Meditation, Metabolism and Other Questions

  • pontifexxxmaximus
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2002
      To what extent does meditation affect metabolism? I read somewhere
      that it slows it down, so one should meditate before meals in the
      morning and evening/afternoon. Does a shorter meditation affect
      metabolism less? Is a shorter meditation less effective, ie 3 reps of
      the 3rd eye meditation?

      I've been having some problems concentrating on the point in the
      middle of my eyebrows, mainly because I'm terribly tired and because
      contacts make the eye fluttering even more chronic. Are there any
      methods directed to improving concentration? Would it be good to have
      a pre-meditation "ritual", or warm-up of some sort? Would calming
      music in the background interfere with concentration?

      I'm have to admit, I feel quite bad for asking so many questions.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2002
        Tiperez beautifully answered alot of the questions Pontifexmaxim
        brought up, and I would like to try to help also by pointing to two
        of the techniques found on Meditation Station. As far as the 3rd Eye
        question, I think that this part of the 3rd Eye Meditation Technique,
        found at http://www.meditationsociety.com/week38.html
        may help with the answers you seek:

        "In the beginning of 3rd eye practice, it may help to place your
        thumb at the outer edge of one eye and your middle finger on the
        outer edge of the other, while placing your index finger at the
        mid-point between your eyebrows. This gives you a point of focus to
        place your attention. It also allows you to prevent your eyelids from
        fluttering. This commonly occurs, and can be distracting until you
        get used to the sensations that accompany this technique."

        As far as preparing to meditate, the part quoted below from the Coat
        of Many Colors technique, found at:
        may help give some ideas as ways that may help to prepare before
        actually beginning to meditate:

        "Prepare yourself for meditation in the way that you have found is
        best. Or, if you wish, there are basic techniques used to initiate
        the meditative state that you may try. For instance, you might sit as
        comfortably as possible and relax your muscles progressively from
        your toes to the top of your head. Witness your breath flowing in,
        saturating your entire being, and flowing out. Direct your mind,
        body,and emotions to not bother you now, in these moments of sacred
        inner insight. Repeat the observation of your breathing cycle over
        and over until you become as fluid as the air. This, and many other
        techniques, will allow you to experience the Alpha and Theta brain
        wave cycle rhythms that clinically characterize meditation and let
        you enter the realms of wonder, awe, and wisdom that they bring."

        I hope this helps. I also want to add that it's great to bring up
        these kind of questions. Every meditator goes through similar
        situations, and you can't ever get too much information that may help
        you (as Saint Jim Morrison put it) "go on through to the other side".
        So, instead of feeling guilty about asking too many questions, pat
        yourself on your spiritual back and know that by your brave honesty
        and sincere desire to learn, you are also helping many others.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"