are we meditating on defects?

  • Melody
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
      From Osho:

      Do not discuss defects.

      The mind tends to discuss the defects of others. It helps the ego to feel good. Everybody is such a sinner; when everybody is such a sinner, comparatively one feels like a saint. When everybody is doing wrong, it feels good that "At least I am not doing that much wrong."

      Hence people talk about others' defects; not only do they talk about them, they go on magnifying them. That's why there is so much joy in gossiping. When the gossip passes from one hand to another hand, it becomes richer. And when it passes back again, something will be added to it. By the evening, if you come to know the gossip that you started in the morning, you will be surprised. In the morning it was just a molehill, now it is a mountain. People are very creative, really creative and inventive.

      Why are people so interested in gossiping about others, in finding fault with others, in looking into others' loopholes and defects? Why are people continuously trying to look through others' keyholes? The reason is, this helps to give them a better feeling about themselves. They become Peeping Toms, just to have a good feeling, "I am far better." There is a motivation.

      It is not just to help others--it is not, whatsoever they say, notwithstanding what they say.

      The basic reason is, "If others are very ugly, then I am beautiful." They are following Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

      Atisha says: Don't ponder over others' defects, it is none of your business. Don't interfere in others' lives, it is none of your business.

      But there are great moralists whose whole work is to see who is doing wrong. Their whole life is wasted; they are like police dogs sniffing here and there. Their whole life's work is to know who is doing wrong.

      Atisha says: That is an ugly trait and a sheer wastage of time and energy. Not only is it a wastage but it strengthens and gratifies the ego. And an ego more gratified becomes more of a barrier.

      And remember, it is not only a question of not discussing others' defects. Don't even be too much concerned about your own defects. Take note, be aware, and let the matter be settled then and there.

    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Melody"
        <melodyande@c...> wrote:
        > From Osho:
        >

        > Do not discuss defects.
        >
        > The mind tends to discuss the defects of others. It helps the
        ego to feel good. Everybody is such a sinner; when everybody is
        such a sinner, comparatively one feels like a saint. When
        everybody is doing wrong, it feels good that "At least I am not
        doing that much wrong."

        > Hence people talk about others' defects; not only do they talk
        about them, they go on magnifying them. That's why there is so
        much joy in gossiping. When the gossip passes from one hand
        to another hand, it becomes richer. And when it passes back
        again, something will be added to it. By the evening, if you come
        to know the gossip that you started in the morning, you will be
        surprised. In the morning it was just a molehill, now it is a
        mountain. People are very creative, really creative and inventive.

        > Why are people so interested in gossiping about others, in
        finding fault with others, in looking into others' loopholes and
        defects? Why are people continuously trying to look through
        others' keyholes? The reason is, this helps to give them a better
        feeling about themselves. They become Peeping Toms, just to
        have a good feeling, "I am far better." There is a motivation.

        > It is not just to help others--it is not, whatsoever they say,
        notwithstanding what they say.

        > The basic reason is, "If others are very ugly, then I am
        beautiful." They are following Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

        > Atisha says: Don't ponder over others' defects, it is none of your
        business. Don't interfere in others' lives, it is none of your
        business.

        > But there are great moralists whose whole work is to see who
        is doing wrong. Their whole life is wasted; they are like police
        dogs sniffing here and there. Their whole life's work is to know
        who is doing wrong.

        > Atisha says: That is an ugly trait and a sheer wastage of time
        and energy. Not only is it a wastage but it strengthens and
        gratifies the ego. And an ego more gratified becomes more of a
        barrier.

        > And remember, it is not only a question of not discussing
        others' defects. Don't even be too much concerned about your
        own defects. Take note, be aware, and let the matter be settled
        then and there.

        G: good writing....

        shanti om ..g..