Re: Daily Practice

  • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 1, 2003
      <musicman153@h...>
      > > wrote:
      > >

      > > > Greetings one and all,
      > > > Looking forward to getting to know you all. After joining this
      > > > group several days ago I've been watching with amazment
      at
      > > the number of members posting on a regular basis.
      Curiosity
      > > has me wondering if everyone here has a daily meditation
      > > Practice. I participate in several groups and have found few
      > > dedicated to the pursuit of Higher Consience enough to take
      the
      > > time to turn off the television perhaps light a candle and still
      > > oneself for long enough to realize that everythings ok. I know
      for
      > > me the most difficult thing to do was to disipline myself to
      take
      > > time daily to practice.
      > > > Just to let you know I click on those links you leave, If
      > > someone posts something interesting I look at their profiles
      find
      > > their homepages and generaly put a personality with the
      poster
      > > lol!
      > > > Peace
      > > > music
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/il3/ulcspirit
      > >

      > > G: there are some that may disagree with this but i say yes a
      > > meditation practice is quite valid .... it is a way to allow the
      > mind
      > > to still and subside.... it also gives one the chance to really
      > > encounter all the mind drama that happens for most
      > > *unconsciously* every day..... in this you can see and then
      > > question these patterns.... eventually you get to the point
      where
      > > it naturally arises to question the "I" identity and belief
      > directly.....
      > > Once that is broken through then the conditioinings fall
      away.....

      > Hello Ganga and Music:
      >
      > Thank you Music you are right I believe. I meditate.
      >
      > I disagree Sri Ganga:
      >
      > There is no time in anyone's life when daily meditation is not
      > beneficial!
      >
      > The world of potential disturbance does not cease in its daily
      > challenge and meditation meets that challenge.
      >
      > The mind reacts to constant pressure from this world.
      Meditation
      > needs to be constantly reaffirmed, especially before and after
      sleep.

      > > eventually you will find that the tool of meditation is no longer
      > > required for the mind will remain in a stilled state.... what
      > > thoughts rise will be like clouds with no substance..... at that
      > > point one remains in meditation without the need to do active
      > > meditation....
      >
      > Remaining in meditation does not exclude the wonderful habit
      of the
      > asana. It is like saying having fun is not necessary as long as
      you
      > are having fun.
      >

      > > whatever comes will be encountered in Pure Awareness
      minus
      > > the minds ramblings and judgements and catagorizations....
      > > the past and future ruminations will be at an end ... the Now
      will
      > > be encountered as it IS.... Peace will be the heart center of
      > your
      > > awareness and not something clung to or manufactured....
      there
      > > will simply be a calm center in the midst of any rising storm
      that
      > > may appear on the surface..... you will no longer be drug out
      into
      > > another maelstrom of mind and it's resulting emotional
      > > upheavels.....
      > >
      > > so yes.... i say that meditation practice is valuable until it
      > falls
      > > away as a tool and bridge no longer needed.... it is not the
      end
      > > within itself but is a bridge to encounter what is already here
      in
      > > clear way.....
      > >
      > > shanti om ..g...
      >
      > As a pep talk I can agree that there is reason to say that
      meditation
      > practices may change at some point.
      >
      > Love
      > Bobby G.

      G: of course to you meditation remains a needed practice....
      so you feel that it will always need to remain in place....
      we are not really saying such different things... one needs
      not sit in a certain position to be within a stilled and open
      mind state that is called meditation.... there comes a time
      when this is ongoing... it is no longer a *practice* that
      needs to be accessed by sitting and attempting to put it into
      place.... it is an ongoing spontaneous reality ......

      many scriptures speak to this as well.... perhaps you just
      have not encountered it as yet and therefore deny its
      validity .... but i can say that Yes it can and does exist ....

      you of course may accept that or not .... in either case it will
      only be known as truth once you yourself encounter and
      rest therein......

      enjoy your journey.....

      to nowhere to go but finding the here and the Now as it IS........
      minus the delusionary plays of mind and ego...

