What is supposed to happen?

  • kmckenzie92765
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2002
      I've been meditating off and on for the
      past 25 years. For a long time, it was
      more off, but the past three years I've
      used the workbook from A Course in
      Miracles fairly consistently.

      I find I catch my negativity more quickly
      and replace negative thoughts with
      thoughts from the Course, but other than
      that, what is the benefit?

      My blood pressure is sky-high, my self-
      confidence is zilch, I feel unfocused and
      unaccomplished and not very good about
      myself.

      I try to accept this as just what is, but
      I can't escape the feeling I'm missing
      something significant. Am I using a wrong
      technique? Help.

      kathleen
    • messenger93225
      Message 2 of 4 , May 21, 2002
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "kmckenzie92765"
        <kathleenm@y...> wrote:
        > I've been meditating off and on for the
        > past 25 years. For a long time, it was
        > more off, but the past three years I've
        > used the workbook from A Course in
        > Miracles fairly consistently.
        > My bloodpressure is up, etc.

        Dear kathleen,

        You aren't meditating then. You are thinking happy thoughts. this
        is not real meditation. Check into the vipassana meditation. This
        yeilds results.
        Then to replace intolerant feelings with patient ones and such
        comes naturally = from within...
        Less from outside in..(as in putting it 'on')......
        And more from within yourself out, as the source.
        The whole blood pressure thing comes from within.

        Love yourself, yu are on a good path!

        Spiritous
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2002
          Dear Kathleen,
          Hi! Spiritous shows alot of wisdom and good direction, but when you
          stated "I catch my negativity more quickly and replace negative
          thoughts with thoughts from the Course", I feel that this is more than
          just having "happy thoughts". It's a real meditative task that we all
          should be doing. To let your mind run wild and take dump negativity
          all over you is foolish. When you do affirmations, you are literally
          rewireing your brain, and you will more and more develop the habit of
          having pure (sattvic) thoughts. This helps remove the habitual
          negative reactivity we all have conditioned into us. BTW, It's a
          beautiful thing when the benefits you receive from meditation are so
          very apparent, as you have seen with your blood pressure dropping. I
          wish you well.
          messenger93225 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "kmckenzie92765"
          > <kathleenm@y...> wrote:
          > > I've been meditating off and on for the
          > > past 25 years. For a long time, it was
          > > more off, but the past three years I've
          > > used the workbook from A Course in
          > > Miracles fairly consistently.
          > > My bloodpressure is up, etc.
          >

          > Dear kathleen,
          >
          > You aren't meditating then. You are thinking happy thoughts. this
          > is not real meditation. Check into the vipassana meditation. This
          > yeilds results.
          > Then to replace intolerant feelings with patient ones and such
          > comes naturally = from within...
          > Less from outside in..(as in putting it 'on')......
          > And more from within yourself out, as the source.
          > The whole blood pressure thing comes from within.
          >
          > Love yourself, yu are on a good path!
          >
          > Spiritous
        • messenger93225
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2002
            > Dear, no_reply (is that your name? )

            I realise that my response was very strong. (It must be the zen
            talking! lolol!) Having said that, I am also in practise of
            Bodhicitta.
            So I tend to do a tough love, to snap folks out of it.<br>
            There is a difference in results [which Kathleen was not
            getting]....between just thinking "happy thoughts" = no
            results<br>And getting to the root causes of one's errrant
            thinking to the point that one has results.
            Yes, I wholly agree the practise of replacing errant thought with
            right and good thought is very effective...and that yeilds results.
            If it seems that I went on and on about results, it's just that
            25 years is a long wait for results.

            You are a gentle One.