Re: Daily Practice

  • dragonpuffs7777
    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hello. I love daily meditation and believe that nearly everyone can
      benefit from it.

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "musicman153
    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 79 of 79 , Feb 3, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > I am still a few days behind. However this quote seemed a
        nice fit for the
        > daily practice thread.
        > ...Tony
        > Charlotte Joko Beck
        > How old were you when you started meditating?
        > Beck: Thirty-nine, forty, somewhere in there.
        > Did you have any realization through meditation?
        > No. Of course we have realizations, but that's not what really
        > practice.
        > Will you say more about that?
        > I meet all sorts of people who've had all sorts of experiences
        > they're still confused and not doing well in their life.
        > are not enough. My students learn that if they have so-called
        > experiences, I really don't care much about hearing about
        them. I just
        > tell them, "Yeah, that's OK. Don't hold onto it. And how are you
        > getting along with your mother?" Otherwise, they get stuck
        > It's not the important thing in practice.
        > And may I ask you what is?
        > Learning to deal with one's personal, egotistical self. That's the
        > work. Very, very difficult.
        > There seems to be a payoff, though, because you feel alive
        instead of
        > dead.
        > I wouldn't say a payoff. You're returning to the source, you might
        > say-what you always were, but which was severely covered by
        your core
        > belief and all its systems. And when those get weaker, you do
        > joy. I mean, then it's no big deal to do the dishes and clean up
        > house and go to work and things like that.
        > Doing the dishes is a great meditation-especially if you hate it.
        > Well, if your mind wanders to other things while your doing the
        > dishes, just return it to the dishes. Meditation isn't something
        > special. It's not a special way of being. It's simply being aware
        > what is going on.
        > Does sitting meditation prepare the ground to do that?
        > Sure. It gives you the strength to face the more complex things
        > your life. You're not meeting anything much when your sitting
        > your little mind. That's relatively easy when compared to some
        of the
        > complex situation we have to live out way through. Sitting gives
        > the ability to work with your life.
        > I read your books.
        > Oh you read. Well, give up reading, OK?
        > Give up reading your books?
        > Well, they're all tight. Read them once and that's enough.
        Books are
        > useful. But some people read for fifty years, you know. And they
        > haven't begun their practice.
        > How would you describe self-discovery?
        > You're really just an ongoing set of events: boom, boom, boom,
        > boom, one after the other. The awareness is keeping up with
        > events, seeing your life unfolding as it is-not your ideas of it,
        > your pictures of it. See what I mean?
        > How would you define meditation?
        > Awareness of what, mentally, physically.
        > Can you please complete the following sentence for me. "The
        > experience of meditation is..."
        > "...awareness of what is."
        > "Meditative awareness has changes my life in the following
        > "It has changed my life in the direction of it being more
        > more satisfactory, more joyful, and more useful, probably."
        Though I
        > don't think much in those terms. I don't wake up in the morning
        > thinking, I'm going to be useful. I really think about what I'm
        > to have for breakfast.
        > "The one thing awareness has taught me that I want to share
        with all
        > people is that..."
        > I don't want to share anything with all people.
        > Who do you want to share with?
        > Nobody. I just live my life. I don't go around wanting to share
        > something. That's extra.
        > Could you talk about that a little bit?
        > Well, there's a little shade of piety that creeps into practice. You
        > know, "I have this wonderful practice, I want to share it with
        > everyone." There's an error in that. You could probably figure it
        > yourself.
        > I think that's something I need to learn.
        > You and I know there's nothing that's going to make me run
        > faster than somebody who comes around and wants to be
        helpful. You
        > know what I mean? I don't want people to be helpful to me. I
        > want to live my own life.
        > Do you think you share yourself?
        > Yeah, but who's that?

        G: i agree with this in the way that *realizations* and
        *experience* is used these are transitory and fleeting.... i call
        them insights and phenomena....
        this is quite different than *Realization* which blows out
        conceptual insights and phenomena ....

        shanti om ..g..