      shanti om ...g..
    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 79 of 79 , Feb 3, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > I am still a few days behind. However this quote seemed a
        nice fit for the
        > daily practice thread.
        >
        > ...Tony
        >
        > Charlotte Joko Beck
        >
        > TRUE STORIES ABOUT SITTING
        >
        > How old were you when you started meditating?
        >
        > Beck: Thirty-nine, forty, somewhere in there.
        >
        > Did you have any realization through meditation?
        >
        > No. Of course we have realizations, but that's not what really
        drives
        > practice.
        >
        > Will you say more about that?
        >
        > I meet all sorts of people who've had all sorts of experiences
        and
        > they're still confused and not doing well in their life.
        Experiences
        > are not enough. My students learn that if they have so-called
        > experiences, I really don't care much about hearing about
        them. I just
        > tell them, "Yeah, that's OK. Don't hold onto it. And how are you
        > getting along with your mother?" Otherwise, they get stuck
        there.
        > It's not the important thing in practice.
        >
        > And may I ask you what is?
        >
        > Learning to deal with one's personal, egotistical self. That's the
        > work. Very, very difficult.
        >
        > There seems to be a payoff, though, because you feel alive
        instead of
        > dead.
        >
        > I wouldn't say a payoff. You're returning to the source, you might
        > say-what you always were, but which was severely covered by
        your core
        > belief and all its systems. And when those get weaker, you do
        feel
        > joy. I mean, then it's no big deal to do the dishes and clean up
        the
        > house and go to work and things like that.
        >
        > Doing the dishes is a great meditation-especially if you hate it.
        >
        > Well, if your mind wanders to other things while your doing the
        > dishes, just return it to the dishes. Meditation isn't something
        > special. It's not a special way of being. It's simply being aware
        of
        > what is going on.
        >
        > Does sitting meditation prepare the ground to do that?
        >
        > Sure. It gives you the strength to face the more complex things
        in
        > your life. You're not meeting anything much when your sitting
        except
        > your little mind. That's relatively easy when compared to some
        of the
        > complex situation we have to live out way through. Sitting gives
        you
        > the ability to work with your life.
        >
        > I read your books.
        >
        > Oh you read. Well, give up reading, OK?
        >
        > Give up reading your books?
        >
        > Well, they're all tight. Read them once and that's enough.
        Books are
        > useful. But some people read for fifty years, you know. And they
        > haven't begun their practice.
        >
        > How would you describe self-discovery?
        >
        > You're really just an ongoing set of events: boom, boom, boom,
        boom,
        > boom, one after the other. The awareness is keeping up with
        those
        > events, seeing your life unfolding as it is-not your ideas of it,
        not
        > your pictures of it. See what I mean?
        >
        > How would you define meditation?
        >
        > Awareness of what, mentally, physically.
        >
        > Can you please complete the following sentence for me. "The
        > experience of meditation is..."
        >
        > "...awareness of what is."
        >
        > "Meditative awareness has changes my life in the following
        way..."

        > "It has changed my life in the direction of it being more
        harmonious,
        > more satisfactory, more joyful, and more useful, probably."
        Though I
        > don't think much in those terms. I don't wake up in the morning
        > thinking, I'm going to be useful. I really think about what I'm
        going
        > to have for breakfast.
        >
        > "The one thing awareness has taught me that I want to share
        with all
        > people is that..."
        >
        > I don't want to share anything with all people.
        >
        > Who do you want to share with?
        >
        > Nobody. I just live my life. I don't go around wanting to share
        > something. That's extra.
        >
        > Could you talk about that a little bit?
        >
        > Well, there's a little shade of piety that creeps into practice. You
        > know, "I have this wonderful practice, I want to share it with
        > everyone." There's an error in that. You could probably figure it
        out
        > yourself.
        >
        > I think that's something I need to learn.
        >
        > You and I know there's nothing that's going to make me run
        away
        > faster than somebody who comes around and wants to be
        helpful. You
        > know what I mean? I don't want people to be helpful to me. I
        just
        > want to live my own life.
        >
        > Do you think you share yourself?
        >
        > Yeah, but who's that?

        G: i agree with this in the way that *realizations* and
        *experience* is used these are transitory and fleeting.... i call
        them insights and phenomena....
        this is quite different than *Realization* which blows out
        conceptual insights and phenomena ....

        shanti om ..g..