Re: Reply and another question...

    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2002
      Dear Lesley,
      Thanks for your kind reaction to the answers offered to your
      questions. You mentioned crying in reaction to them, and later wrote
      of the need to "feel my feelings". What I think will be beneficial is
      to simply Witness them. This will bring about (Self) control and deep
      understanding. Understanding is not a physical, mental, or even an
      emotional thing. It is an intuitive, "gut feeling" thing, an
      awareness
      that is transcendant and comes in silence. What stops our seeing past
      everyone's human-ness and seeing their true being, is our chattering
      mind. Witnessing its activity will silence it eventually, as well as
      bring mastery of it. You're at a great place spiritually, like a
      flower opening and starting to release its wonderful aroma. This is
      why you are experiencing smelling incense. Everyone knows there is a
      3rd eye, and some know of the 3rd inner ear, with which we can hear
      the ever present celestial sounds, but few know about or experience
      the sweet fragrances. Enjoy this blessing. But just Witness this in
      silence and fill with this and all the wonders of the universe.
      lesley wrote:
      > Wow! I started crying when I read your post. You said almost
      > exactly what I *understood* in meditation last night.
      >
      > It came to me that to be balanced I need to *feel my feelings*
      > more so I can work through them. I also understood that I need
      > to see past everyone's human-ness with my spiritual eye to see
      > their true being to really practice the principle of unconditional
      > love. I know that doesn't make much sense, but that's what I
      > understood last night and again in your post.
      >
      > As for my other question...what does it mean when one smells
      > incense during a dream?
      >
      > Thank you!!!!
      >
      > Lesley
    • lesley_j2001
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2002
        I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
        many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
        detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.

        I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
        as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
        this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
        question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
        does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
        back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
        bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
        of thoughts floating around.

        Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
        thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
        easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
        toward oneness with the divine?

        Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
        spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
        others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
        as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
        contribution to society in some humanitarian way.

        My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
        spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
        Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
        truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
        priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
        one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
        journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
        several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
        and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
        renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
        why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
        householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
        this in your reply.

        Lesley
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2002
          Dear Lesley,
          You state "I am happy as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy
          making a contribution to society in some humanitarian way." You also
          ask about karma, and the question of having to become a renunciate in
          order to be a spiritually evolved person. Many monks, nuns, swami's
          and so on, are not overly happy, wise, are not making a contribution
          to humanity, and aren't particularly spiritual. A householder whose
          intentions are pure is far more advanced than a person who just wears
          the robes, but is empty of real goodness. The formula for spiritual
          development, karma, and a good reincarnation is as follows: The more
          selflessly you act, the better the karma. The greater the
          selfishness, the greater the suffering/bad karma/bad reincarnation.
          Acting always with humility and compassion is the perfect
          methodology.

          As the great Swami Sivananda said to summarize the 350+ spiritual
          books he had written, "Be good. Do good." If your "gut feeling" is
          that it isn't right to just acknowledge negative thoughts and not act
          on them, you can take the spiritual warrior path. This would involve
          action, demonstrated by witnessing your life as it takes place,
          emptying yourself of negativity when it arises, and filling with
          love. Since thoughts are the greatest cause of reactions, witness
          them with dispassionate discrimination, and don't let the negative
          ones come forward to become negative words, and then negative
          actions.

          I know it is considered somewhat of a cliché, but there is no
          doubt that being a good wife, mom, and woman can be the best
          contribution anyone can make to the world. To do these jobs perfectly
          necessitates being selfless, humble, and compassionate. Of course,
          the same is true of being a good husband, father, and man. Whenever
          these vocations are done properly, you are guaranteed good karma,
          spiritual growth, and all the other blessings ever dreamt of, and
          more. You have nothing to fear. You are going in the right direction.

          Lesley wrote:
          > I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
          > many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
          > detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.
          >
          > I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
          > as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
          > this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
          > question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
          > does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
          > back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
          > bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
          > of thoughts floating around.
          >
          > Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
          > thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
          > easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
          > toward oneness with the divine?
          >
          > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation
          and
          > spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
          > others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
          > as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
          > contribution to society in some humanitarian way.
          >
          > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
          > spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
          > Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
          > truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
          > priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
          > one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
          > journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
          > several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
          > and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
          > renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
          > why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
          > householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
          > this in your reply.
          >
          > Lesley
        • kmckenzie92765
          Message 4 of 7 , May 22, 2002
            > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
            > spiritual growth. . . . .
            >
            > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
            > spiritual humans. >
            > Lesley

            Oh, Lesley, the things I could share with you. I'm a novice with
            meditation, but I'm sure of the connection with God, and there is nothing
            to fear, only blessing. We come from God and enjoying a daily
            connection with God -- which some call mystical -- is the most natural
            thing in the world.

            That connection is not only for priests and saints -- it's for everyone.
            You have an internal guide and you will be perfectly safe. Do not
            attempt to go where it is fearful for you, but ask for guidance and it will
            be given. Keep in mind that God is a God of love -- anything that
            promotes fear is not where you're supposed to be.

            "If you only knew who walks beside you on the path you have chosen,
            fear would be impossible."

            kathleen