Re: Daily Practice (who i am)

  • freyjartist@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      <<Here you'll probably like this written by my friend
      James:>>

      ....yes, i really did like this, thank you!

      All my animal companions over the years have been some of the best teachers,
      as well as best friends.

      Of course, i didnt get to enjoy my hermit crab
      Fenwick, for very long, because he was murdered, by some idiots who decided
      to get it high on pot. Well, that is why i assumed it died, but i
      dont really know. It was fun to blame it on the perpetrators for a while,
      though.
      :-)

      freyja

      <<Though I cannot put my finger on it, nor can I quote it verbatim, I
      am reminded of the Whitman poem where he said (paraphrased):

      I could live with the animals.
      They are so self contained.
      They do not lie awake at night
      Weeping and worrying.
      There is not a one of them
      That bows to one of their own kind
      Who lived years ago.

      I know exactly where I stand with my cats. They are not nice to my
      face and critical of me to my back. This is not to say that they
      don't get pissed at me at times... But when they do, they let me know
      in no uncertain terms that they are pissed. And all I have to do is
      rectify whatever it was/is that is pissing them off, and everything
      is once again alright with no grudge or secret disdain.

      And they know to come to me when they are in some kind of trouble or
      have some kind of problem. Yet they also have a sense of those things
      over which I have no power. I have had a number of them just
      disappear, never to be seen again. But this is rare and only happens
      when the circumstances are beyond intervention.

      There is an axiom that the only REAL success in life is spending
      one's time the way one WANTS to spend one's time. And for those who
      have this compulsion to worry about one's relationship to goodness,
      it is an evidence of their doubt.

      A person whose attitude is one of care-free abandon, who doesn't
      worry about what they should do, but rather just does what seems to
      be efficacious at the time for THAT occasion, and then whether it
      turns out well or otherwise has no recriminations or regrets... That
      person is healthy in a spiritual way.

      Those who are constantly mindful of their and others relationships to
      whatever it is that they are in constant supplication or apprehension
      are the spiritual equivalent of a hypochondriac. The problem is that
      in spiritual hypochondria, there is no one who can help, for those
      who are spiritual hypochondriacs believe themselves to be in favor
      and anyone who would tell them to just drop all the bullshit
      concerns, MUST be some kind of infidel.

      Those who most want you to listen to and accept their religion are
      those who least want to listen to and accept another's religion. And
      those who most want others to be tolerant of them are the least
      tolerant of others.

      This never occurs among my cats.

      There isn't a doubt in the world that what they do isn't the right
      thing to do at the moment. I try to learn that lesson from them and
      act out of immediate comprehension of the right thing at the right
      time.

      It isn't, of course, always the right thing that gets done, but at
      least it is not done with any deviousness, nor with the idea of
      taking advantage.

      And I think that THAT is what makes plotting a good tryst so much
      fun. The intrigue of having things affect multiple levels and having
      the plan interlock so that what happens is the result of having
      understood, planned, and then have the whole thing fit together and
      come out just like it was hoped, brings satisfaction.

      Alas, life and the day to day, ever changing, hour to hour, custom
      made, minute to minute existence is so manifold and complex, that it
      isn't possible to completely prepare for every eventuality.

      It is the difference between training and rehearsing. The difference
      between Boxing and Dancing.

      The Dancers rehearse and then the performance is done with every move
      pre known.

      But Boxers train, and are then thus prepared to take improvisational
      action depending on the circumstances, even when the opponents are
      trying to confound and out-do the other.

      My father used to say that after you've seen the three
      MuhammedAli/JoeFrazier fights, that there just wasn't much boxing
      left that wasn't inferior and less than what was possible.

      Life is more a boxing match than a ballet performance.

      How well we handle it (life) is an indication of how good a man (or
      woman) we are.

      And Perfex handled even her demise with style and grace. She will be
      buried in the same manner.
      She deserves nothing less.>>