Question From Email

    Message 1 of 19 , May 17 9:19 PM
      Question: How do you move a flame with energy??
      Answer: Like a human being, there is an energy that moves a flame.
      The same energy is behind, within, and ahead of everyone and
      everything. Meditation lets us be the Witness to the changes.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2002
        Question: The other night I was sitting in my lawn relaxing and
        meditating. It was a usual night, nothing was out of
        the ordinary. But as I was meditating it felt as if
        my body was slowly fading. And at this time I felt
        something trying to pull itself away from my physical
        body, that was fading as this energy was trying to
        unstick itself. Startled I opened my eyes and tried
        to figure out what had just happened. A little scared
        I closed my eyes and relaxed again, my body felt like
        it was twisting along with my insides. I wanted to
        see if I could let the thing that was trying to become
        unstuck to unstick, but my fear of not knowing what it
        was brought me to ask about it. Is this sort of thing
        a normal occurance? And if so should I try to let the
        stuck become unstuck?
        Thank you very much for your time.
        The confused
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2002
          I was hoping that someone with direct experience would respond.

          Here is my 2 cents.

          It reads like an OBE (Out-of-body experience). Many people have this experience daily and post these experiences to various Yahoo groups. I suggest doing a search for OBE or Kundalini, joining the groups and asking questions. You should find a lot of material in the files section of the groups. After you read this material you should have a good idea of what is happening and what to expect. You should not have any surprises.

          There are a number of web sites on OBE. I would suggest one of Robert Bruce's sites. He wrote the book 'Astral Dynamics' which I assume is a standard text on the subject.

          I think your fear is natural. I suggest reading a little about Kundalini just in case you have an 'awakening' so you will know what to do. From what I have read, most OBE's are harmless. What most people regret is not being able to re-create the experience when they finally decide to explore this area. I have read posts from people who try for months to re-create what happened spontaneously.

          My personal view is that our inner intelligence is much greater than our conscious mind. It knows what is happening even if we don't. In a sense we need to trust the process. It helps to be well informed first!

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 18, 2002
            Question:
            I have a comfortable chair with a
            straight back that I like to use for
            meditation.My question is,is it OK to
            support my back with the back of the
            chair?The back of the chair is straight
            and I'm much more comfortable this way.
            Thanks.
          • Tony
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 18, 2002
              My suggestion is to simply sit in a comfortable position. Not so comfortable
              that you naturally fall asleep and not so uncomfortable that it distracts
              from your meditation. For some people that might mean supporting the back
              for others it might not. So if you are more comfortable with your back being
              supported, then that should be the position for you.

              Some additional points.
              Over time you may decide to change your position - your level of relaxation
              and the state of your back muscles may warrant a change.
              During meditation you may reach a stage where you no longer feel the chair,
              so initial position may not be that important.
              You can experiment to find the best position, rather than forcing yourself
              into what you think is the best position.

              ...Tony

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 26, 2002
                Here's a question we received yesterday, and obviously I'm not able
                to address this from first hand experience. I suggested Ms Anonymous
                let me post this here, and she has graciously given her permission.
                I'm sure we have many here who can share their experiences, and many
                who will benefit from their sharing.
                Hi. I hope you can help me out. I am nearly 50 years old. For the
                last few months, I have been stressed out and have been waking up in
                the middle of the night and cannot go back to sleep. I keep awake
                worrying about things etc. I am also going through menopause. Do
                you have any good meditation advice for me? Your help would be
                appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 12, 2002
                  xxx wrote:
                  I have a Christian background and always was told that meditation was
                  a "New Age" thing and was of the devil. A new friend considers it the
                  same as prayer, which of course is a holy thing. How do meditation
                  and prayer differ?
                • Jeff Belyea
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 13, 2002
                    >xxx wrote:
                    >I have a Christian background and always was told that meditation was
                    >a "New Age" thing and was of the devil. A new friend considers it the
                    >same as prayer, which of course is a holy thing. How do meditation
                    >and prayer differ?

                    I like Mother Teresa's response to this question. She said, "Prayer is
                    talking to God. Meditation is listening to God." I have a Christian background
                    and was a preacher for 7 years in a church called, "Servants of The New
                    Covenant". I taught meditation classes in this church. I am convinced
                    that Jesus was a meditator, too. How about, "Be still and know that I am God."?

                    Jeff
                    --
                    Jeff Belyea
                    aka Jeffrey Noble,PhD

                  • G
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 13, 2002
                      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., Jeff Belyea <jeff@s...> wrote:
                      > >xxx wrote:
                      > >I have a Christian background and always was told that meditation
                      was
                      > >a "New Age" thing and was of the devil. A new friend considers it
                      the
                      > >same as prayer, which of course is a holy thing. How do meditation
                      > >and prayer differ?
                      > >

                      > I like Mother Teresa's response to this question. She said, "Prayer
                      is
                      > talking to God. Meditation is listening to God." I have a Christian
                      background
                      > and was a preacher for 7 years in a church called, "Servants of The
                      New
                      > Covenant". I taught meditation classes in this church. I am
                      convinced
                      > that Jesus was a meditator, too. How about, "Be still and know that
                      I am God."?

                      > Jeff

                      G: Jeff is so right as usual... Would have to say the the
                      Contemplatives are in the midst of prayer as Well as the listening or
                      waiting upon God... It is only within the stillness that the heart
                      speaks or the wisdom comes forth... Prayer is petitioning and
                      meditation is waiting for the answers...

                      i doub't that Christ or Abraham simply kept petitioning God
                      without sitting back and allowing God to send the Answers ... If
                      Moses wasn't willing to listen then how would the 10 commandments
                      have come? if Abraham didn't listen then how did he hear Gods word
                      to spare Issac... It is in the stillness that Gods voice may be
                      Known...

