -- which some call mystical -- is the most natural
          thing in the world.

          That connection is not only for priests and saints -- it's for everyone.
          You have an internal guide and you will be perfectly safe. Do not
          attempt to go where it is fearful for you, but ask for guidance and it will
          be given. Keep in mind that God is a God of love -- anything that
          promotes fear is not where you're supposed to be.

          "If you only knew who walks beside you on the path you have chosen,
          fear would be impossible."

          kathleen