I'm confused on what's happening...

  • lesley_j2001
    Message 1 of 7 , May 20, 2002
      I'm new to consistent meditation. However, I consider myself to
      be fairly open at most times. I attend a group meditation at an
      SRF group in my city. I've also started meditating at night.

      When I started meditating, I was seeing colors, mostly light blue,
      dark blue and purple. I concentrated on these and allowed them
      to flow into their *vortices.* After some research, I learned that
      these are chakra colors and learned about the images
      associated with the colors. I would often see the dark blue look
      like an eclipse then eventually I would literally see an eye shape.
      But, I've not gone beyond that. At a group meditation, I was
      getting green and felt my chest expanding. Then, I felt an
      enormous amount of *pressure* which I assume was energy at
      my throat. Following that meditation, my neck was tender for
      several days.

      At my first group meditation, I started sobbing loudly for all the
      sorrows of the world. I know that sounds corny, but that's really
      how I felt. For weeks following, when I'd be doing mindless work
      like housecleaning, I was comparing my life experiences to bad
      choices that could have been and discovering how much I am
      *everyone else* just I'm representing a different *reality.* (mad at
      kids and Andrea Yates is one that came up because it was on
      the news at the time and I really was struggling to understand
      how that could happen)

      Here's the last big weird one...last night I was meditating. I
      started feeling this energy flow starting at the middle back of my
      spine going down the back up the front of the spine. At the same
      time, I could hear this *hum* like a motor running. (I meditate
      with no noise, so it wasn't the CD player <g>.) After just a few
      minutes I felt like I couldn't breathe. I had to stop meditation and
      pace the room to catch my breath.

      I've also had a dream where I could see everythings' aura and a
      dream about a yogi who's book I just read.

      What the heck is happening to me? What am I supposed to be
      doing? Where am I supposed to go with this?

      Lesley

      P.S. sorry for all the ** words. I really am not sure I'm expressing
      myself well or making any sense.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 20, 2002
        Dear Lesley,
        First of all, thank you for sharing your very interesting
        experiences.
        You start by saying, "I'm new to consistent meditation". I'm pretty
        sure you mean that you are new to meditating regularly, and that is
        something quite different. What you are describing are kundalini yoga
        type meditations, feelings, and visions. The more you have, the less
        disturbing/odd feeling they will be, and the deeper you will be able
        to go. This can be very addicting, and it is easy to spend years
        seeking "higher" and more spectacular visions. I suggest just sitting
        back serenely, non-reactively, silently, without mental chatter, and
        just Witness what flows by. Be empty and you will fill with
        unimaginably wonder-full sights, sounds, and insight. It seems
        obvious
        that you have come to the point where your concentration is strong
        enough and meditation just comes to you. But, many who have had these
        type experiences have found that in the moments of their "real life",
        they are just as suffering, reactive, and helpless as they ever were.
        It is important that you now fully develop all areas of your
        spiritual
        life. Rid yourself of all negativity; learn to be the master/mistress
        of your mental, physical, and emotional reactivity. How to do this?
        Simply start paying attention to your life as it takes place as
        intently as you do to the events your meditation present to you while
        sitting in meditation. Be at one with your inner Witness as often as
        possible as the events of your life unfold before you. This is
        "consistent meditation". So, the methodology I am suggesting is to
        continue sitting in formal meditation and letting the kundalini
        shakti
        energy have it's way with you, and silently witness it. Add a form of
        Mindfulness meditation to your practice. This will automatically let
        you recognize your negative characteristics and replace them with
        righteous ones. Be gentle with your self; don't put yourself down
        during this process. You have been very blessed and your blessings
        will grow greatly. Be patient. You need not be obsessive about
        seeking
        the miraculous. It will effortlessly, perhaps after great effort,
        continue to present itself to you. And in the exact moment it is
        supposed to, all the mysteries will be revealed and you will live
        happily ever after.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 21, 2002
          Wow! I started crying when I read your post. You said almost
          exactly what I *understood* in meditation last night.

          It came to me that to be balanced I need to *feel my feelings*
          more so I can work through them. I also understood that I need
          to see past everyone's human-ness with my spiritual eye to see
          their true being to really practice the principle of unconditional
          love. I know that doesn't make much sense, but that's what I
          understood last night and again in your post.

          As for my other question...what does it mean when one smells
          incense during a dream?

          Thank you!!!!

          Lesley
          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2002
            Dear Lesley,
            Thanks for your kind reaction to the answers offered to your
            questions. You mentioned crying in reaction to them, and later wrote
            of the need to "feel my feelings". What I think will be beneficial is
            to simply Witness them. This will bring about (Self) control and deep
            understanding. Understanding is not a physical, mental, or even an
            emotional thing. It is an intuitive, "gut feeling" thing, an
            awareness
            that is transcendant and comes in silence. What stops our seeing past
            everyone's human-ness and seeing their true being, is our chattering
            mind. Witnessing its activity will silence it eventually, as well as
            bring mastery of it. You're at a great place spiritually, like a
            flower opening and starting to release its wonderful aroma. This is
            why you are experiencing smelling incense. Everyone knows there is a
            3rd eye, and some know of the 3rd inner ear, with which we can hear
            the ever present celestial sounds, but few know about or experience
            the sweet fragrances. Enjoy this blessing. But just Witness this in
            silence and fill with this and all the wonders of the universe.
            lesley wrote:
            > Wow! I started crying when I read your post. You said almost
            > exactly what I *understood* in meditation last night.
            >
            > It came to me that to be balanced I need to *feel my feelings*
            > more so I can work through them. I also understood that I need
            > to see past everyone's human-ness with my spiritual eye to see
            > their true being to really practice the principle of unconditional
            > love. I know that doesn't make much sense, but that's what I
            > understood last night and again in your post.
            >
            > As for my other question...what does it mean when one smells
            > incense during a dream?
            >
            > Thank you!!!!
            >
            > Lesley
          • lesley_j2001
            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2002
              I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
              many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
              detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.

