Re: Daily Practice

  • dan330033 <dan330033@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi G --

      I don't think Judi is saying at all
      "just do nothing and believe you are already
      enlightened."

      I think she is saying you must come to the end
      of your rope, the end of your adventure and
      process of becoming, of getting somewhere else,
      other than you are.

      Not saying, "I am fine as I am," but looking
      into what is going on when you attempt to
      say that -- what you are doing when you
      try to reassure yourself like that.

      Her critique points out, to me, that
      often "meditation practice" becomes a kind
      of placebo, someting to believe in so as
      to feel good about yourself eventually
      getting somewhere.

      She wants to undermine this kind of complacency,
      which is really a kind of supression.

      Meditation as formal practice easily lends itself
      to supression and belief that the status quo
      is working just fine.

      She is saying truth is here when the status quo
      is shaken to its roots and drops away.

      I feel she is talking about the heart of meditation,
      which formal practices presented by organizations
      often disguise.

      Gautama didn't say, "I am going to meditate real
      good, because meditation is good for your health
      and well-being, and I want to be healthy and feel
      good.

      Gautama did say, "I am going to sit here and not
      leave until I know, truly know directly. Nothing
      else matters to me, my will to live and thrive
      has no value, my family and power don't matter,
      there is just nothing else I can possibly
      do at this point."

      The suggestions, rationales, practices, and so on
      that various authorities had offered him, and
      which he had mastered were of no avail.

      Similar indications are shown by such as Lao Tzu,
      Jesus, I'm sure many others, but I don't
      catalogue them.

      So, for me, Judi is indicating that the heart of
      meditation has nothing to do with accepting
      what someone else tells you meditation practice
      is and should be. And she's not saying just
      do what you feel like doing, don't worry,
      you're enlightened already.

      You can't know what already always is the case,
      until you're attempt to provide other things
      which you want to be the case drops away.

      That attempt can be "I'm going to just be,
      and enjoy that I'm already enlightened,"
      or "I'm going to meditate real good, so
      I can learn more and more about who I am --
      isn't this great?"

      The heart of meditation is utter self-confrontation
      that is direct, that is the falling away of
      the unreal anchoring, that someone else can't
      give you.

      When you talk about your experience, it seems you're
      sometimes saying similar things.

      Frankly, the outward differences of form of how you
      teach and how Judi teaches doesn't matter as much to me as
      the heart of knowing, in which self-deceit
      breaks apart ...

      You deserve a break today,
      Dan :-)

    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 79 of 79 , Feb 3, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > I am still a few days behind. However this quote seemed a
        nice fit for the
        > daily practice thread.
        >
        > ...Tony
        >
        > Charlotte Joko Beck
        >
        > TRUE STORIES ABOUT SITTING
        >
        > How old were you when you started meditating?
        >
        > Beck: Thirty-nine, forty, somewhere in there.
        >
        > Did you have any realization through meditation?
        >
        > No. Of course we have realizations, but that's not what really
        drives
        > practice.
        >
        > Will you say more about that?
        >
        > I meet all sorts of people who've had all sorts of experiences
        and
        > they're still confused and not doing well in their life.
        Experiences
        > are not enough. My students learn that if they have so-called
        > experiences, I really don't care much about hearing about
        them. I just
        > tell them, "Yeah, that's OK. Don't hold onto it. And how are you
        > getting along with your mother?" Otherwise, they get stuck
        there.
        > It's not the important thing in practice.
        >
        > And may I ask you what is?
        >
        > Learning to deal with one's personal, egotistical self. That's the
        > work. Very, very difficult.
        >
        > There seems to be a payoff, though, because you feel alive
        instead of
        > dead.
        >
        > I wouldn't say a payoff. You're returning to the source, you might
        > say-what you always were, but which was severely covered by
        your core
        > belief and all its systems. And when those get weaker, you do
        feel
        > joy. I mean, then it's no big deal to do the dishes and clean up
        the
        > house and go to work and things like that.
        >
        > Doing the dishes is a great meditation-especially if you hate it.
        >
        > Well, if your mind wanders to other things while your doing the
        > dishes, just return it to the dishes. Meditation isn't something
        > special. It's not a special way of being. It's simply being aware
        of
        > what is going on.
        >
        > Does sitting meditation prepare the ground to do that?
        >
        > Sure. It gives you the strength to face the more complex things
        in
        > your life. You're not meeting anything much when your sitting
        except
        > your little mind. That's relatively easy when compared to some
        of the
        > complex situation we have to live out way through. Sitting gives
        you
        > the ability to work with your life.
        >
        > I read your books.
        >
        > Oh you read. Well, give up reading, OK?
        >
        > Give up reading your books?
        >
        > Well, they're all tight. Read them once and that's enough.
        Books are
        > useful. But some people read for fifty years, you know. And they
        > haven't begun their practice.
        >
        > How would you describe self-discovery?
        >
        > You're really just an ongoing set of events: boom, boom, boom,
        boom,
        > boom, one after the other. The awareness is keeping up with
        those
        > events, seeing your life unfolding as it is-not your ideas of it,
        not
        > your pictures of it. See what I mean?
        >
        > How would you define meditation?
        >
        > Awareness of what, mentally, physically.
        >
        > Can you please complete the following sentence for me. "The
        > experience of meditation is..."
        >
        > "...awareness of what is."
        >
        > "Meditative awareness has changes my life in the following
        way..."

        > "It has changed my life in the direction of it being more
        harmonious,
        > more satisfactory, more joyful, and more useful, probably."
        Though I
        > don't think much in those terms. I don't wake up in the morning
        > thinking, I'm going to be useful. I really think about what I'm
        going
        > to have for breakfast.
        >
        > "The one thing awareness has taught me that I want to share
        with all
        > people is that..."
        >
        > I don't want to share anything with all people.
        >
        > Who do you want to share with?
        >
        > Nobody. I just live my life. I don't go around wanting to share
        > something. That's extra.
        >
        > Could you talk about that a little bit?
        >
        > Well, there's a little shade of piety that creeps into practice. You
        > know, "I have this wonderful practice, I want to share it with
        > everyone." There's an error in that. You could probably figure it
        out
        > yourself.
        >
        > I think that's something I need to learn.
        >
        > You and I know there's nothing that's going to make me run
        away
        > faster than somebody who comes around and wants to be
        helpful. You
        > know what I mean? I don't want people to be helpful to me. I
        just
        > want to live my own life.
        >
        > Do you think you share yourself?
        >
        > Yeah, but who's that?

        G: i agree with this in the way that *realizations* and
        *experience* is used these are transitory and fleeting.... i call
        them insights and phenomena....
        this is quite different than *Realization* which blows out
        conceptual insights and phenomena ....

        shanti om ..g..