Re: Daily Practice

  • texasbg2000 <Bigbobgraham@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 1, 2003
      >>>G: of course to you meditation remains a needed practice....

      Bg-I was quite clear. Meditation is needed by anyone because of the
      ceaseless pressures presented everyday to everyone.

      >>>so you feel that it will always need to remain in place....

      Bg-Yes meditation needs to remain a daily activity for everyone.

      >>>we are not really saying such different things... one needs
      not sit in a certain position to be within a stilled and open
      mind state that is called meditation.... there comes a time
      when this is ongoing...

      Bg--There is no time when you cannot fall from grace. Spontaneous
      meditation is also subject to cessation.

      needs to be accessed by sitting and attempting to put it into
      place.... it is an ongoing spontaneous reality ......
      many scriptures speak to this as well.... perhaps you just
      have not encountered it as yet and therefore deny its
      validity .... but i can say that Yes it can and does exist ....

      Bg--My experience of spontaneous meditation, dhyana, is sporadic. It
      could not be spontaneous if one did not fall away from it. I did not
      deny the existence of spontaneous meditation. I denied that anyone
      goes past the need to meditate.

      >>>you of course may accept that or not ....
      in either case it will
      only be known as truth once you yourself encounter and
      rest therein......

      Bg--As you say we do not differ too much in what we are saying. One
      thing, though, I have noted, and I believe you will agree because I
      think you have a grasp on the essentials, "I" am not resting in

      >>>enjoy your journey.....

      >>>to nowhere to go but finding the here and the Now as it IS........
      minus the delusionary plays of mind and ego...

      >>>shanti om ...g..

      In my post on Patanjali (#5)I mentioned a level he calls virama
      pratyaya. It is between object oriented samadhi (sabija, which is
      sporadic) and nirbija samadhi (objectless). P. calls this
      the "other" type. He says it is possible to be caught there.

      I am not saying virama pratyaya is not reality. And I am not picking
      on you Ganga, as different than anyone else about this. The point is
      that to go beyond that sporadic level, efforts need to be redoubled
      and not treated dismissively. I have a lot of respect for all the
      people on this list. We would not be here if we did not care about
      the same thing. I am here to discuss it and I am willing to listen
      with my heart to what you have to say. It would not be a discussion

      Bobby G.
    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 79 of 79 , Feb 3, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > I am still a few days behind. However this quote seemed a
        nice fit for the
        > daily practice thread.
        > ...Tony
        > Charlotte Joko Beck
        > How old were you when you started meditating?
        > Beck: Thirty-nine, forty, somewhere in there.
        > Did you have any realization through meditation?
        > No. Of course we have realizations, but that's not what really
        > practice.
        > Will you say more about that?
        > I meet all sorts of people who've had all sorts of experiences
        > they're still confused and not doing well in their life.
        > are not enough. My students learn that if they have so-called
        > experiences, I really don't care much about hearing about
        them. I just
        > tell them, "Yeah, that's OK. Don't hold onto it. And how are you
        > getting along with your mother?" Otherwise, they get stuck
        > It's not the important thing in practice.
        > And may I ask you what is?
        > Learning to deal with one's personal, egotistical self. That's the
        > work. Very, very difficult.
        > There seems to be a payoff, though, because you feel alive
        instead of
        > dead.
        > I wouldn't say a payoff. You're returning to the source, you might
        > say-what you always were, but which was severely covered by
        your core
        > belief and all its systems. And when those get weaker, you do
        > joy. I mean, then it's no big deal to do the dishes and clean up
        > house and go to work and things like that.
        > Doing the dishes is a great meditation-especially if you hate it.
        > Well, if your mind wanders to other things while your doing the
        > dishes, just return it to the dishes. Meditation isn't something
        > special. It's not a special way of being. It's simply being aware
        > what is going on.
        > Does sitting meditation prepare the ground to do that?
        > Sure. It gives you the strength to face the more complex things
        > your life. You're not meeting anything much when your sitting
        > your little mind. That's relatively easy when compared to some
        of the
        > complex situation we have to live out way through. Sitting gives
        > the ability to work with your life.
        > I read your books.
        > Oh you read. Well, give up reading, OK?
        > Give up reading your books?
        > Well, they're all tight. Read them once and that's enough.
        Books are
        > useful. But some people read for fifty years, you know. And they
        > haven't begun their practice.
        > How would you describe self-discovery?
        > You're really just an ongoing set of events: boom, boom, boom,
        > boom, one after the other. The awareness is keeping up with
        > events, seeing your life unfolding as it is-not your ideas of it,
        > your pictures of it. See what I mean?
        > How would you define meditation?
        > Awareness of what, mentally, physically.
        > Can you please complete the following sentence for me. "The
        > experience of meditation is..."
        > "...awareness of what is."
        > "Meditative awareness has changes my life in the following
        > "It has changed my life in the direction of it being more
        > more satisfactory, more joyful, and more useful, probably."
        Though I
        > don't think much in those terms. I don't wake up in the morning
        > thinking, I'm going to be useful. I really think about what I'm
        > to have for breakfast.
        > "The one thing awareness has taught me that I want to share
        with all
        > people is that..."
        > I don't want to share anything with all people.
        > Who do you want to share with?
        > Nobody. I just live my life. I don't go around wanting to share
        > something. That's extra.
        > Could you talk about that a little bit?
        > Well, there's a little shade of piety that creeps into practice. You
        > know, "I have this wonderful practice, I want to share it with
        > everyone." There's an error in that. You could probably figure it
        > yourself.
        > I think that's something I need to learn.
        > You and I know there's nothing that's going to make me run
        > faster than somebody who comes around and wants to be
        helpful. You
        > know what I mean? I don't want people to be helpful to me. I
        > want to live my own life.
        > Do you think you share yourself?
        > Yeah, but who's that?

        G: i agree with this in the way that *realizations* and
        *experience* is used these are transitory and fleeting.... i call
        them insights and phenomena....
        this is quite different than *Realization* which blows out
        conceptual insights and phenomena ....

        shanti om ..g..