                      Love Shanti Om ...g... i was also within an esoteric christian
                      order and meditation was stressed as much as prayer...
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 8, 2003
                        To Whom It May Concern,
                        I am a 21 year old female in desperate need to find inner peace. I
                        lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly just under 2 years ago. I
                        thought that I was "ok" with myself but recently I found that I am
                        having anxiety attacks and am very angry most of the day. I wanted to
                        know if there was a way for meditation to help me overcome my problems
                        as well as a place to take lessons. I live in the Northeastern New
                        Jersey area and wanted to know if you had any recommendations to point
                        me in the right direction.
                        Thank you very much,
                      • jimmania
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 8, 2003
                          Dear L,

                          I lost my father too and experienced similar things to what you are going
                          through...recently I have become a student at the Integral Yoga Institute in
                          New York, and it has done wonders for me with both meditation and yoga. If
                          youy are able to get there they have terrific programs and they have helped
                          me find an inner peace that wasn't there before. In the meantime, be gentle
                          and patient with yourself and don't be afraid to seek help. I wish you all the
                          best.

                          ~jim c.

                          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, medit8ionsociety <
                          no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > To Whom It May Concern,
                          > I am a 21 year old female in desperate need to find inner peace. I
                          > lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly just under 2 years ago. I
                          > thought that I was "ok" with myself but recently I found that I am
                          > having anxiety attacks and am very angry most of the day. I wanted to
                          > know if there was a way for meditation to help me overcome my problems
                          > as well as a place to take lessons. I live in the Northeastern New
                          > Jersey area and wanted to know if you had any recommendations to point
                          > me in the right direction.
                          > Thank you very much,
                        • Gene Poole
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 9, 2003
                            >medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                            > To Whom It May Concern,
                            > I am a 21 year old female in desperate need to find inner peace. I
                            > lost my father suddenly and unexpectedly just under 2 years ago. I
                            > thought that I was "ok" with myself but recently I found that I am
                            > having anxiety attacks and am very angry most of the day. I wanted to
                            > know if there was a way for meditation to help me overcome my problems
                            > as well as a place to take lessons. I live in the Northeastern New
                            > Jersey area and wanted to know if you had any recommendations to point
                            > me in the right direction.
                            > Thank you very much,

                            Hello L...

                            My first step, based upon my own personal
                            experience, would be to enter psychotherapy
                            with a legitimate, degreed, licensed therapist.

                            Given the circumstances you present, I would
                            suggest a female therapist.

                            I would start out with 'cognitive therapy' first,
                            and then eventually graduate to 'transpersonal
                            therapy', in that order.

                            I suggest a schedule of at least once per week
                            for therapy.

                            It is better to approach your need immediately,
                            and to embrace therapy frankly; you have nothing
                            to lose by opening to the therapist.

                            Be sure to attend to any physical needs or illness
                            that may be troublesome or intruding into your
                            life. Unattended illness will always exacerbate
                            psychic distress.

                            If you are not doing so already, it is wise to begin
                            taking two 'B-100' natural B complex capsules
                            every morning with breakfast (you do eat breakfast,
                            yes?).

                            Of course... it is necessary to understand that any
                            choices you make, in any circumstances, are your
                            own. At all costs, avoid succumbing to the role of
                            victim.

                            Warm regards...

                            ==Gene Poole==
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
                              When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing or should
                              you do visulization? What is the difference?
                              L and J
                            • Jeff Belyea
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
                                Noticing the breath, focusing
                                our awareness on the gentle
                                and silent inhale and exhale,
                                is at the core of almost all
                                techniques or combination
                                of techniques taught as
                                "meditation".

                                As this relaxation technique
                                quiets the mind, we may
                                eventually come to an inner
                                silence, where even noticing
                                the breath fades away.

                                This inner silence is true
                                meditation, and over time
                                the meditator will come to
                                maintain this inner silence
                                as an undercurrent of life,
                                while being actively engaged
                                the daily activities.

                                At this point (and this ability
                                to be able to maintain the
                                inner silence while even
                                active can takes years for
                                some to achieve) meditation
                                becomes our natural state,
                                and with that comes a
                                peace of mind and freedom
                                from stress - or at least
                                an effective way to manage
                                stress –

                                and with it may come a
                                natural enlightenment, a
                                realization, an awakening,
                                an understanding, a sudden and
                                startling wisdom, a sense of
                                a "new" reality - that was there
                                all the time just waiting for us
                                to re-discover it and shake off
                                the learned way of thinking
                                that had us formerly identifying
                                ourselves with our thinking,
                                our senses, and our intellect.

                                Visualization is not meditation
                                in the classic sense, but is
                                a way to quiet negative self-talk
                                and may be a "cousin" to
                                meditation, but it is not
                                meditation.

                                Visualization is a wonderful
                                creative strategy for goal
                                achievement: imagining
                                that we are at an ideal weight,
                                motivating us toward success
                                in our careers, sports performance,
                                or breaking a habit like quitting
                                smoking...or jumping over
                                a big puddle.

                                Visualization is an active
                                use of our imagination and
                                while a positive and valuable
                                tools as mentioned above,
                                it engages the thinking process
                                and inner "noise", which is
                                not the same as the inner
                                silence that meditation
                                can bring us to experience -
                                and the mystical door that
                                it can open.

                                -- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com,
                                medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                > When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing
                                or should
                                > you do visulization? What is the difference?
                                > L and J
                              • roya kanani
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004

                                  When you meditate should you concentrate on your breathing or should
                                  you do visulization?  What is the difference?
                                  L and J

                                  I think when we concentrate in breathing, after short time appeared some image in our mind.

                                  Do you Yahoo!?
                                • ganeshbabu vempati