Reply and another question...

  • lesley_j2001
    Message 1 of 7 , May 21, 2002
      Wow! I started crying when I read your post. You said almost
      exactly what I *understood* in meditation last night.

      It came to me that to be balanced I need to *feel my feelings*
      more so I can work through them. I also understood that I need
      to see past everyone's human-ness with my spiritual eye to see
      their true being to really practice the principle of unconditional
      love. I know that doesn't make much sense, but that's what I
      understood last night and again in your post.

      As for my other question...what does it mean when one smells
      incense during a dream?

      Thank you!!!!

      Lesley
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2002
        Dear Lesley,
        Thanks for your kind reaction to the answers offered to your
        questions. You mentioned crying in reaction to them, and later wrote
        of the need to "feel my feelings". What I think will be beneficial is
        to simply Witness them. This will bring about (Self) control and deep
        understanding. Understanding is not a physical, mental, or even an
        emotional thing. It is an intuitive, "gut feeling" thing, an
        awareness
        that is transcendant and comes in silence. What stops our seeing past
        everyone's human-ness and seeing their true being, is our chattering
        mind. Witnessing its activity will silence it eventually, as well as
        bring mastery of it. You're at a great place spiritually, like a
        flower opening and starting to release its wonderful aroma. This is
        why you are experiencing smelling incense. Everyone knows there is a
        3rd eye, and some know of the 3rd inner ear, with which we can hear
        the ever present celestial sounds, but few know about or experience
        the sweet fragrances. Enjoy this blessing. But just Witness this in
        silence and fill with this and all the wonders of the universe.
        lesley wrote:
        > Wow! I started crying when I read your post. You said almost
        > exactly what I *understood* in meditation last night.
        >
        > It came to me that to be balanced I need to *feel my feelings*
        > more so I can work through them. I also understood that I need
        > to see past everyone's human-ness with my spiritual eye to see
        > their true being to really practice the principle of unconditional
        > love. I know that doesn't make much sense, but that's what I
        > understood last night and again in your post.
        >
        > As for my other question...what does it mean when one smells
        > incense during a dream?
        >
        > Thank you!!!!
        >
        > Lesley
      • lesley_j2001
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2002
          I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
          many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
          detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.

          I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
          as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
          this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
          question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
          does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
          back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
          bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
          of thoughts floating around.

          Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
          thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
          easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
          toward oneness with the divine?

          Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
          spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
          others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
          as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
          contribution to society in some humanitarian way.

          My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
          spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
          Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
          truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
          priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
          one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
          journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
          several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
          and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
          renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
          why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
          householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
          this in your reply.

          Lesley
          Message 4 of 7 , May 22, 2002
            Dear Lesley,
            You state "I am happy as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy
            making a contribution to society in some humanitarian way." You also
            ask about karma, and the question of having to become a renunciate in
            order to be a spiritually evolved person. Many monks, nuns, swami's
            and so on, are not overly happy, wise, are not making a contribution
            to humanity, and aren't particularly spiritual. A householder whose
            intentions are pure is far more advanced than a person who just wears
            the robes, but is empty of real goodness. The formula for spiritual
            development, karma, and a good reincarnation is as follows: The more
            selflessly you act, the better the karma. The greater the
            selfishness, the greater the suffering/bad karma/bad reincarnation.
            Acting always with humility and compassion is the perfect
            methodology.

            As the great Swami Sivananda said to summarize the 350+ spiritual
            books he had written, "Be good. Do good." If your "gut feeling" is
            that it isn't right to just acknowledge negative thoughts and not act
            on them, you can take the spiritual warrior path. This would involve
            action, demonstrated by witnessing your life as it takes place,
            emptying yourself of negativity when it arises, and filling with
            love. Since thoughts are the greatest cause of reactions, witness
            them with dispassionate discrimination, and don't let the negative
            ones come forward to become negative words, and then negative
            actions.

            I know it is considered somewhat of a cliché, but there is no
            doubt that being a good wife, mom, and woman can be the best
            contribution anyone can make to the world. To do these jobs perfectly
            necessitates being selfless, humble, and compassionate. Of course,
            the same is true of being a good husband, father, and man. Whenever
            these vocations are done properly, you are guaranteed good karma,
            spiritual growth, and all the other blessings ever dreamt of, and
            more. You have nothing to fear. You are going in the right direction.

            Lesley wrote:
            > I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
            > many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
            > detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.
            >
            > I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
            > as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
            > this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
            > question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
            > does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
            > back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
            > bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
            > of thoughts floating around.
            >
            > Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
            > thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
            > easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
            > toward oneness with the divine?
            >
            > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation
            and
            > spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
            > others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
            > as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
            > contribution to society in some humanitarian way.
            >
            > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
            > spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
            > Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
            > truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
            > priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
            > one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
            > journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
            > several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
            > and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
            > renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
            > why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
            > householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
            > this in your reply.
            >
            > Lesley
          • kmckenzie92765
            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2002
              > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
              > spiritual growth. . . . .
              >
              > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
              > spiritual humans. >
              > Lesley

              Oh, Lesley, the things I could share with you. I'm a novice with
              meditation, but I'm sure of the connection with God, and there is nothing
              to fear, only blessing. We come from God and enjoying a daily
              connection with God -- which some call mystical -- is the most natural
              thing in the world.

              That connection is not only for priests and saints -- it's for everyone.
              You have an internal guide and you will be perfectly safe. Do not
              attempt to go where it is fearful for you, but ask for guidance and it will
              be given. Keep in mind that God is a God of love -- anything that
              promotes fear is not where you're supposed to be.

              "If you only knew who walks beside you on the path you have chosen,
              fear would be impossible."

              kathleen