"Self"less acts

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 3:08 PM
      This doesn't have anything to do with a particular meditation
      technique, but since it has to do with meditative concepts, or rather
      concepts to meditate on, I thought I would share it with the group.
      I wrote this today in a journal that I keep, while contemplating the
      motivation for helping others.

      -- When you do things for others, it is for one of two reasons:
      1)because it makes you feel good (which is actually a selfish
      reason)
      or
      2)because you recognize that your ego(self) is not who you are.
      Your actions are truely in the service of others. They are true
      selfless actions because there is no "self" motivated to do
      the action.

      But then this lead me to ask, "Who" is the selfless act for?

      Any thoughts?

      Eve
    • wills_ghost_of_christmas_future
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2002
        The selfless act is for the benefit of the person you are performing
        it for, of course!
        If you help an old lady across the road, it is for her benefit.
        If you share a sandwich with a hungry person, it is for their benefit.
        If you give all your money to the needy, it is for the benefit of the
        needy.

        We do this because we recognise that everyone is equally important,
        and since there is only one of us, and millions of other people - we
        must spend most of our time helping other people in order not to be
        selfish. Make sense?

        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2002
          --- In
          meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "wills_ghost_of_christmas_future"
          <yahooaccount@s...> wrote:
          > The selfless act is for the benefit of the person you are
          performing
          > it for, of course!
          > If you help an old lady across the road, it is for her benefit.
          > If you share a sandwich with a hungry person, it is for their
          benefit.
          > If you give all your money to the needy, it is for the benefit of
          the
          > needy.

          Yes, the benefit to the receiver of the selfless act is obvious. But
          it is the motivation behind the person doing the selfless act that
          could be questioned.

          > We do this because we recognise that everyone is equally important,
          > and since there is only one of us, and millions of other people -
          we
          > must spend most of our time helping other people in order not to be
          > selfish. Make sense?

          Doesn't this imply that the selfless action is actually for the person
          doing the act?

          My question was really more about the "who", the "ego". "Who" is
          doing the act (and why) and "who" is it for? If both the doer and
          the receiver of the act are existing in a space of egolessness, who
          is it for? I would say it is for no one.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 26, 2002
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., eveneon <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Yes, the benefit to the receiver of the selfless act is obvious.But
            > it is the motivation behind the person doing the selfless act that
            > could be questioned.

            My motivation is the fact I care about the other person, and they
            need help. Of course some people only help others if they think they
            can get something in return, but that in itself is not selfish.

            If someone only helped people in order to get something in return,
            but never actually tried to get it, then there is no external
            difference between their actions and truly selfless actions.

            > My question was really more about the "who", the "ego". "Who" is
            > doing the act (and why) and "who" is it for? If both the doer and
            > the receiver of the act are existing in a space of egolessness, who
            > is it for? I would say it is for no one.

            If someone doesn't have an ego, that doesn't mean they don't exist.
            All it means is that their actions are not dictated by their personal
            needs.
            If I help someone, I am not doing it for their ego, or my ego. I am
            helping them because they need help. I am helping the part of them
            that is *them* - their essence or soul, or whatever. The "good them".