Meditation in Education

    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2002
      One of the most important goals of the Meditation Society of America
      is getting Meditation taught in every level of schooling, from
      kindergarten to college. We often receive communications from
      educators asking how this can be done. Here is one received via Email
      today:
      "I am very interesrted in finding out how I can start a meditation
      project that would be ongoing in my school. I am a spiritual animator
      and I feel that this could be a wonderful gift for the students.
      Grade one to grade 6. I look forward to hearing from you."

      About 2 months ago, we taught a group of child care/pre school/after
      school directors and their staff very simple meditation techniques,
      such as relaxing the body, witnessing the breath, and visualizations.
      We have had feedback that they have been used and the kids were very
      receptive to it, and the staff themselves found it very useful. I'd
      appreciate any ideas that people from this group could offer in how
      this can be done. I don't think there is anything better we could do
      for our kids than to give them tools to help deal with the challanges
      and stress that will face them. Please share.
      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose, President,
      Meditation Society of America
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2002
        Dear Bob

        I became a single parent in '79 when my two boys were 3 and 5 years
        old.

        I wanted to give them the tool of meditation. They were around 5 and
        7 when I judged them to be ready. When they got too active and
        needed to quieten is when I insisted they meditate. I showed them
        how to count their breaths, one on the intake, two on the outbreath,
        three on the next in breath, four on the out breath, and so on. Then
        I showed them each to count the whole breath as one, two, and so
        forth up to fifty breaths.
        The crucial thing was the one on one. I had to be very alert to
        watch them to see when they became distracted. When they did I put
        my hand on their head to remind them. After about four sessions they
        could count fifty breaths. They would only take about three minutes
        to do it but by then they had taken control of their lives again.

        Each has told me as an adult that he has used meditation when in
        times of great stress.

        Love
        Bobby G.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2002
          Dear Bobby,
          This is so fantastic. If every parent would take similar actions, we
          wouldn't need Meditation in Education in our schools. Beautiful!
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "texasbg2000"

        • freyjartist@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
            CARMELABOB@a...</A>

            Hi Bob,

            Speaking of Bob from Malaga, would i be welcome
            to get in touch with him re: the meditation in education
            endeavor?

            I was informally incorporating breathing, visualizations
            and relaxation techniques before
            my art classes when i was teaching in a school
            for special kids a few years ago. I received
            no resistance from them, and they even asked
            for it. Another thing i did was to spray diluted rose oil
            in the classroom between classes to change the ions from positive to
            negative--
            works like a thunderstorm does.

            I continue to witness all the stress all kids are
            under these days, and i feel especially motivated
            to make a concerted effort to join in on this endeavor
            on a larger scale, to help make stress management
            more of a priority,
            as you say, sooner rather than later.
            It seems very do-able. Time to walk the talk.

            will keep you posted,

            thank you Bob,

            Freyja

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2003
              --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, freyjartist@a...
              wrote:
              > For anyone wanting to get in touch with Bob from Malaga, his
              emailaddress is:<A
              HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meditationsoci
              etyofamerica/post?protectID=1370172370630400891621
              34075143114253078105139218183041">
              > CARMELABOB@a...</A>
              >
              > Hi Bob,
              >
              > Speaking of Bob from Malaga, would i be welcome
              > to get in touch with him re: the meditation in education
              > endeavor?

              Hi,
              I'm sure that Bob would love it. He actually has a Meditation in
              Education article in the same issue of The Inner Traveler that I
              mentioned before, whose URL is at:
              http://www.meditationsociety.com/it35738/index.html
              He seemingly never says no to any seeker about anything.

              > I was informally incorporating breathing, visualizations
              > and relaxation techniques before
              > my art classes when i was teaching in a school
              > for special kids a few years ago. I received
              > no resistance from them, and they even asked
              > for it. Another thing i did was to spray diluted rose oil
              > in the classroom between classes to change the ions from positive
              > negative--
              > works like a thunderstorm does.
              >
              > I continue to witness all the stress all kids are
              > under these days, and i feel especially motivated
              > to make a concerted effort to join in on this endeavor
              > on a larger scale, to help make stress management
              > more of a priority,
              > as you say, sooner rather than later.
              > It seems very do-able. Time to walk the talk.
              >
              > will keep you posted,
              >
              > thank you Bob,
              >
              > Freyja

              Beautiful!!!