Re: are we meditating on defects?

  • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody"
      <melodyande@c...> wrote:
      > From Osho:
      >

      > Do not discuss defects.
      >
      > The mind tends to discuss the defects of others. It helps the
      ego to feel good. Everybody is such a sinner; when everybody is
      such a sinner, comparatively one feels like a saint. When
      everybody is doing wrong, it feels good that "At least I am not
      doing that much wrong."

      > Hence people talk about others' defects; not only do they talk
      about them, they go on magnifying them. That's why there is so
      much joy in gossiping. When the gossip passes from one hand
      to another hand, it becomes richer. And when it passes back
      again, something will be added to it. By the evening, if you come
      to know the gossip that you started in the morning, you will be
      surprised. In the morning it was just a molehill, now it is a
      mountain. People are very creative, really creative and inventive.

      > Why are people so interested in gossiping about others, in
      finding fault with others, in looking into others' loopholes and
      defects? Why are people continuously trying to look through
      others' keyholes? The reason is, this helps to give them a better
      feeling about themselves. They become Peeping Toms, just to
      have a good feeling, "I am far better." There is a motivation.

      > It is not just to help others--it is not, whatsoever they say,
      notwithstanding what they say.

      > The basic reason is, "If others are very ugly, then I am
      beautiful." They are following Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

      > Atisha says: Don't ponder over others' defects, it is none of your
      business. Don't interfere in others' lives, it is none of your
      business.

      > But there are great moralists whose whole work is to see who
      is doing wrong. Their whole life is wasted; they are like police
      dogs sniffing here and there. Their whole life's work is to know
      who is doing wrong.

      > Atisha says: That is an ugly trait and a sheer wastage of time
      and energy. Not only is it a wastage but it strengthens and
      gratifies the ego. And an ego more gratified becomes more of a
      barrier.

      > And remember, it is not only a question of not discussing
      others' defects. Don't even be too much concerned about your
      own defects. Take note, be aware, and let the matter be settled
      then and there.

      G: good writing....

      shanti om ..g..