              I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
              as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
              this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
              question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
              does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
              back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
              bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
              of thoughts floating around.

              Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
              thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
              easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
              toward oneness with the divine?

              Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
              spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
              others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
              as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
              contribution to society in some humanitarian way.

              My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
              spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
              Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
              truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
              priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
              one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
              journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
              several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
              and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
              renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
              why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
              householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
              this in your reply.

              Lesley
              Message 6 of 7 , May 22, 2002
                Dear Lesley,
                You state "I am happy as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy
                making a contribution to society in some humanitarian way." You also
                ask about karma, and the question of having to become a renunciate in
                order to be a spiritually evolved person. Many monks, nuns, swami's
                and so on, are not overly happy, wise, are not making a contribution
                to humanity, and aren't particularly spiritual. A householder whose
                intentions are pure is far more advanced than a person who just wears
                the robes, but is empty of real goodness. The formula for spiritual
                development, karma, and a good reincarnation is as follows: The more
                selflessly you act, the better the karma. The greater the
                selfishness, the greater the suffering/bad karma/bad reincarnation.
                Acting always with humility and compassion is the perfect
                methodology.

                As the great Swami Sivananda said to summarize the 350+ spiritual
                books he had written, "Be good. Do good." If your "gut feeling" is
                that it isn't right to just acknowledge negative thoughts and not act
                on them, you can take the spiritual warrior path. This would involve
                action, demonstrated by witnessing your life as it takes place,
                emptying yourself of negativity when it arises, and filling with
                love. Since thoughts are the greatest cause of reactions, witness
                them with dispassionate discrimination, and don't let the negative
                ones come forward to become negative words, and then negative
                actions.

                I know it is considered somewhat of a cliché, but there is no
                doubt that being a good wife, mom, and woman can be the best
                contribution anyone can make to the world. To do these jobs perfectly
                necessitates being selfless, humble, and compassionate. Of course,
                the same is true of being a good husband, father, and man. Whenever
                these vocations are done properly, you are guaranteed good karma,
                spiritual growth, and all the other blessings ever dreamt of, and
                more. You have nothing to fear. You are going in the right direction.

                Lesley wrote:
                > I seached the website and found the mention of witnessing in
                > many meditation techniques. This seems to be the same as
                > detachment. Acknowledging the thing but not reacting.
                >
                > I have been told that negative thoughts can be there but as long
                > as we don't *act* on them, they're not really a problem. However,
                > this seems to conflict with my gut feeling on karma. So, my
                > question is does karma reflect only actions and reactions or
                > does it also reflect thoughts? I read about a scientific discovery
                > back when they discovered radio waves that found that dead
                > bodies emitted sound waves for thousands of years. That's a lot
                > of thoughts floating around.
                >
                > Also, once one becomes more aware of and a better controller of
                > thoughts, does one begin to balance karma from past lives more
                > easily? Meaning, does one hasten the re-incarnation cycle
                > toward oneness with the divine?
                >
                > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation
                and
                > spiritual growth. A minister suggested I am awakening. I've had
                > others suggest similar ideas using different words.I am happy
                > as a mom and wife, although I would enjoy making a
                > contribution to society in some humanitarian way.
                >
                > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
                > spiritual humans. This may be the childhood of Roman
                > Catholicism coming out. I have always assumed that if one is
                > truly blessed with divine union, one is or becomes a monk,
                > priest, swami, and renounces all material life and family. Or, that
                > one is at *death's door* and is cleansing spiritually for the
                > journey. I do not fear the act of death as I have witnessed it
                > several times and realize what the action is. I really enjoy my dd
                > and would not want to give that up so soon, either through
                > renouncing material life and family ties or death. This may be
                > why I'm drawn to the SRF. The lineage of yogis is that of
                > householder and teaching to householders. Please discusss
                > this in your reply.
                >
                > Lesley
              • kmckenzie92765
                Message 7 of 7 , May 22, 2002
                  > Lastly, I am a little fearful of going head first into meditation and
                  > spiritual growth. . . . .
                  >
                  > My fears are based on nothing more than society's placement of
                  > spiritual humans. >
                  > Lesley

                  Oh, Lesley, the things I could share with you. I'm a novice with
                  meditation, but I'm sure of the connection with God, and there is nothing
                  to fear, only blessing. We come from God and enjoying a daily
                  connection with God -- which some call mystical -- is the most natural
                  thing in the world.

                  That connection is not only for priests and saints -- it's for everyone.
                  You have an internal guide and you will be perfectly safe. Do not
                  attempt to go where it is fearful for you, but ask for guidance and it will
                  be given. Keep in mind that God is a God of love -- anything that
                  promotes fear is not where you're supposed to be.

                  "If you only knew who walks beside you on the path you have chosen,
                  fear would be impossible."

                  kathleen