Re: Daily Practice

  • dan330033 <dan330033@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi Bob --

      Good points. Would like to add:

      At its core, meditation is the cutting through of delusion,
      dropping of attachment to the unreal, and knowing first-hand
      one's true being, as is.

      Originally, all formal meditation practices were spontaneous
      occurrences in the process of someone's intent to know
      who I am, and dropping away of any other concerns.

      Later, with the development of a "spiritual organization"
      we have formalized practice that is scripted, prescribed,
      and delivered by an authority to a learner.

      The organization and authority can provide the formula,
      but can't provide the intent to know.

      If meditation becomes "something I ought to do" or
      "something that is good for me" or "something that
      so and so says will lead to realization, which is
      a good thing" or "part of my culture"
      none of that involves the awakening
      of the intent to know ... which can't be
      prescribed or made to occur by an outside
      source -- yet is essential to knowing ...

      In my book, authentic meditation is nothing other than
      awakening itself. All of the practices you mention,
      and many more, originally were expressions of this
      spontaneous awakening process -- before they became
      formalized, ritualized, and prescribed by authorities.

      Dogen said practice isn't a way to get to enlightenment,
      practice is expression of enlightenment.

      As Jim Morrison said, "I think that you know what to do, girl ..."

      If the intent to know who I am is awakening, then
      it will know what to do.

      In fact, the construction of your entire life is aimed
      at knowing, *is* the awakening process as
      soon as it is known as such (not
      that awakening is a process or an aim -- it is
      more along the lines of the stripping away of
      an unreal structure of identifications ...)

      This is why it is said that the teacher appears when the
      student is ready. It can be no other way.

      The teacher is an appearing amidst appearances,
      amidst which the student also is an appearnce.

      The awakening is what requires no appearance, nor
      any disappearance.

      -- Dan

    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 79 of 79 , Feb 3, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > I am still a few days behind. However this quote seemed a
        nice fit for the
        > daily practice thread.
        >
        > ...Tony
        >
        > Charlotte Joko Beck
        >
        > TRUE STORIES ABOUT SITTING
        >
        > How old were you when you started meditating?
        >
        > Beck: Thirty-nine, forty, somewhere in there.
        >
        > Did you have any realization through meditation?
        >
        > No. Of course we have realizations, but that's not what really
        drives
        > practice.
        >
        > Will you say more about that?
        >
        > I meet all sorts of people who've had all sorts of experiences
        and
        > they're still confused and not doing well in their life.
        Experiences
        > are not enough. My students learn that if they have so-called
        > experiences, I really don't care much about hearing about
        them. I just
        > tell them, "Yeah, that's OK. Don't hold onto it. And how are you
        > getting along with your mother?" Otherwise, they get stuck
        there.
        > It's not the important thing in practice.
        >
        > And may I ask you what is?
        >
        > Learning to deal with one's personal, egotistical self. That's the
        > work. Very, very difficult.
        >
        > There seems to be a payoff, though, because you feel alive
        instead of
        > dead.
        >
        > I wouldn't say a payoff. You're returning to the source, you might
        > say-what you always were, but which was severely covered by
        your core
        > belief and all its systems. And when those get weaker, you do
        feel
        > joy. I mean, then it's no big deal to do the dishes and clean up
        the
        > house and go to work and things like that.
        >
        > Doing the dishes is a great meditation-especially if you hate it.
        >
        > Well, if your mind wanders to other things while your doing the
        > dishes, just return it to the dishes. Meditation isn't something
        > special. It's not a special way of being. It's simply being aware
        of
        > what is going on.
        >
        > Does sitting meditation prepare the ground to do that?
        >
        > Sure. It gives you the strength to face the more complex things
        in
        > your life. You're not meeting anything much when your sitting
        except
        > your little mind. That's relatively easy when compared to some
        of the
        > complex situation we have to live out way through. Sitting gives
        you
        > the ability to work with your life.
        >
        > I read your books.
        >
        > Oh you read. Well, give up reading, OK?
        >
        > Give up reading your books?
        >
        > Well, they're all tight. Read them once and that's enough.
        Books are
        > useful. But some people read for fifty years, you know. And they
        > haven't begun their practice.
        >
        > How would you describe self-discovery?
        >
        > You're really just an ongoing set of events: boom, boom, boom,
        boom,
        > boom, one after the other. The awareness is keeping up with
        those
        > events, seeing your life unfolding as it is-not your ideas of it,
        not
        > your pictures of it. See what I mean?
        >
        > How would you define meditation?
        >
        > Awareness of what, mentally, physically.
        >
        > Can you please complete the following sentence for me. "The
        > experience of meditation is..."
        >
        > "...awareness of what is."
        >
        > "Meditative awareness has changes my life in the following
        way..."

        > "It has changed my life in the direction of it being more
        harmonious,
        > more satisfactory, more joyful, and more useful, probably."
        Though I
        > don't think much in those terms. I don't wake up in the morning
        > thinking, I'm going to be useful. I really think about what I'm
        going
        > to have for breakfast.
        >
        > "The one thing awareness has taught me that I want to share
        with all
        > people is that..."
        >
        > I don't want to share anything with all people.
        >
        > Who do you want to share with?
        >
        > Nobody. I just live my life. I don't go around wanting to share
        > something. That's extra.
        >
        > Could you talk about that a little bit?
        >
        > Well, there's a little shade of piety that creeps into practice. You
        > know, "I have this wonderful practice, I want to share it with
        > everyone." There's an error in that. You could probably figure it
        out
        > yourself.
        >
        > I think that's something I need to learn.
        >
        > You and I know there's nothing that's going to make me run
        away
        > faster than somebody who comes around and wants to be
        helpful. You
        > know what I mean? I don't want people to be helpful to me. I
        just
        > want to live my own life.
        >
        > Do you think you share yourself?
        >
        > Yeah, but who's that?

        G: i agree with this in the way that *realizations* and
        *experience* is used these are transitory and fleeting.... i call
        them insights and phenomena....
        this is quite different than *Realization* which blows out
        conceptual insights and phenomena ....

        shanti om ..g..