Re: Meditation in Education

  • texasbg2000
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2002
      Dear Bob

      I became a single parent in '79 when my two boys were 3 and 5 years
      old.

      I wanted to give them the tool of meditation. They were around 5 and
      7 when I judged them to be ready. When they got too active and
      needed to quieten is when I insisted they meditate. I showed them
      how to count their breaths, one on the intake, two on the outbreath,
      three on the next in breath, four on the out breath, and so on. Then
      I showed them each to count the whole breath as one, two, and so
      forth up to fifty breaths.
      The crucial thing was the one on one. I had to be very alert to
      watch them to see when they became distracted. When they did I put
      my hand on their head to remind them. After about four sessions they
      could count fifty breaths. They would only take about three minutes
      to do it but by then they had taken control of their lives again.

      Each has told me as an adult that he has used meditation when in
      times of great stress.

      Love
      Bobby G.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2002
        Dear Bobby,
        This is so fantastic. If every parent would take similar actions, we
        wouldn't need Meditation in Education in our schools. Beautiful!
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "texasbg2000"

      • freyjartist@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
          CARMELABOB@a...</A>

          Hi Bob,

          Speaking of Bob from Malaga, would i be welcome
          to get in touch with him re: the meditation in education
          endeavor?

          I was informally incorporating breathing, visualizations
          and relaxation techniques before
          my art classes when i was teaching in a school
          for special kids a few years ago. I received
          no resistance from them, and they even asked
          for it. Another thing i did was to spray diluted rose oil
          in the classroom between classes to change the ions from positive to
          negative--
          works like a thunderstorm does.

          I continue to witness all the stress all kids are
          under these days, and i feel especially motivated
          to make a concerted effort to join in on this endeavor
          on a larger scale, to help make stress management
          more of a priority,
          as you say, sooner rather than later.
          It seems very do-able. Time to walk the talk.

          will keep you posted,

          thank you Bob,

          Freyja

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a...
            wrote:
            > For anyone wanting to get in touch with Bob from Malaga, his
            emailaddress is:<A
            HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meditationsoci
            etyofamerica/post?protectID=1370172370630400891621
            34075143114253078105139218183041">
            > CARMELABOB@a...</A>
            >
            > Hi Bob,
            >
            > Speaking of Bob from Malaga, would i be welcome
            > to get in touch with him re: the meditation in education
            > endeavor?

            Hi,
            I'm sure that Bob would love it. He actually has a Meditation in
            Education article in the same issue of The Inner Traveler that I
            mentioned before, whose URL is at:
            http://www.meditationsociety.com/it35738/index.html
            He seemingly never says no to any seeker about anything.

            > I was informally incorporating breathing, visualizations
            > and relaxation techniques before
            > my art classes when i was teaching in a school
            > for special kids a few years ago. I received
            > no resistance from them, and they even asked
            > for it. Another thing i did was to spray diluted rose oil
            > in the classroom between classes to change the ions from positive
            > negative--
            > works like a thunderstorm does.
            >
            > I continue to witness all the stress all kids are
            > under these days, and i feel especially motivated
            > to make a concerted effort to join in on this endeavor
            > on a larger scale, to help make stress management
            > more of a priority,
            > as you say, sooner rather than later.
            > It seems very do-able. Time to walk the talk.
            >
            > will keep you posted,
            >
            > thank you Bob,
            >
            > Freyja

            Beautiful!!!