Driving Meditation Technique

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2002
      We were blessed in class tonight by Mark McCloskey, who spoke about,
      and led a medition dealing with the experience of Pure Silence. After
      class, while he was driving, he shared a driving meditation that puts
      you in the witness position. It is one of many that can be found at
      his excellent web site at www.puresilence.org and I have copied it
      below. Since it seems like we all have trouble finding time to
      meditate and we all spend alot of time driving, I am interested in
      any meditations you use while driving. Please don't have them start
      with "Now I close my eyes and...." Here is Marks technique:

      As I drive down the road, looking forward, I question myself: "is the
      car moving or is the road simply unfurling beneath my wheels"? I rest
      with that thought and let the road come towards me. Everything is
      floating by: the sky, the other cars, the paint on the road, the
      signs, the litter. I am still, silent, looking forward, allowing all
      to move past. There is nothing I can do to change any of this. So
      here I am now. I am in my car. There are many other cars, some
      expensive ones, some clunkers, some white, some green, all flowing by
      with me. Some are speeding; some are dreadfully slow. At 10 miles
      faster than the speed limit, most are passing me by, but that is ok.
      There is no effort and no passivity. I am just here, hands on the
      wheel, foot on the gas pedal. There is only this.

      Whatever may arise I am aware of. I am watching and sensing. I am
      alert. I am aware of what is happening as far as my vision reaches
      forward or sideways. Where I have just been can not be seen. I can
      only look at what is behind me in my mirror and only for an instant
      or else I may crash. I just go on, staying in my lane, following the
      direction to my destination, until I get there. There is nothing else
      I can do.
    • texasbg2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2002
        I love to take long drives, two or three days, no radio, just letting
        the body mind be occupied and center on the I am. For a long time I
        counted breaths while driving and I finally noticed that it is
        completely automatic to drive an auto.

        Love
        Bobby G.