Re: Daily Practice

    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 1, 2003
      "judirhodes <judirhodes@z...>" <judirhodes@z...> wrote:
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > I think it is likely that for 99+% of people, meditation is the
      > > valuable bridge that Ganga speaks of,
      >
      > ******* There really is no bridge, it's either one or the other and
      > never the twain shall meet.

      Well, actually it can be said that everything "meets" and is connected
      in all ways, always, and no-thing is ever never.
      There is a traditional and ancient way of looking at meditation as
      being like a boat that takes you from one shore to the other. But
      there are a few ways to look at this. There's a great Sufi story where
      Mullah Nasrudin is seen walking around town carrying a boat on
      his back. When asked why he was doing it, he replied "Well, it got me
      here and if I ever need it, I'm ready to go." So, in one way, we can
      infer that he is teaching us how silly it is to keep clinging to a
      "Way" when one has already arrived at the destination. After all, he
      is always seemingly the perfect fool that we all have within us, and
      is constantly demonstrating this in his actions. But in another
      perspective, it can be seen that perhaps he is teaching us that we can
      have a "use as needed" relationship with the technique that
      "works/worked" for us. We've all seen many Enlightened people who sit
      in meditation even after the Realization of their Enlightenment, and
      thus, the "no longer needed" position that their meditating takes. So,
      wassup with that? Perhaps just to set an example, perhaps because
      that's what they do, or perhaps to ????? But in any event, there is no
      better thing you can do for yourself, no better tried and true way to
      get to the "no longer needed" position of meditation, than by
      meditating.
      Using the boat analogy again, it is said that just as the wake that
      the boat leaves behind it doesn't propel the boat in any way, the past
      doesn't help us get from one shore to the other. And by looking at the
      past (our "wake"), at what we have been doing, at the things we have
      labled as suffering, at all that isn't here, now, etc., we are just
      spending time in illusion and delusion. As all meditation takes place
      now, in the present, it is automatically a more realistic position to
      be in to see what you are doing Now. And when Realization takes place,
      that present/gift of Grace alone, will be in the present.
    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 79 of 79 , Feb 3, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > I am still a few days behind. However this quote seemed a
        nice fit for the
        > daily practice thread.
        >
        > ...Tony
        >
        > Charlotte Joko Beck
        >
        > TRUE STORIES ABOUT SITTING
        >
        > How old were you when you started meditating?
        >
        > Beck: Thirty-nine, forty, somewhere in there.
        >
        > Did you have any realization through meditation?
        >
        > No. Of course we have realizations, but that's not what really
        drives
        > practice.
        >
        > Will you say more about that?
        >
        > I meet all sorts of people who've had all sorts of experiences
        and
        > they're still confused and not doing well in their life.
        Experiences
        > are not enough. My students learn that if they have so-called
        > experiences, I really don't care much about hearing about
        them. I just
        > tell them, "Yeah, that's OK. Don't hold onto it. And how are you
        > getting along with your mother?" Otherwise, they get stuck
        there.
        > It's not the important thing in practice.
        >
        > And may I ask you what is?
        >
        > Learning to deal with one's personal, egotistical self. That's the
        > work. Very, very difficult.
        >
        > There seems to be a payoff, though, because you feel alive
        instead of
        > dead.
        >
        > I wouldn't say a payoff. You're returning to the source, you might
        > say-what you always were, but which was severely covered by
        your core
        > belief and all its systems. And when those get weaker, you do
        feel
        > joy. I mean, then it's no big deal to do the dishes and clean up
        the
        > house and go to work and things like that.
        >
        > Doing the dishes is a great meditation-especially if you hate it.
        >
        > Well, if your mind wanders to other things while your doing the
        > dishes, just return it to the dishes. Meditation isn't something
        > special. It's not a special way of being. It's simply being aware
        of
        > what is going on.
        >
        > Does sitting meditation prepare the ground to do that?
        >
        > Sure. It gives you the strength to face the more complex things
        in
        > your life. You're not meeting anything much when your sitting
        except
        > your little mind. That's relatively easy when compared to some
        of the
        > complex situation we have to live out way through. Sitting gives
        you
        > the ability to work with your life.
        >
        > I read your books.
        >
        > Oh you read. Well, give up reading, OK?
        >
        > Give up reading your books?
        >
        > Well, they're all tight. Read them once and that's enough.
        Books are
        > useful. But some people read for fifty years, you know. And they
        > haven't begun their practice.
        >
        > How would you describe self-discovery?
        >
        > You're really just an ongoing set of events: boom, boom, boom,
        boom,
        > boom, one after the other. The awareness is keeping up with
        those
        > events, seeing your life unfolding as it is-not your ideas of it,
        not
        > your pictures of it. See what I mean?
        >
        > How would you define meditation?
        >
        > Awareness of what, mentally, physically.
        >
        > Can you please complete the following sentence for me. "The
        > experience of meditation is..."
        >
        > "...awareness of what is."
        >
        > "Meditative awareness has changes my life in the following
        way..."

        > "It has changed my life in the direction of it being more
        harmonious,
        > more satisfactory, more joyful, and more useful, probably."
        Though I
        > don't think much in those terms. I don't wake up in the morning
        > thinking, I'm going to be useful. I really think about what I'm
        going
        > to have for breakfast.
        >
        > "The one thing awareness has taught me that I want to share
        with all
        > people is that..."
        >
        > I don't want to share anything with all people.
        >
        > Who do you want to share with?
        >
        > Nobody. I just live my life. I don't go around wanting to share
        > something. That's extra.
        >
        > Could you talk about that a little bit?
        >
        > Well, there's a little shade of piety that creeps into practice. You
        > know, "I have this wonderful practice, I want to share it with
        > everyone." There's an error in that. You could probably figure it
        out
        > yourself.
        >
        > I think that's something I need to learn.
        >
        > You and I know there's nothing that's going to make me run
        away
        > faster than somebody who comes around and wants to be
        helpful. You
        > know what I mean? I don't want people to be helpful to me. I
        just
        > want to live my own life.
        >
        > Do you think you share yourself?
        >
        > Yeah, but who's that?

        G: i agree with this in the way that *realizations* and
        *experience* is used these are transitory and fleeting.... i call
        them insights and phenomena....
        this is quite different than *Realization* which blows out
        conceptual insights and phenomena ....

        shanti om ..g..